Trails in U.P. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Trails in U.P.

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-04-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
ayosick
2002 KJ Liberty 

Trails in U.P.

Hey are any trails that anyone knows of that are in the area of Houghton, Michigan. I go to college at Michigan tech and we are looking for some wheeling trails that are in the area.

Unread 11-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
luc
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I went to Lake State in Sault Ste Marie - If you are interested in trails in the EUP I can hook you up. Mich Tech used to have a 4 Wheel club - about 5 years ago that is.
Unread 11-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
ayosick
2002 KJ Liberty 

yeah we still have MTU fourwheelers. We are just looking for more trails since one of our main places got closed down.
Unread 11-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
slingerofmud
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Southeast Michigan/Central Michigan, Southeast Michigan
Is there still that cliff road up north of Calumet? I think that was the name of the road. I got my jeep severly stuck out there...
Red Jeep Club #500
Unread 11-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
ayosick
2002 KJ Liberty 

I haven't been up that way. I will have to check it out. We usually head to whealkate and mud there.
Unread 11-04-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
builder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think there are a few trails out near Boston. At least there was at one time.
Unread 11-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #7
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Cliff drive - is that still open. Was a pretty fun place that and the mud flats at the bottom. Last time we went there the mud flats were flooded so I didn't try it being solo and all.

I see the MTU 4 wheelers was mentioned - you can check out there website for some trails and ask whats open and not. Or are you a member already, and just looking for more trails? I know the land is being gobbled up pretty quick up there by private people and thats closing off a lot of land. I believe NMU has a 4x4 club too - can always check them out for more trails. Most of my trail running outside of MTU was around Michigamme area - still a good amount of open land there.
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:23 PM   #8
craizychair

cliff drive is still opened last I heard. I am a member of the MTU fourwheelers and they seem to have been doing alot of wheeling out by painsdale. Just stay away from wheelkade! Me and my buddy managed to get both of our jeeps stuck out by the mud flats trying to get our vehicles off the road for some winter camping. Luckily a colorado came down the road and pulled me out so I could pull my buddy out. Anyway the club runs every weekend up untill snowmobile season. Stocker run is this weekend I believe. Most of those guys can point you to some decent trails.
5.5" lift (spring under), AMC 360ci V8, bronco 8.8 rear (mini-spool)
Unread 11-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Chicago, but have been up there many times. If you have the time, go up to Copper Harbor, and then go to the beginning of U.S. 41. Right behind it is a path that says "Dead End" or something, but thats where the fun begins. Some sweet spots to check out are Highrock Bay and Mouth of Montreal, which are right along the shores of Lake Superior, and Schlatter Lake is really nice as well. Get yourself a detailed map , it's truly a great place at the tip of the Keewenaw. Its no hard-core offroading, but I had a blast there this past summer w/ a buddy of mine, and the scenery is beautiful. Check out this video for a better idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENCIH6NaoE (4 parts).
Unread 11-10-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am still debating making a small ORP on my land up there. Sucks cause its only 80 acres, but looking at buying 40 more now, with hopes to buy even more after that. Got one pretty technical trail now, that gives my atv a workout and it has 4x4 and lockers front and rear. The trail could easily create rollovers in a few areas. This would be in more of the mid to mid west section of the UP - Michigamme.
Unread 11-10-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
slingerofmud
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Southeast Michigan/Central Michigan, Southeast Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR View Post
I live in Chicago, but have been up there many times. If you have the time, go up to Copper Harbor, and then go to the beginning of U.S. 41. Right behind it is a path that says "Dead End" or something, but thats where the fun begins. Some sweet spots to check out are Highrock Bay and Mouth of Montreal, which are right along the shores of Lake Superior, and Schlatter Lake is really nice as well. Get yourself a detailed map , it's truly a great place at the tip of the Keewenaw. Its no hard-core offroading, but I had a blast there this past summer w/ a buddy of mine, and the scenery is beautiful. Check out this video for a better idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PENCIH6NaoE (4 parts).

These videos remind me of visiting my sister and other friends up at Michigan Tech and going all over the Keweenaw. Its so awesome over the summers up there. Great stuff!
Red Jeep Club #500
Unread 11-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
ayosick
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yeah we just had the first real snowfall this past weekend. We went up to cliff drive. Lots of the trails had road blocks in them but we go around. We had to stop we my friend started to leak coolant. So much for a custom cooling system.
Unread 11-14-2008, 11:02 PM   #13
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerofmud View Post
These videos remind me of visiting my sister and other friends up at Michigan Tech and going all over the Keweenaw. Its so awesome over the summers up there. Great stuff!
Yeah every season is alotta fun up there, and I can't wait to go up this winter. Thanks for the good word
Unread 11-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
Zach571
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayosick View Post
Yeah we just had the first real snowfall this past weekend. We went up to cliff drive. Lots of the trails had road blocks in them but we go around.

I was gonna offer up some info on wheeling up there, till you posted this. You are looking for more trails to wheel on cause your other "regular" spots are getting closed down?? Going on CLOSED trails is what gets more trails closed Instead of looking for more trails to get closed for others, why don't you put some of this effort into keeping the ones you've already got open??

Zach571
www.wohva.com
Unread 12-14-2008, 10:11 AM   #15
ayosick
2002 KJ Liberty 

I didnt mean that they were closed. there were just trees that had fallen down on the trails. Nobody seems to up keep them. We cleaned the trails up, thats what i meant

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.