Wrangler Performs Poorly In Snow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wrangler Performs Poorly In Snow?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #1
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Wrangler Performs Poorly In Snow?

I'm not sure what's causing this but my 2006 Wrangler TJ Can't handle the snow. BMW's zoom past me while I'm trying to keep from sliding all over the road. I usually drive in 4H if the roads are bad. I've never had a Wrangler before so I'm wondering if this is normal? My old Cherokee was a champion in the snow. I have 31" BF Goodrich AT's (Baja Champions) are these bad snow tires? Any thoughts/Suggestions?
I was looking forward to winter.

DirtyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
Junky burp
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I see the tires come in "traditional" and "different" tread pattern. Are these the one's you mean?

BFGoodrich Tires | Baja T/AŽ | Tire Overview#

Maybe some other jeepers had theirs' "sipped" and will tell you how great they are now.

Do you have limited slip differentials?

Are real winter tires for an option for you?
Junky burp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #3
DirtyRabbit
2001 XJ Cherokee 

NO they look different than the ones pictured. Theres a lot more pattern in the tread. I might go get them sipped and see what that does. I had it done on my old saturn and it seemed to help.
DirtyRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thats fugged up, it shouldn't be that bad.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #5
ritjobbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

IMO, it's harder to get a feel for when you are going to slip on snow and ice in an auto. Just my experience.

Are you plowing straight in corners? Is the back end sliding around everywhere? A good amount of siping makes a HUGE difference. My old TSLs SUCKED A HAIRY BEAST in the snow, ice, and rain on pavement.
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #6
herkload37
2008 JK Wrangler 

I love the way my Wrangler handles on snow. Never would've made it to the store last winter without the Jeep!!
herkload37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 12:58 AM   #7
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a similar problem, but mostly when it comes to stopping distance, but I have my almost-bald Wrangler RT/S's to blame for that! OP, do you ever have problems when waiting at a red light w/ your foot on the brake? I remember a few times last winter it was slippery out, and I literally had to put the Jeep in neutral to keep the tires from rotating and causing me to move forward at a red light, even though the brake was pressed in all the way. That was the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me during winter driving, and I sure as heck hope its my bad tires and nothing else.
WsRpAoNrGtLtEjR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Those bfgs have made my jeep unstopable in snow until they get down to about 50% tread and then they may as well be drag slicks. How much tread do you have left? a new one is 17/32 I believe
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
ray022085
1993 YJ Wrangler 

what are the best tires for the snow? now that we have had our first snowfall of the season i'm remembering why i don't like driving the thing in these conditions, i have 29" BFG KO's
ray022085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 08:58 PM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I love the way it handles in the snow. BMWs have trouble keeping up with me. Stop bein so heavy on the pedal man, just because it's 4x4 doesn't mean you can go fast.

Jeeps are very light therefore they slide easier...that and they are SWB trucks. You gotta get used to it. BFG KOs pack easily in the snow and have a stupid hard compound which also contributes to the sliding (have experience with this). I recommend goodyear duratracs for a sick all around (specially in winter) tire. I just had these in 1.5+ feet of snow today and i couldn't get stuck if i tried.
Unread 12-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #11
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray022085 View Post
what are the best tires for the snow? now that we have had our first snowfall of the season i'm remembering why i don't like driving the thing in these conditions, i have 29" BFG KO's
Those bfgs are the best thing short of full on snow tires ive found, Im suprised you're having trouble with them. How much tread is left on them ?
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The trick is... drive with your right foot
ClimbStuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
mightydog78
2013 JK Wrangler 

i dont think any wrangler can handle really icy snow. had mine in 4WD high and just couldnt keep it together when turning on ice

Charlotte, NC / Southport, NC

Mechanical Engineer
mightydog78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
olds442
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had my first experience in snow earlier tonight with our JK. I thought it handled everything pretty well. It has the rubicon BFG M/Ts on it...
VT
olds442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #15
blackattak
2004 LJ Wrangler 

TJs are a light vehicle compared to the Cherokee & this makes them a little less stable on slippery condition & the short wheel base doesn't help. take your time & it will get you any where. The bottom line, in winter driving, is your vehicle is only as good as your tires. In 6" plus of snow on the streets my MTZs are awesome BUT on light dustings on the street or ice they are far inferior to my BFG ATs. Nothing beats a Top Quality snow tire, but I can easily make due with my BFG ATs.
2004 LJ- 33X12.5 Mickey MTZs, Mickey Classic II wheels, 4.88 Yukon Gears, 3" BDS SL, Rockhard Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier & Rockers. Oil Pan, Warn Gas Tank Skid. & Differentials armoured, Iggee Seat Covers, Warn M8000 winch.AEV TT & tranny skid, radiator & steering box skids
blackattak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.