Wheel/Tire Upgrade Recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wheel/Tire Upgrade Recommendations

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-15-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
xtenson
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wheel/Tire Upgrade Recommendations

Howdy Forum! I just bought my first Jeep, 2000 Cherokee Sport XJ. 120k miles. Got it for a song on EBay and just got the mechanic's bill which explains why. So, now I have 4 new brakes, 4 new Skyjacker shocks, New tailgate struts, New O2 sensors, All new fluids, New Muffler, just put in new H4 Rampage headlights too...and my wheels and tires look kinda old and not as badass as I want them to.

I have a 3.5" Rough Country lift from the prior owner.

Currently running Yokohama Geolanders 31x10.5 R15 on the stock steel wheels.

I'd like to get black rims something like the Crager Black D wheels. Any good recommendations on wheel/tire size?

Should I go for 16" or 17" wheels on the upgrade? Which width would be best? What's the best/largest wheel tire combo I can do on a 3.5" lift? I like the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires and can get them in the same size as current. I really need snow/ice traction with these, less so mud.

Would love to see some pics of different combos too. VERY OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS!

Jeep is black with silver accent line. Anyone see any tires with red letters? Or wheels with red accents? Does it look good? Bad?

Can't wait to mod this rig!

xtenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I recommend 16" wheels. Try to find some load C. Some R16 sizes are available in load C.

For the attributes you want, I suggest Goodyer Duratrac or Hankook ATM.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #3
xtenson
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the direction!
xtenson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Hankook ATM would be most ideal for the needs you describe, IMO.

BTW - aluminum wheels are way lighter (and often better balanced) than steel.

That translates into better acceleration, braking, and gas mileage.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.