Road Trip; need things to see - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North Central USA > Road Trip; need things to see

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-16-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Road Trip; need things to see

We'll be heading to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper -- then to Glacier -- then to Yellowstone -- then to Rocky Mountain NP in July.

We'd like to sight-see and get some dirt on the wheels. No rock-climbing, but not the regular tourist thing either.
Equipment is a 2008 JK Sahara, stock. Only add-ons are comfort and CB. Snap-strap, compressor, shovel, saw, axe, that kind of thing.

Any good roads to suggest?

Thanks.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 06-04-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
We'll be heading to Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper -- then to Glacier -- then to Yellowstone -- then to Rocky Mountain NP in July.

We'd like to sight-see and get some dirt on the wheels. No rock-climbing, but not the regular tourist thing either.
Equipment is a 2008 JK Sahara, stock. Only add-ons are comfort and CB. Snap-strap, compressor, shovel, saw, axe, that kind of thing.

Any good roads to suggest?

Thanks.
I'm sooo jealous. That is absolutely beautiful area you are going to see. Especially up at Lake Louise Banff area. My wife and I were up there several years ago. Personally I think the Canadian Rockies are more beautiful than the American side of things. We've also been to Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain NP in the last couple of years. Unfortunately, I can't give you a whole lot of places to wheel in those areas. We never had the Jeep up in Canada so I have no idea up there.

We were in Montana last summer and stayed over night in a couple of different ranger stations that they now rent out. One of them was way out in the back country. It was south of Enis and west of West Yellowstone. To get to our cabin we drove on part of a road called the Gravely Range Road. I would call this basically an unmaintained scenic road. We didn't drive the entire road and some parts might be rougher than what we drove. But for the most part it was passable in 2wd. I really only used 4wd on the way out because it was pouring rain. Because it rained all week my view was also quite limited. So I really don't know exactly how beautiful it is. But from what I saw it looked pretty nice and I want to get back out there again sometime and drive the full Gravelly Range Road. Here is a map of the general area. You'll have to do more research on the road and decide where you want to drive it. I think its broken and doesn't run all the way through in places. But since you have a Jeep that may be just what you want. I just don't know how rough it gets. Then again it may be easier than you want. But its one place to check out. Here is a mapquest link to the general area. http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...ge+Road&zoom=4
If you like ghost towns, check out Virginia City and Alder along with a couple of others in the same area. I was a little dissappointed as they have parts of the original towns fenced in and charge you to go see them. So it seems a little too touristy to me. But it was still kind of neat.

Rocky Mountain National park is quite beautiful as well. My wife and I were out there 2 years ago. We drove a nice trail in more southern Colorado south of Glenwood Springs that went out to Chrystal Mill. But that is a long way from Rocky Mountain NP. We did drive one small "trail" within the park. But this is really just a one way gravel road. You will see lots of cars and minivans on this road. But it is still enjoyable since it gets you off the main road a little. The trail is called the Fall River Road. You can view this trail and others at www.traildamage.com. There are a lot of trails in Colorado. There are even a couple of them near Rocky Mountain NP. So check them out at traildamage.com. Here is the link to Fall River Road which is right in the park.
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=122

I hope this helps you a little bit. Let us know how your trip goes and post some pictures if you can. I hope you have at least 2-3 weeks set aside for this trip. Because quite frankly, I think you could spend 2 weeks up at Lake Louise/Jasper area alone especially when you include Glacier NP. Yellowstone would also be easy to spend a week at. Then another week in Northern Colorado would just get you started with some nice trail riding.

I might be wrong but I don't think you will find much for trail riding up in Canada. Montana has a lot of fire roads that you can go out on but nothing is really marked. If you find some MT guys on the forum send them a PM. I'm sure most of them wont mind going out with you or telling you where to go. Your best chance for doing some trail riding will be the last leg of your trip in Colorado. If you go to www.traildamage.com you will find maps and some awesome descriptions of the trails out there.

So take in all the normal tourist stuff up in Canada, Glacier, and Yellowstone. Maybe drive the Gravelly Range Road if you have time. Then enjoy some trail riding your last few days in CO.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Unread 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #3
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Fargo, that Traildamage site is great!
Thanks.
I called the FS and they're sending me a map of dirt roads in the Black hills, my wife found a site for Banff, and Estes Park looks like it'll be fun.
We used to "Combat Tour" on a motorcycle --- 1000 miles a day for several days on end. We're trying to get accustomed to staying in one place for more than a day or two --- I guess I should've just picked two locations and stayed longer at each. But we'll have fun; I like to drive ALL DAY...
Thanks again for the story and links.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 06-29-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
MT_Ranger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

While I'm not familiar with that end of the MT, (It's almost 300 miles west), I recommend that you plan for possibly going around Logan Pass. Last I checked, which was a week ago, the highway was still under 10 feet of snow.

As for trails to take, check with the clubs at: http://www.m4x4a.org/

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to my home.
Unread 07-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Logan Pass was great!!!
I can't believe how beautiful (and uncrowded) the whole Rockies region is...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.