winter tires for Wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > winter tires for Wrangler?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #1
jwliebejy
2007 TJ Wrangler 

winter tires for Wrangler?

Hey guys,
Do I need 4 winter tires for driving in eastern Canada?
I am going to Quebec and Ontario during winter.
Thanks~

jwliebejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

some all terrains like the BFG all terain KOs would help alot

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
bigbike
1995 XJ Cherokee 

general grabber at2 are great alternatives to BFG AT.
bigbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I run normal street tires. as long as you can drive and are not an idiot you will do fine with any tire

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2008, 08:42 PM   #5
FransWhiteXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check out this thread from below.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=620869&page=2

If you drive in icy conditions and studded tires are allowed up north, you may want to try studded snow tires. They provide great stopping power.

Fran
Unread 11-09-2008, 05:51 AM   #6
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a dedicated winter on road tire, I'd go with Blizzaks or http://www.greendiamondtire.com/. If you don't want a second set of tires, I'd go with a set of A/T's for year round driving. Personally, I run my STT's year round. Surprisingly good in winter, and they're even siped.

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
SHAKEnBLAKE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

related question:
is a mud terrain or an all terrain better in the snow? it seems like snow tires for cars resemble an AT more than MT.
SHAKEnBLAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

All terrains are better in the snow. Mud tires are not designed for that and I believe they can get clogged and turn into slicks.

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=550786
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
Canfourjeep
2000 TJ Wrangler 

tires

I tried them and BF Goodrich AT and Goodyear AT are worthless in ice. You need a real winter tire. They are a lot softer and work better. If you have a YJ there are not many tires that will do good in ice as it is too short and spins like a top..
Canfourjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2008, 12:04 AM   #10
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You have to account for short wheel base for the wrangler, Plus most jeeps are not exactly heavy rigs. I drive with in reason when there is snow and when "black ice" is possible. I tried BFG A/T's and because of me always driving SWB jeeps, They IMO are worthless. You cant depend on them off-road in snow, Off road i mean as in possibly a ditch, Or gravel roads, as they are not fun in snow, Ice and hard pack snow plus trying to go and play in drifts, I wasn't gonna chance it with a/t's.

Any mud tire i have used in snow on vehicles in the past have served me well. Some more than others, But i have never had a problem accelerating or stopping, And turning was the same on both tires. And if you look at the side wall of a m/t, It says M+S, Meaning mud/snow, Or at least what i was told by many of the dealers i buy from. I just want the added traction for deep snow. Its always fun to hit a drift, And i have never had a set that wouldn't clean out and "slick"up.

Just my opinion as i have had tried both sides more than once, And always find myself running m/t's. Plus its a jeep, I view most of them as off-road vehicles and should run a decently aggressive tire. But in the end its "your" rig and you have to buy what will suit you best. If i had to pick an a/t, My vote goes to the d!ck cepeck fun country II's. Great looking tread and side biters, Semi aggressive tread with mileage of 50k plus. Good luck
Unread 11-11-2008, 07:44 PM   #11
Flynjp
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwliebejy View Post

Hey guys,
Do I need 4 winter tires for driving in eastern Canada?
I am going to Quebec and Ontario during winter.
Thanks~
Hi there. What part of Canada are you from? I'm in northern Manitoba. Considering the good chance of freezing rain and nasty slush out east you should be running real winter tires. I have Blizzaks on my 06 Liberty. They are so impressive on ice and in snow, I can't say a bad word about them. About 15 years ago I had Goodyear Wrangler MTs on my Comanche. They dug really well in deep snow and on the lakes, but they were a hard rubber compound. In Canada, in winter, we should all be using true winter tires. Getting moving is one thing. But when it comes to stopping, the soft rubber and siping in the treads are worth every penny. Nokian makes some really good tires too. Quebec and BC (I think) now have made winter tires mandatory. Time for a Keith's Red Amber Ale.
Flynjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:43 AM   #12
jprs_peeprs
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Boy,
The differing opinions make it real difficult gain a common consenus.

C.
jprs_peeprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 03:33 AM   #13
JeepitoErgoSum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprs_peeprs View Post
Boy,
The differing opinions make it real difficult gain a common consenus.

C.
Maybe you will get a better consensus on which wench is best, if you choose the wrong snow tires
JeepitoErgoSum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:21 PM   #14
Flynjp
2011 JK Wrangler 

I would tend to lean toward winter tires because if you have them, you can also get out the way of somebody who doesn't. Which is why I'm still here today. The full size truck that totally lost control on an icy highway only had crappy all season tires. The compact car I was in had Blizzaks. Instead of colliding head-on, I was able to turn away enough so we hit broadside. Still wrote off both vehicles, but no one was seriously hurt. I know this is an almost never-ending discussion, and I'm not a tire salesman, but I will always have winter tires and summer tires from now on. And while I'm going on and on, watch out for the tires that have a mountain/snowflake symbol as well as M+S. They do meet the minimum requirements for a winter tire, but they are not the same as a Blizzak (for example). The rubber is harder and you won't find nearly as much siping, if any at all. Time for a beer.
Flynjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #15
Bluegill1
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Heres some easy viewing to see some comparisons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8MnCH-Z0QY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGfvy...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-G-j...eature=related

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.