JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Great Lakes USA (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f159/)
-   -   Michigan 2-track trips (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f159/michigan-2-track-trips-1011415/)

1995Moneypit 04-12-2010 06:13 PM

Michigan 2-track trips

I've got my "new" YJ in decent trail condition now and would like to take my boy out for some 4-wheelin through some Michigan trails and camp along the way. I'm starting to look through the DNR ORV maps, but would really like some suggestions on some decent trails. Not looking for anything too crazy since we'll most likely be going solo, but enough to get some use out of the 4x, AT's, and see some good scenery. I live in Jackson County and was thinking of pretty much anything in the Lower Pen.

JeepShaun84 04-12-2010 08:43 PM

Welcome from another Michigan resident. My fiance's family is from Michigan Center, and we get down that way often. I know there is Bundyhill off road park in somerset (have not been there, but would like to check it out when i get back on my feet) But the 1 place I go a lot is Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears. I know there are a lot of other places too but those are the main ones I know of. I do recommend Silver Lake, its a lot of fun and very family oriented. Just air your tires down to about 10psi and have fun. Don't worry about getting stuck, there is always someone around that will pull you out.

1995Moneypit 04-13-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepShaun84 (Post 9272432)
Welcome from another Michigan resident. My fiance's family is from Michigan Center, and we get down that way often. I know there is Bundyhill off road park in somerset (have not been there, but would like to check it out when i get back on my feet) But the 1 place I go a lot is Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Mears. I know there are a lot of other places too but those are the main ones I know of. I do recommend Silver Lake, its a lot of fun and very family oriented. Just air your tires down to about 10psi and have fun. Don't worry about getting stuck, there is always someone around that will pull you out.

Passed by Bundy Hill this weekend and definitely planning on going out there in the next couple weeks. Looked like a great time. Was coming back from Traverse a couple weeks ago and stopped by Silver Lake to check that out--looks like a lot of fun too. Will definitely try and fit that in too this summer. Would like to do more of an "extended" trail. Maybe something along Manistee River. I know that Sandy's Corners runs about 100+ miles from Mears to Cadillac, just not sure what route they take. Would like to take a tent and spend the night along the trail...kind of a guys adventure weekend.

Roadymi 04-13-2010 08:15 PM

St Helens is a great area...Just east of Houghton Lake. We make many trips / summer up there. There is a 2 square mile scramble area than several orv routes + miles and miles of seasonal roads. I bought GPS ORV maps from VVmapping for my handheld Garmin........great accessory on the trails. They have all of the legal routes and show the seasonal roads.

HavenSOV 04-14-2010 06:37 AM

Bundy is a great place, Silver Lake is fun.

Up north there is Twisted Trails and Rocks and Valleys. The Mounds near Flint. Plus there are lots of trails up north.

Also if you want meet a whole heck of Jeepers, make plans to go to the Jeep Blessing in Mesick the first weekend in May.

The time now is 07:02 AM.