Wheel widening - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wheel widening

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-28-2012, 08:48 PM   #1
possman18360

Wheel widening

I've got a couple sets of the factory steel TJ 5 spoke wheels and I'm thinking of cutting them on the lathe and making a set of nice wide wheels. Thought it would be unique since I haven't seen anyone else widen them before, or have they?

To those of you that are about to say it's not worth it...I'm probably going to do it anyway since I like to be different and have something that other people don't haha

possman18360 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What's the point? If it's just because you want to have something other people don't have, I doubt many of us around here have a bullet in the head. To be different just to be different is pretty pointless in my book.
Unread 02-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
possman18360

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
What's the point? If it's just because you want to have something other people don't have, I doubt many of us around here have a bullet in the head. To be different just to be different is pretty pointless in my book.
To each they're own haha...I always get a bunch of questions about all the stuff I drive because it's different from what people have seen, so it makes it fun
Unread 02-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

How wide a tire do you plan on running? Widening the wheels with the same tires could negatively affect ability to air down and thus offroad performance.
Unread 02-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
Keith_C
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by possman18360 View Post
To each they're own haha...I always get a bunch of questions about all the stuff I drive because it's different from what people have seen, so it makes it fun
Unless you made them like 14" wide, I doubt anyone's going to even notice.
Keith_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
possman18360

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
How wide a tire do you plan on running? Widening the wheels with the same tires could negatively affect ability to air down and thus offroad performance.
no I won't do that lol...but I was thinking maybe like 12" wide for the wheel itself since I've got a set of 38.5-15.5-15 on there now
Unread 02-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Junky burp
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm. reminds me of when I cut the centers out of a set of wagon wheels and replaced them with a flat plate 'cause I couldn't get the offset I wanted. It would be great to see pics of this operation.

I've seen cutting, widening done to tractor wheels, but they seldom see speeds over 16mph and most of the time tubed.

And there was a car craft magazine -or something like that (a long time ago), that showed somebody doing it for a race car wheel, but again- not for highway use.....
Junky burp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Tallpaul
1995 YJ Wrangler 

In the mid 70's a buddy used 4 8x15 Corvette rallys to make 2 11.75X15 rallys. Did it on a brake lathe and welded the halves together. I bought the car in 1989 and drove it for 2 years without problems. They did look good with the L-88 flares.

I'd like to do the same with steel rims and mount them on my YJ with small caps and trim rings but have yet to pull the trigger.

Go for it.
Tallpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 09:53 PM   #9
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
no I won't do that lol...but I was thinking maybe like 12" wide for the wheel itself since I've got a set of 38.5-15.5-15 on there now
Wow.

38.5's on widened stock Jeep wheels. Meaning you're still running your stock axles, with the 5x4.5" bolt pattern.

So glad I left the Poconos.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
possman18360

stock axles aren't the only axle with 5x4.5" lol....I swapped an 8.8 into it. Have done many brake stands on dry blacktop on the 38.5's to test the 8.8 durability and she has passed my test....If you think that there's no axle with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern that will hold up to 38.5's...then I'm glad you left the poconos as well lol
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
possman18360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junky burp View Post
Hmmm. reminds me of when I cut the centers out of a set of wagon wheels and replaced them with a flat plate 'cause I couldn't get the offset I wanted. It would be great to see pics of this operation.

I've seen cutting, widening done to tractor wheels, but they seldom see speeds over 16mph and most of the time tubed.

And there was a car craft magazine -or something like that (a long time ago), that showed somebody doing it for a race car wheel, but again- not for highway use.....
My buddy in Staten Island just widened the rear steel wheels for his truck he's building quite a bit with great success and he's very thorough like I am when he makes stuff. He plans on towing with the truck and running it at the track and he's putting down some pretty crazy torque (numbers I'll probably never see in my TJ) so I'm gonna give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen, it doesn't come out right and I toss the unwanted steelies I had laying around? haha
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

38.5's on a d30 & 8.8?
widening stock wheels?
Full of fail.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
possman18360

8.8 will take it without talking back…d30 is expected to explode hahahaha…I'm already starting with these intentions and it's a 2nd vehicle anyway, so it doesn't bother me…I think I might actually challenge myself to see how long I can make a d30 last with 38.5's and an ARB…. especially since I play in the rocks pretty often! So when it does blow apart, I'll probably be making something custom in it, possibly going to build my own hi9 for the front but we'll see.
Unread 02-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #14
possman18360

either way….fail or non fail, I'll be sure to take plenty of pics along the way if for nothing else than to give everybody a good laugh or two if it turns out catastrophic
Unread 03-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
AKGeo
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
stock axles aren't the only axle with 5x4.5" lol....I swapped an 8.8 into it. Have done many brake stands on dry blacktop on the 38.5's to test the 8.8 durability and she has passed my test....If you think that there's no axle with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern that will hold up to 38.5's...then I'm glad you left the poconos as well lol
an 8.8 isn't much stronger than a Dana 44, which is a stock axle. Plus it's a c-clip axle, so it's a D35 with the strength of a D44.

Either way, you're a twit for running 38.5's on it, not to mention the D30 up front.

Hope you don't bust your balljoints and send one of those into one of my parents' cars while they're on their way to work.
AKGeo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.