Michigan 2-track trips - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > Great Lakes USA > Michigan 2-track trips

Complete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.comEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 04-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
1995Moneypit
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Michigan 2-track trips

I've got my "new" YJ in decent trail condition now and would like to take my boy out for some 4-wheelin through some Michigan trails and camp along the way. I'm starting to look through the DNR ORV maps, but would really like some suggestions on some decent trails. Not looking for anything too crazy since we'll most likely be going solo, but enough to get some use out of the 4x, AT's, and see some good scenery. I live in Jackson County and was thinking of pretty much anything in the Lower Pen.

Unread 04-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
JeepShaun84
2012 KK Liberty 

Welcome from another Michigan resident. My fiance's family is from Michigan Center, and we get down that way often. I know there is Bundyhill off road park in somerset (have not been there, but would like to check it out when i get back on my feet) But the 1 place I go a lot is Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears. I know there are a lot of other places too but those are the main ones I know of. I do recommend Silver Lake, its a lot of fun and very family oriented. Just air your tires down to about 10psi and have fun. Don't worry about getting stuck, there is always someone around that will pull you out.
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
1995Moneypit
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepShaun84 View Post
Welcome from another Michigan resident. My fiance's family is from Michigan Center, and we get down that way often. I know there is Bundyhill off road park in somerset (have not been there, but would like to check it out when i get back on my feet) But the 1 place I go a lot is Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears. I know there are a lot of other places too but those are the main ones I know of. I do recommend Silver Lake, its a lot of fun and very family oriented. Just air your tires down to about 10psi and have fun. Don't worry about getting stuck, there is always someone around that will pull you out.
Passed by Bundy Hill this weekend and definitely planning on going out there in the next couple weeks. Looked like a great time. Was coming back from Traverse a couple weeks ago and stopped by Silver Lake to check that out--looks like a lot of fun too. Will definitely try and fit that in too this summer. Would like to do more of an "extended" trail. Maybe something along Manistee River. I know that Sandy's Corners runs about 100+ miles from Mears to Cadillac, just not sure what route they take. Would like to take a tent and spend the night along the trail...kind of a guys adventure weekend.
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Roadymi
1982 CJ7 

St Helens is a great area...Just east of Houghton Lake. We make many trips / summer up there. There is a 2 square mile scramble area than several orv routes + miles and miles of seasonal roads. I bought GPS ORV maps from VVmapping for my handheld Garmin........great accessory on the trails. They have all of the legal routes and show the seasonal roads.
Unread 04-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
HavenSOV
1973 XJ Cherokee 

Bundy is a great place, Silver Lake is fun.

Up north there is Twisted Trails and Rocks and Valleys. The Mounds near Flint. Plus there are lots of trails up north.

Also if you want meet a whole heck of Jeepers, make plans to go to the Jeep Blessing in Mesick the first weekend in May.
South West Michigan Jeepers

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.