Wheels/tires to match offroad trailer and Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wheels/tires to match offroad trailer and Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
Wolfcri
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wheels/tires to match offroad trailer and Jeep

I have a RE BB and a 1" BL in the works and I want to run 32-11.50's or 33's

If I go 33" I am not sure if I will get 10.50's or 12.50's

I really like my factory wheels and I bought a set of jeep steelies to use for my trailer and extra spares.

On the jeep now.

Set of 5 wheels I bought for $60 for the trailer and as additional spares.

My question is: What size spacer will I need to run to clear suspension components of the sizes I mentioned. Will I still rub the 33-12.50's even with the lift I am planning?

I am leaning towards the 32's but there are limited tire choices in that size.

Thanks guys

Wolfcri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The amount of lift will not get you away from all rubbing issues. Spacers will move the wheels out (wider wheelbase) and keep them from rubbing on spring perches and towers and from body rubs at full lock when turning.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I don't know how much lift that BB has. So I cannot comment on vertical clearance of a 33" tire with that BB and BL. It might fit vertically, not sure.

However, I do know that clearing the front swaybar and LCA during turns will be greatly affect by tire width. If you get a 33" tire and put on a stock wheel, I suggest a 33 X 9.5 R15. The Dean SXT is my favorite in that size, and since it's a quarter inch shorter than most 33" tires, that'd help your fit too. The 33 X 9.5 R15 size is not shown on Dean's website, but that size does exist since my local Schwabb store has them in stock and tells me the SXT are still being made in 33 X 9.5 R15 and will continue to be offered.

However, regearing becomes an issue with a 33" tire, though the light, narrow, slightly short Dean SXT 33" tire would be the best 33" tire for clearance and weight, and fit your rims well and clear your swaybar and LCAs well. Still not sure about the vertical height clearance though.

The easiest fit for you, IMO, would be the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip 32 X 10.5 R15 tire. It's officially called a 31 X 10.5 R15 size, but is actually a 32" size. It'd be ideal for your fit, and it's a great tire for all terrains. I think it'd outperform any 32 X 11.5 R15 tire for all around, all purpose, versatility on all terrains and all climates and all weather conditions. It fits stock TJs just fine. So it'd be easy fit for you.

The SXT is also great for all terrains, IMO, and offers more ground clearance and similar flotation (because although it's an inch narrower, it's also an inch taller - so while the contact patch is narrower, it is also longer patch). But fitting the Jeep is most important factor, and also not needing to regear - and the PJ tire is the ideal size for those things.

Note: when I say "all terrains" I mean literally all terrains and all climates because these are hybrid tread tires (a nice crossbreed of AT and MT tread in one tire).

P.S. - BFG AT is available in 33 X 9.5 R15 if you want a great AT tire, but I think the Dean SXT (with extra sipes added to center treads by tire store) is the better tire for two reasons: SXT has a tread that can work on all terrains including mud. The BFG AT has a tread that works on all terrains except mud. So right there the SXT is better. Also, since the SXT is 1/4" shorter than the BFG AT, the SXT would fit easier for you. Though the PJ tire is probably your best bet since easy fit and works for all terrains.

PPS. - since you are in NJ I'll point out that the narrow the tire the better for winter roads. So a 33 X 9.5 R15 would be ideal for that. However, the 32 X 10.5 R15 would be good for winter roads and better for towing than a 33 X 9.5 would.

There is no way you can fit a 33 X 12.5 R15 on a stock rim, IMO. No satisfactory way anyhow. Also, a 12.5 wide tire would not be as good for the winter conditions and mud you're likely to encounter in NJ. A 12.5 would be excellent for sand and rocks, but a 10.5 is good enough on those things (if they aren't your main thing). On road, and especially while towing, you'd be most happy with a 10.5 wide tire, IMO. For towing a 10.5 would be better than a 9.5 (stability reasons) and way better than a 12.5 (power and gearing reasons).

