Would you buy a set of discontinued tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Would you buy a set of discontinued tires?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Would you buy a set of discontinued tires?

I found a set of five 33" Cooper AT3's for sale for $139ea. This size has been discontinued, so future spare replacements will probably be impossible. That has me nervous as the last two sets of tires I've purchased have had belts slip rendering them useless for regular service. I'm also looking at the General AT2 ($145) and Cooper ST Maxx ($192). My preferences in order are AT3, AT2, Maxx. The Maxx is the heaviest at 60lbs compared to 52lbs of the other two. I log 6-7000 street miles per year, avoid mud, and stick to mild-moderate trails. I only have the Jeep right now, so I have to be careful on trails.

What would you do?

JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

There does not seem to be that much price saving (AT3 vs AT2) unless you just really want that tire.

One option, if available, would be to buy 5, and do 5 tires rotations. Then if one gets damaged. You have a ready replacement. Then use something different for the spare.

This gives you a bit of insurance, at a price, if you really want this tire.

Tires patterns get discontinued all the time. It's a gamble.
Unread Yesterday, 07:04 AM   #3
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I found a set of five 33" Cooper AT3's for sale for $139ea. This size has been discontinued, so future spare replacements will probably be impossible. That has me nervous as the last two sets of tires I've purchased have had belts slip rendering them useless for regular service. I'm also looking at the General AT2 ($145) and Cooper ST Maxx ($192). My preferences in order are AT3, AT2, Maxx. The Maxx is the heaviest at 60lbs compared to 52lbs of the other two. I log 6-7000 street miles per year, avoid mud, and stick to mild-moderate trails. I only have the Jeep right now, so I have to be careful on trails.

What would you do?
You mention that the last 2 sets of tires you bought had belts slip. What brand tires were those as that would factor into my decision making process as well. If they were Coopers that would make me think long and hard at that. Curious to find out what brands they were.

Provided those failures weren't Coopers, I would have no problem buying a discontinued tire given your described usage.
Unread Yesterday, 09:38 AM   #4
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the C AT3 and AT2 GG both bought this year. I put 20k+ a year on my vehicles and so far, Hands down the general AT2's have gone above and beyond IMO. Just now showing signs or some wear, Quiet, And they grip everything shy of thick mud. They also have thicker sidewalls so cuts wouldn't be a problem.

The AT3's, They look good sitting, That's about it IMO. Swapped out old style mud tires for them, Worst mistake ever made. No more snow traction like previous, It makes it through, But not like the m/t's. Same with mud etc only place they are ok, Is how quiet they are on the highway. Not a bad tire, Just not for me and or any of my needs.

If you do go with them, Buy 6 since they are cheap. You will have a matching spare since that's important to most to match, Plus you will have a un mounted spare should a belt go, Debris on road etc that could kill a tire. If you never use it, Sell it or keep it if you are running the same size and are not anal.
Many options, But to skip the BS, Go with the GG AT3's and be done for 50k+, If that's the AT2 you are referring to. Good luck either way
Unread Yesterday, 10:59 AM   #5
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
You mention that the last 2 sets of tires you bought had belts slip. What brand tires were those as that would factor into my decision making process as well. If they were Coopers that would make me think long and hard at that. Curious to find out what brands they were.

Provided those failures weren't Coopers, I would have no problem buying a discontinued tire given your described usage.
KM2 on my Jeep. And whatever is on my wife's Civic, Michelin's I think but not positive. Plus my dad has had a terrible run with tires. Of the last 5 sets (of five difference brands) he's purchased, he's had at least one go bad before the first rotation. None of them have been a Cooper brand though. But it's always a possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
I have the C AT3 and AT2 GG both bought this year. I put 20k+ a year on my vehicles and so far, Hands down the general AT2's have gone above and beyond IMO. Just now showing signs or some wear, Quiet, And they grip everything shy of thick mud. They also have thicker sidewalls so cuts wouldn't be a problem.

The AT3's, They look good sitting, That's about it IMO. Swapped out old style mud tires for them, Worst mistake ever made. No more snow traction like previous, It makes it through, But not like the m/t's. Same with mud etc only place they are ok, Is how quiet they are on the highway. Not a bad tire, Just not for me and or any of my needs.

If you do go with them, Buy 6 since they are cheap. You will have a matching spare since that's important to most to match, Plus you will have a un mounted spare should a belt go, Debris on road etc that could kill a tire. If you never use it, Sell it or keep it if you are running the same size and are not anal.
Many options, But to skip the BS, Go with the GG AT3's and be done for 50k+, If that's the AT2 you are referring to. Good luck either way
The AT3 was my #1 only b/c of a lack of reviews of the GG AT2's. 99% of the reviews I found were on the Toyo's.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:28 PM   #6
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
The AT3 was my #1 only b/c of a lack of reviews of the GG AT2's. 99% of the reviews I found were on the Toyo's.

True, But that's what led me to go buy a set of each to try for myself . I know not everyone has that option but with a business card and WTF attitude that week! Im still paying for that one!

I run them on a 01' ZR2 s10 xcab that is comparable to weight of a jeep, Track and stock tire is 31". I ran the original BFG's, Dura's, Authority's, and now the GG AT2. Hands down the best tire all around in any element.

I drive a lot of 1" road rock and backwoods crap, Around the farm and its a DD. The have not cut, Chipped or chunked in the 12k'ish they have on them. Thick/stiff sidewalls and run real close to size.

Perfect traction in any element. Mud they are what they are, But I have yet to get stuck or 'have' to lock it in to be safe unless deep in the fields.
Rain, Sleet, Snow, Ice I was able to drive the speed limit with 100% control and no slipping in 2wd, But used 4wd to be safe. They channel water out great and hydroplaning is slim to none.

Highway and DD, They are quiet IMO and stick like glue no matter the surface. They didn't knock the mileage down via the heavy weight of them nor did the tread. They never flat spotted when I had to lock up the brakes twice and balanced with little to no weight.
For an a/t tire, They are the best option IMO. I log a lot of miles on a lot of vehicles so I always try something new. Next time around, Everything short of my jeep, Will have the GG AT2's on them next time around.

I know its only one 'semi review', But when rolling on both daily you get to test out tires. I like the AT2 for the job. Nothing with frills and super side biters, But will get the job done as good or better every time! Hope this helps a little!
Unread Yesterday, 08:32 PM   #7
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post

Good info, thanks for sharing.

Thanks Mike d for posting up what the tires were.
Unread Today, 12:16 PM   #8
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have to agree about the GG AT2s. I've had them on my XJ for about 10k now and I like them very much. Snow and rain traction on road is very impressive, and when off road they go anywhere I point them. I'm no hardcore off roader, just mild to moderate. I agree about the mud also. It clumps, but that's true for just about any a/t. Sidewalls are amazing. I've scuffed them pretty good and no cuts yet. Over all, awesome a/t.
JMH21814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 06:20 PM   #9
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure I would ever buy a discontinued tire unless it was at least 50% off. All the issues mentioned here plus... why is it being discontinued... slow sales or is there a manufacturing/warranty issue?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.