WJ - Best tire size/tire on cragar soft 8's with no lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > WJ - Best tire size/tire on cragar soft 8's with no lift?

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
slemmon1
2001 WJ 

WJ - Best tire size/tire on cragar soft 8's with no lift?

I'm attempting to make my first modification to my WJ. I need new tires and itll cost me about $650 for new ones on the Chrome 17's, so i would like to upgrade my winter setup. I am getting some cragar soft 8's soon, and would like to EVENTUALLY get a lift, but for now i will be stock. Any suggestions on the best, beefiest, and biggest tire size/tire on cragar soft 8's with no lift? Thanks!

slemmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
slemmon1
2001 WJ 

oh and the wheels are 15"
slemmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:30 AM   #3
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Parnelli Jones 31 X 10.5 R15 are the tallest tires I know of that are call 31s. They run 31.5" tall, which is a full 1" taller than most brands of 31. It's the biggest tire you can fit on a stock TJ, IMO.

I don't know about WJ, but if it will fit a typical 31, it can probably fit this one, and you get a bit bigger tire.

If you aren't sure if it'd fit, then a slight step down in size to one of the tires that runs true to height for a 31. That's Trxus, MTR-K, and Toyo MT. The Trxus runs about 1/2" narrow (which is good for your fitment). The MTR-K and Toyo MT run about 1/2" wide (which might be a problem for fit).

I like the treads very much of the PJ, Trxus, and MTR-K. Of all these, I like the PJ and Trxus best for being great hybrid treads. The MTR-K is also a great hybrid, but it's reputation in mud doesn't sound very good.

The Toyo is to heavy, IMO, and not to great in mud either, or winter roads. It's not a bad tire, but you can do better, IMO.

For size, all the above. For all purpose performance, I think PJ or Trxus. For max height that might fit, the PJ.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.