Without beadlocks how low can you safely go? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Without beadlocks how low can you safely go?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Without beadlocks how low can you safely go?

I am running 38.5" super swamper SX's on my custom made beadlocks that the PO had made. I've tried re-centering the bead (even though I think the are installed correctly) and nothing I have done stops my tires from bouncing around up and down and side to side. I tried balancing beads but nothing I do works. I know that BIAS ply tires such as the super swamper SX's are not going to run super smooth but I just want to be able to run without bouncing all over the road. Many guys in my jeep club say that the rims are causing most of my problems. I found some second hand rims for cheap and will try them out but was wondering what you guys thought, should I expect more from my super swampers and what is the lowest pressure I can safely run without beadlocks? I'd like to run 10 PSI when needed, is that too low?

D0T-C0M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

A lot depends on tire width and wheel width. I ran 10 psi on my 33x12.50 Trxus MTs on a 10" rim and almost every trip when I came back I would have minor leaks from mud making its way into the bead. It would even do that around 15-18 PSI as well.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #3
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick reply. What stops the mud from getting in the inside bead on a beadlock rim when running low pressure?

BTW, I'm running 38.5x14.5-15 and I'm going to put them on 10" wide rims.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

The bead being bolted to the rim.

You may be fine at 10 psi but it's going to depend on driving style. I do a lot of driving on my side.

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mostly what this depends upon is the conditions you encounter. Rock climbing usually does not debead tires. Sand and mud is what does the job on them. If you plow sand or mud with the sidewall of the tire, even 15psi may de-bead. But, if you are running on rocks and straight ahead hills, 10psi is quite doable. The higher profile of the tire, the more leverage the mud or sand has on the bead. so a tall tire like your super swampers will be at a little more at risk than others.

Learn hoe to re-bead them on the trail without equipment, run closer to 15 than 10 and stay away from off camber hills with mud or sand.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Guys all great info. I will probably not run on side inclines as the above poster suggested because it makes my wife nervous since I flipped my jeep on its side LOL. I was wanting to run lower pressures around 8-12PSI when breaking trails in the winter snow and to make the ride smoother on gravel roads and the odd mud hole I was thinking around 12-15PSI. I will most definitely rig myself up to rebead my tires in the field if the situation arises.

As far as balancing goes should I have the wheels balanced and then after unbead one side of the tire and insert beads or beads should not be needed? These BIAS ply tires are notoriously bad where balancing goes so I'm thinking the balancing beads will auto compensate for mud and other crap accumulating on the rims.
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
The bead being bolted to the rim.

Didn't he ask about the inside bead (and I don't think he was running double beadlocks)?
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Airing down don't do much until you hit single digits. 15psi on my jeep is just a 'low' tire. I run 12.50's on a 8" wheel and run 5-8psi for maximum traction otherwise its pointless. In snow/cold, They go to 5psi off and 15psi on road. To each their own
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #9
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0T-C0M View Post
Thanks Guys all great info. I will probably not run on side inclines as the above poster suggested because it makes my wife nervous since I flipped my jeep on its side LOL. I was wanting to run lower pressures around 8-12PSI when breaking trails in the winter snow and to make the ride smoother on gravel roads and the odd mud hole I was thinking around 12-15PSI. I will most definitely rig myself up to rebead my tires in the field if the situation arises.

As far as balancing goes should I have the wheels balanced and then after unbead one side of the tire and insert beads or beads should not be needed? These BIAS ply tires are notoriously bad where balancing goes so I'm thinking the balancing beads will auto compensate for mud and other crap accumulating on the rims.
You should be perfectly fine at those pressure levels. Realistically you could go lower.

As far as balancing, I'd try just beads. That works fine for me with admittedly easier to balance MTRs, but with the variation that you'll see with your bias plys I'd think even a better fit perhaps.
Unread 09-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
D0T-C0M
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Didn't he ask about the inside bead (and I don't think he was running double beadlocks)?
Yes its single beadlock rims that i have.
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #11
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with KKiowa and at the sand dunes 6 LBS is common and 4 LBS when extra brave 15 while trail riding is sweet. Moabs and MTRs.
Start lowering til you get scared.then a couple pounds lower.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've been running 10/9 psi front/rear on my rig with no issues. 35" MTR's on 15x8 wheels. Some pretty hardcore rock crawling in there with no issues. Could probably go down a few more psi with no issues actually, but haven't found a need.
Unread 09-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

depends on terrain and driving style.

i usually run 6-8 PSI in my tires (38.5x16-15 TSL's) with little issue. any lower than 6, i have blown beads. if i run faster trails, i bump it up to 10 PSI or so, but just crawling around i keep it lower.

run low pressure, just be prepared to re seat a bead in the even it happens, because it will happen. Keep an air supply/compressor and ether and matches handy as well.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have personally re-beaded several of other guys' tire who were running 6-8psi in mud. It is a messy, sometimes dangerous task depending on the position of the rig.

Saying that 6psi is a good safe pressure is like yelling "look ma, no hands." 90% of the time there is no problem. But a tire inflated to 6psi can be easily de-beaded on purpose by anyone who has a little experience in mud. All one has to do is head down the muddy hill, apply the brakes and turn the wheels sharply to the left, and wait. If there is a tree root in the picture it is a sure thing. I've seen it a dozen times. So, it happens accidentally now and then.

A novice who asks the question about minimum psi should go nowhere near 6psi. A tire presents twice as big a foot print at 16 as it does at 32 and 25% more at 12. That is usually more than enough in the footprint department.

Re-beading a tire on the rim is a lot more difficult than it looks especially when the tire has 5 pounds of mud between the rim and tire and the rig is sitting on a 15 degree angle. Removing a rim and tire at the bottom of a creek or culvert is yet another unpleasant task. If one needs to run at 6 psi, get some beadlocks and call it a day. My rigs have internal tube type beadlocks and I can run at zero psi.
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
mattl
1986 CJ7 

The old 36" Swamper TSL's I had blew a bead at 5 lbs while climbing a rocky hill. As previously noted, it relates to the type of wheeling you do.
I ordered beadlocks after that incident because of the danger factor of re-seating the bead on the side of the hill. I figured it made for safer wheeling trips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.