Wheel widening - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wheel widening

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #16
possman18360

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKGeo View Post
an 8.8 isn't much stronger than a Dana 44, which is a stock axle. Plus it's a c-clip axle, so it's a D35 with the strength of a D44.

Either way, you're a twit for running 38.5's on it, not to mention the D30 up front.

Hope you don't bust your balljoints and send one of those into one of my parents' cars while they're on their way to work.
Sorry man, but I'm gonna have to say your an idiot if you think that an 8.8 is between a dana 35 and 44 lol…And you do realize that C-clips has nothing to do with an axles strength right?! C-clips only make a difference if you snap an axle shaft…the axle can walk out…although with factory disc brakes on an 8.8…the axle will not be able to walk out anyway. You should probably know more about axles and rears before you try to talk about and compare them.

possman18360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, I'm aware that the c-clips don't determine strength. But IF you break a shaft, that ruins your day. I also said that an 8.8 isn't MUCH STRONGER than a D44(I.E. it's not between a D35 and D44 in terms of strength alone), then you're adding that extra potential for disaster if you do break a shaft.

Which is highly likely if you "do wheelstands on pavement" with 38.5's.

For me, that brings the 8.8 down a notch relative to the D44. And neither of which I would trust, even with chromo shafts, to running 38.5's.

I'd also like to see you explain how two caliper bolts on a weak cast caliper bracket designed for gradual loading in a rotational direction, not shock loading in a lateral direction, are sufficient to retain a 38.5" tire and broken axle shaft that wants to walk away. But since you're Mr. Knowledgeable, I'm sure you already know that you're full of ****.

There's a reason that it's common knowledge that if you go larger than 36's, it's a good idea to get away from 1/4-1/2 ton running gear. Which is what you're running.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
robertcrav
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I won't get into the discussion of 38s on an d30/8.8

But I've contemplated this myself, to take the 15x7 to 15x8 or 9, to run a 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 a little safer, and make it more asthetically pleasing to MY eye...
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
robertcrav
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I won't get into the discussion of 38s on an d30/8.8

But I've contemplated this myself, to take the 15x7 to 15x8 or 9, to run a 33x12.50 or 35x12.50 a little safer, and make it more asthetically pleasing to MY eye as I like the way the wheel looks, especially if it was like the Willys Edition Wheel, powdercoated afterwards......

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.