Will a 12.5" wide tire fit on a 7" wheel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Will a 12.5" wide tire fit on a 7" wheel?

Nitro gear change packs!!!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #1
dblplay1212
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Will a 12.5" wide tire fit on a 7" wheel?

I have stock grizzly wheels (15x7) and would like to put some 33/12.5/R15 on them but worried about width. I won't be using these but a few months and won't be wheeling when I have them. Just something to put on the Jeep while it's mid-build.

I searched around but didn't find what I was looking for. Thanks in advance.

dblplay1212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Its possible and has been done but it will be a tight wrap around the rim.
Unread 09-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
LYTSOUT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

any more insight as to why it's suboptimal? might they pop off or something either onroad/offroad, or with 35psi/15psi? or damage/rub something?

hate to poach but i'm wondering the exact same thing and i'd feel like a choad starting a new thread with the same question only to get hazed by dudes with 5000 posts saying "use the search, noob". haha. anyway, i'm tring to weigh 31 vs 32 vs 33 and 10.5 vs 11.5 vs 12.5 on my 15x7" grizzlies +/- 2" BB. thx guys.
LYTSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can mount a 12.50 wdie tire on a 7" wide wheel. I put 35-40k miles on a set of 33x12.50 tires on 7" wide wheels.

Its less likely the tire will come off the wheel compared to a wider wheel.

Were you planning on using wheel spacers? If not, the 5.5" backspacing that Grizzly wheels have will likely cause you some problems. What kind of Jeep do you have?
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
LYTSOUT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

sorry, i'm new to the forum and didn't realize i didn't have my jeep's specs in the profile or sig.

so the 5.5" backspacing on grizzlies will make 12.5's rub inside my tj? could that be fixed with wheel spacers, if so, how big would i need? if not, is there anything else i could get to prevent rubbing?
Unread 09-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
mattwillard06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have 285/75/16 (32.8x11.2) stock rubi rims with 5.5 of backspacing they rub on full turn on the track bars. I have been told to either get wheel spacers or new rims but nobody has said how much. I know that with your tires being 1.3 inches wider they will rub. I also have 2 inches of spring lift. If your just trying to get by during your build I would say just don't turn sharp n you should be fine
mattwillard06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LYTSOUT View Post
sorry, i'm new to the forum and didn't realize i didn't have my jeep's specs in the profile or sig.

so the 5.5" backspacing on grizzlies will make 12.5's rub inside my tj? could that be fixed with wheel spacers, if so, how big would i need? if not, is there anything else i could get to prevent rubbing?
1.25" wheel spacers will work.
Unread 09-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
LYTSOUT
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what about 32x11.50? i'd like to keep my stock grizzly rims and avoid wheelspacers. i'm reading stuff on these forums that rec against them. think 32x11.50 would work? maybe with adjusted steering stops?
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

11.50 will be very close or it will rub the upper coil perch in the rear.

You should stick with 10.50 max width if trying to use Grizzly wheels without wheel spacers.
Unread 04-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #10
rkcustoms
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hello I have just rebuilt my yj every has been renewed etc 4.5" rough country lift my problem lies when I drive it, seems to be all over the road. I have 33 12.50 r15 tyres mounted to stock rims with 55mm hub centric spacers. all steering joints are new and just had tracking (wheel alignment done) the only thing we can find is that the tyres are two wide for rims giving a balloon type effect crowning. making the jeep act wrong. I've ordered some 10j rims hope this sorts it any one had this problem thanks
w.jpg  
rkcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.