Wheel Spacers-Beware!! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wheel Spacers-Beware!!

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #16
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aws91 View Post
Hi all,

I just wanted to say a few words about Synergy Wheel Spacers. I have had them one my jeep for about a month and a half and have had nothing but problems. They were installed correctly and they were re-torqued after about 50 or so miles... However, today my wheel came off my Jeep Tj. Luckily I was not going fast and pulling into a parking lot but it seems the spacers were faulty. Everything they gave me was stripped.

I am lucky it didn't do to much damage. My wheel wen under my fender and caught the body when it fell.I went to a shop and had them removed immediately because the other side was wobbling.
I have since contacted the company and am fighting for a refund.

Just a word of warning. Im glad I didn't take that trail trip last weekend. I would have been in serious trouble.
Errr... Looks like your fault to me.. Tell tale signs of the nuts backing off. I'm not 100% but i think youre supposed to check them more then just once after you put them on. It's not that hard, people, to pull the tires and make sure the spacer nuts are torqued to where they're supposed to be. Either make sure they're tight, or run the risk of loosing a wheel doing 70 on the highway.. I think i'd rather take the 20 minutes to check them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaRigger View Post
What vehicles come stock with wheel spacers?
Some tucks with duallies in the back

Unread 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You said they were stripped, but what exactly stripped? The studs on the axle? The lug nuts that are supposed to hold the spacer to the axle? I can see thread still in the lug nuts on 2 of them. The spacer isn't threaded. That was cut in by the spacer hitting the studs when it was already loose.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #18
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
You can disagree with it all you want, but they are illegal in Ohio and most other states as well. Florida is one state that does not have a law on the books.
Is this an old wive's tale like how beadlocks are illegal?

Can you give me a legal wording that excludes using spacers or adapters? Liftlaws doesn't detail any pertinent legislation. They do however state that in New Jersey and Utah you can't use wheel spacers.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #19
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
Is this an old wive's tale like how beadlocks are illegal?

Can you give me a legal wording that excludes using spacers or adapters? Liftlaws doesn't detail any pertinent legislation. They do however state that in New Jersey and Utah you can't use wheel spacers.
Some states will not issue inspection stickers if the vehicle is equipped with wheel spacers. I think the Utah or Ohio inspection book was posted here a while ago and by their description, SpiderTrax spacers could fall under the category of adapter.

The way I set and checked my spacers was to install with locktite and torque to 100 ft lbs. After about 200 miles, set the torque wrench to 90 ft lbs and checked them. Doesn't break the locktite and it will find any that loosen up. Zero issues on over 20k with spacers.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #20
Aws91
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I retorqued them last week and I dont understand how you are supposed to retorque them but that takes the loctite off. How does that make any sense? Anyway, Im not bashing people who use them, I am just warning people who havent done much research. Because when I did my research I found little negative side effects. Im glad that you have had good luck with them, I wish I did too, because I definitely liked the look better.
Aws91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #21
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aws91 View Post
I retorqued them last week and I dont understand how you are supposed to retorque them but that takes the loctite off. How does that make any sense? Anyway, Im not bashing people who use them, I am just warning people who havent done much research. Because when I did my research I found little negative side effects. Im glad that you have had good luck with them, I wish I did too, because I definitely liked the look better.
Re torquing them will not break the loctite off UNLESS the nut moves. Ie. You set your torque wrench to whatever ft.lbs you want, put it on the nut and tighten, if the torque wrench clicks and the nut never moved, then you still have the 'loctite bond'.
IMO, i still says its owner error and not the spacer's error. The spacer itself didn't 'fail' .The nuts backed off, therefore causing wobble. Which obviously made the wheel unstable, causing the beveled out/oblong (whatever word you want to use)holes you see on the back of the spacer, which at the same time caused the nuts to farther loosen. End result is bent hub/wheel studs, a worthless rotor and the spacer to still be attached to the rim, which at this point isn't on the axle anymore.
If the spacer would fail, it would be a broken spacer stud, broken spacer itself, crack from spacer stud to rotor stud etc. etc.
And in noway shape or form am i trying to stick up for spacers. So dont take this the wrong way
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #22
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