So I suggest the 32 X 10.5 R15 for you. It's clearly your best choice since you are not regearing. Well, the 32 or a 31 X 10.5 R15. Either would be great for you, IMO.

PPPS - I'm to weary to explain in detail, but I want to add that a 32 X 10.5 R15 will (IMO) be a better, easier fit and also outperform any of the 32 X 11.5 R15 tires on most surfaces and on road and towing. That's partly due to fit, width performance reasons, and also because the PJ 32 X 10.5 R15 has one of the best hybrid treads there is for a light SUV.

Last edited by CB3; 05-11-2009 at 07:50 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #4
Wolfcri
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
I don't know how much lift that BB has. So I cannot comment on vertical clearance of a 33" tire with that BB and BL. It might fit vertically, not sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post

However, I do know that clearing the front swaybar and LCA during turns will be greatly affect by tire width. If you get a 33" tire and put on a stock wheel, I suggest a 33 X 9.5 R15. The Dean SXT is my favorite in that size, and since it's a quarter inch shorter than most 33" tires, that'd help your fit too. The 33 X 9.5 R15 size is not shown on Dean's website, but that size does exist since my local Schwabb store has them in stock and tells me the SXT are still being made in 33 X 9.5 R15 and will continue to be offered.

However, regearing becomes an issue with a 33" tire, though the light, narrow, slightly short Dean SXT 33" tire would be the best 33" tire for clearance and weight, and fit your rims well and clear your swaybar and LCAs well. Still not sure about the vertical height clearance though.

The easiest fit for you, IMO, would be the Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip 32 X 10.5 R15 tire. It's officially called a 31 X 10.5 R15 size, but is actually a 32" size. It'd be ideal for your fit, and it's a great tire for all terrains. I think it'd outperform any 32 X 11.5 R15 tire for all around, all purpose, versatility on all terrains and all climates and all weather conditions. It fits stock TJs just fine. So it'd be easy fit for you.

The SXT is also great for all terrains, IMO, and offers more ground clearance and similar flotation (because although it's an inch narrower, it's also an inch taller - so while the contact patch is narrower, it is also longer patch). But fitting the Jeep is most important factor, and also not needing to regear - and the PJ tire is the ideal size for those things.

Note: when I say "all terrains" I mean literally all terrains and all climates because these are hybrid tread tires (a nice crossbreed of AT and MT tread in one tire).

P.S. - BFG AT is available in 33 X 9.5 R15 if you want a great AT tire, but I think the Dean SXT (with extra sipes added to center treads by tire store) is the better tire for two reasons: SXT has a tread that can work on all terrains including mud. The BFG AT has a tread that works on all terrains except mud. So right there the SXT is better. Also, since the SXT is 1/4" shorter than the BFG AT, the SXT would fit easier for you. Though the PJ tire is probably your best bet since easy fit and works for all terrains.

PPS. - since you are in NJ I'll point out that the narrow the tire the better for winter roads. So a 33 X 9.5 R15 would be ideal for that. However, the 32 X 10.5 R15 would be good for winter roads and better for towing than a 33 X 9.5 would.

There is no way you can fit a 33 X 12.5 R15 on a stock rim, IMO. No satisfactory way anyhow. Also, a 12.5 wide tire would not be as good for the winter conditions and mud you're likely to encounter in NJ. A 12.5 would be excellent for sand and rocks, but a 10.5 is good enough on those things (if they aren't your main thing). On road, and especially while towing, you'd be most happy with a 10.5 wide tire, IMO. For towing a 10.5 would be better than a 9.5 (stability reasons) and way better than a 12.5 (power and gearing reasons).

So I suggest the 32 X 10.5 R15 for you. It's clearly your best choice since you are not regearing. Well, the 32 or a 31 X 10.5 R15. Either would be great for you, IMO.

