1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited (low miles!)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited
94235 miles (~6500 since I bought it last September)
5 Firestone Destination AT's (245/75/16, about 5000 miles on them, rotated twice) on Niner rims
A mostly Kolak-sourced OME HD lift
-OME HD coils
-Bilstein 5100 shocks
-IRO adjustable control arms all around
-JKS adjustable track bars, front and rear
-Moog Steering Stabilizer
-Addco front sway bar
-Aftermarket end links to adjust for new height (not discos)
-New jounce bumper and cups up front, hockey pucks RTV'd to spring mount/pad
Kevin's Offroad Steering box brace
New Tie rod, drag link, and TRE's
New Spicer ball joints
New Timken front wheel bearings
New (remanufactured? Cant remember right off hand, but they aren't the bottom shelf reman jobs) ) brake calipers all around
Stillen pads in rear, Black magic up front (because variety is the spice of life)
Stillen cross-drilled rotors in rear, Centric Premiums up front (see above)
850 CCA Die Hard Platinum battery, sticker says March 2013
Goodyear Gatorback belt and idler pulley
Flushed and replaced antifreeze and tranny fluid, replaced tranny filter added plug to tranny pan
Changed fluid in transfer case and both differentials
Work done by others:
Parking/E-brake replaced and set by a mechanic friend
Front AND rear differentials serviced by East Coast Gear Supply in Raleigh (replaced all bearings/seals front and rear, rebuilt LSD clutch pack, replaced front yoke with U-joint style [currently running a u-joint front drive shaft from a 2000 XJ])
Just passed NC state inspection a couple of weeks ago. No problems.
And some other stuff I'm forgetting...
Issues / potential issues:
- Steering is still a *little* more loose than before the lift. But I've never driven ANY lifted vehicle before, so this may be completely normal. Or maybe the steering box needs to be adjusted. Haven't gotten around to that yet.
- The typical leak where transmission fluid enters the bottom of the radiator. I have a B&M aux. cooler that I've been meaning to install, and planned to replace that radiator fitting at the same time.
- Rear wiper doesn't wipe cleanly. Drives me crazy.
- Driver's side mirror had done the auto-dim fluid dump thing when I bought it. For now, just a cheap RockAuto ZJ mirror glued over it. Auto-dim and defrost obviously don't work.
- Had the annoying driver's seat memory issue. No matter what I did, it wanted my head against the ceiling. I pulled the door panel and disconnected the memory wire. Problem solved, in my opinion.
- There is some binding (groaning?) near full steering lock. Not sure if that means the VC is starting to go out, or not. It certainly doesn't chirp tires, hop, or anything like that. I have read that this may be normal operation for VC-equipped ZJ's ("Just means it's doing its job!"), but again, I don't know. I've been meaning to run it by an expert, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
- That's about it, as far as I can currently recall. Everything else works more or less as designed.
If I think of anything else, good or bad, I'll edit this post to add it.
All work, unless otherwise specified, has been done by me (a meticulous person about this kind of thing), and all in the last 10 months.
share a link to this item
share a link all items by sanktheboat
Share this item on other forums
Embed on eBay!
|11-01-2013, 09:04 AM||#4|
I wasn't crazy about the red pinstripe when I bought it. Planned on taking it off with one of those 3M eraser wheels, but strangely, I never noticed it after I installed the lift. Literally. It popped out at me at stock height, but seemed to disappear immediately after 3" of lift. Must be the angle... I'm 5'10". Maybe it'll stick out more if you're 6'1". :-D Anyway, it's above the clear coat and should be easy to remove. I just haven't bothered.
Eugene, what do you mean by "too far away?"
|11-01-2013, 10:57 AM||#5|
For me to drive right now.
It's a little more than I'd pay anyways.
Nice niner though.
|11-02-2013, 08:34 AM||#6|
I should probably clarify here:
I am selling this Jeep, and giving the money to my father to put toward a truck for himself. For right now, he's driving it. (Don't worry, he drives about 4 miles a day. And he's driven like a Driver's Ed instructor his entire life.)
I don't NEED to sell it. Heck, I don't even WANT to sell it. :-D But I love my old man, and what he wants is a truck. If someone offers me $6000 for this ZJ, it's theirs. But I'm not in a big hurry.