People by nature tend to not do what needs to be done, until it must be done. Things like spacers are in the must be maintained. Many people will just set it and forget it. To me spacers break the KISS adage. The Rube Goldberg art of design of wheels.
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #23
sway1963
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Never saw a set of spacers yet that didn't include the words "FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY"
sway1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #24
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sway1963 View Post
Never saw a set of spacers yet that didn't include the words "FOR OFF-ROAD USE ONLY"
http://www.roughcountry.com/install/1090.pdf

no where here does it say "off road use only"
i'd agree failure to re check on owner part

then again instructions for RC doesn't say to use Loctight (questioning whether or not I should use it when I install my Rc's later, thoughts?)
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
http://www.roughcountry.com/install/1090.pdf

no where here does it say "off road use only"
i'd agree failure to re check on owner part

then again instructions for RC doesn't say to use Loctight (questioning whether or not I should use it when I install my Rc's later, thoughts?)
I've never used loctite on spacers. You don't loctite your lug nuts. I'm not sure why you would loctite the nuts on the spacer.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #26
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgredjeep View Post
I've never used loctite on spacers. You don't loctite your lug nuts. I'm not sure why you would loctite the nuts on the spacer.
that was my thought process, but i'm still pretty n00b on some things
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #27
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

What ft.lbs did you torque them at? How many miles did you put on since you checked them last week?
Unread 05-02-2013, 06:18 AM   #28
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've never used loctite on spacer nuts. I've run spacers on the back for a long time with no problem.

I do go through a seating process that works quite well for me.

1 - torque spacer nuts
2 - mount wheel and torque wheel nuts
3 - drive 10-15 miles
4 - remove wheel and retorque spacer nuts
go back to step 2 and repeat steps 2-4 until there is no movement when you torque the spacer nuts.

I will usually have to retorque the space nuts 2 or 3 times before I'm done. What this does is allows the spacer to properly position itself on the studs and eliminate any movement. Movement, however small it may be, is your enemy here.

Any time a wheel is remove, I will put the torque wrench on the spacer nuts before the wheel goes back on. This means that at a minimum the spacer nuts will be checked at least every 3000 miles when the tires get rotated.

Doing it this way is a bit of a pain in the ***, but it works. I have never found a loose spacer nut when using this method and I've never had a problem with a spacer.
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #29
Aws91
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
I've never used loctite on spacer nuts. I've run spacers on the back for a long time with no problem.

I do go through a seating process that works quite well for me.

1 - torque spacer nuts
2 - mount wheel and torque wheel nuts
3 - drive 10-15 miles
4 - remove wheel and retorque spacer nuts
go back to step 2 and repeat steps 2-4 until there is no movement when you torque the spacer nuts.

I will usually have to retorque the space nuts 2 or 3 times before I'm done. What this does is allows the spacer to properly position itself on the studs and eliminate any movement. Movement, however small it may be, is your enemy here.

Any time a wheel is remove, I will put the torque wrench on the spacer nuts before the wheel goes back on. This means that at a minimum the spacer nuts will be checked at least every 3000 miles when the tires get rotated.

Doing it this way is a bit of a pain in the ***, but it works. I have never found a loose spacer nut when using this method and I've never had a problem with a spacer.

Wish I had done this before! But The second time I checked them, they didnt move. So I thought I was in the clear.
Aws91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #30
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This goes hand in hand with the test that four wheeler magaIne just did. They tested different torque wrenches and torque measuring devices and what the effect of leaving your adjustable torque wrenches under tension does and it actually effects them a lot....especially if you've got a 5 year old torque wrench. And DONT use torque sticks...it has become well known in the ttire industry and recently I was informed by my boss that the TIA (tire institute of america) that using them to torque lug nuts on wheels is no longer an exceptable means of torqueing lug nuts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.