Wheel Spacers throw off balance?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wheel Spacers throw off balance??

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
aminne
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel Spacers throw off balance??

So for Christmas I bought myself rough country 1.5" wheel spacers off extremeterrain.com. I put them on correctly and the install went well. I correctly loosened the lugs, jacked it up and loosed the lugs all the way. I removed the wheel, cleaned the hub, and put on the spacers. I put the wheel back on and correctly tightened the lugs in a star patten, removed the jack and tightened completely in a star pattern. 95 ft-lbs of torque. All four where done the same way. The day was warm, about 62 degrees. The balance was completely fine on that day. The next day a storm moves through and the temp drops to 6 degrees and about 4 inches of snow fall. I went out to have some drifting and donut fun only to find my wheel balance to be completely off and a death wobble at 30mph. At this point I'm really pissed off. I took my jeep back to my garage and expected the worse. Except I had found that my lugs were not even finger tight. I simply retorqued the lugs back to 95 in a star pattern. Balance problem fixed!!!! I believe what happened was the metal shrunk slightly in the cold weather and drifting and donuts loosed them. If this happens to you after wheel spacers, the problem is the lugs need to be tightened. Don't think you need $300 for a balance and realignment!! Hope this helps

Last edited by aminne; Today at 04:04 PM..
aminne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 11:20 PM   #2
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

Buy a lottery ticket Thankfully you weren't on the highway when a wheel came off. Good advice!
'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.