PPPS - I'm to weary to explain in detail, but I want to add that a 32 X 10.5 R15 will (IMO) be a better, easier fit and also outperform any of the 32 X 11.5 R15 tires on most surfaces and on road and towing. That's partly due to fit, width performance reasons, and also because the PJ 32 X 10.5 R15 has one of the best hybrid treads there is for a light SUV.
Thanks for the advise.

That may actually end up saving me a lot of money. I have 2 procomp mud terrains with about 75% tread left that I recently took off my Jeep. I also have a complete set of 4 PepBoys AT's with 90% tread left on them.

With all the 31's I have, I can run AT's on the trailer, Parnelli Jones Dirt Grips on the TJ, and have 2 AT and 2 MT spares.

I can also avoid the 1" BL which I wasnt crazy about anyway and just run the 2" RE BB. That also would save me the cash for all the spacers.

I looked at the Parnelli Jones website and the 31's look like they are 31.5" OD. Is that what you were talking about?

I rarely see much mud where I am located. Almost everything is sand. I am planning on heading out to visit some Marine Corps buddies in Alabama and Oklahoma this summer. If the Fiance comes along, we are going to extend to the Grand Canyon and also hit Moab. Either way, the truck is going to see a lot of dirt this summer so my commuter Michelins have to go.
Unread 05-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcri View Post
I can also avoid the 1" BL which I wasnt crazy about anyway and just run the 2" RE BB. That also would save me the cash for all the spacers.
Sounds like a great plan. Actually, you could even skip the 2" BB and the 32 X 10.5 R15 should run fine and clear (barely). Though the 2" BB would make it look nicer and the extra 2" of clearance at your front and rear bumpers, and your mid-section, would greatly improve your offroad abilities without compromising any onroad abilities. I think you should still get the 2" BB, even though it's not a requirement with 32 X 10.5 R15 tires.

Quote:
I looked at the Parnelli Jones website and the 31's look like they are 31.5" OD. Is that what you were talking about?
Yep. Most brands of 31" tires are 30.5" to 30.8" tall. Most 32" tires are 31.5" to 31.8" tall.

So the PJ tire is actually a 32" tire, even though for some reason PJ calls it a 31" tire. It's ideal for your needs, IMO.

Quote:
I rarely see much mud where I am located. Almost everything is sand. I am planning on heading out to visit some Marine Corps buddies in Alabama and Oklahoma this summer. If the Fiance comes along, we are going to extend to the Grand Canyon and also hit Moab. Either way, the truck is going to see a lot of dirt this summer so my commuter Michelins have to go.
The PJ was made for desert racing (like BFG AT), except the PJ has the added advantage of also being good in mud. Both of those tires are good in winter conditions.

The PJ can do it all on all terrains and all climates year round, but it's first heritage is desert (sand and rocks). So it's ideal for your needs.

For people in general, with a light SUV, the PJ is as good as it gets in a hybrid tire, IMO.

There are other hybrid tires I also like a lot, such as the Dunlop Rover RT, Goodyear Duratrac, and several others by various Cooper subsidiaries, but each only comes in a limited selection of sizes. So it always comes down to the best tire is whatever good tire is available in the size you need.

I think you'll be pleased with the PJ because it's a great hybrid tire and you're getting a great size. I'll bet money that it will easily handle anything that NJ or the desert can throw at it (on your vacation) because this tire is a pedigreed, thoroughbred, desert racing tire that is also well known in Northern climates to excel in the mud and winter conditions you have in NJ. I'm in Pacific Northwest (lots of winter and mud) and my neighbor has PJ tires and they do well here.

It's my bad luck that the PJ isn't made in my size (33 X 10.5 R15). If it were made in my size, I'd own it. Same with Dunlop RT and Goodyear Duratrac and a few others.

Last edited by CB3; 05-13-2009 at 05:33 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
Wolfcri
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Another wrench in the gears, as always...

I sold something I have been trying to sell for a while and now I have most of the money for a 3.5" lift...

Now I am thinking about what the hell I should do again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.