Wheel Corrosion In Salt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wheel Corrosion In Salt

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Silverton34
2012 JK Wrangler 

Wheel Corrosion In Salt

We live in the rust belt and a friend has a set of Rugged Ridge chrome plated aluminum wheels on his new Rubicon. It is not a daily driver and he wants to drive it in the salt once every other week for a club outing. What is a good product to put on the wheels for one day at a time to prevent corrosion? It will get a bath at the end of the day and stored in a garage heated to 60 degrees. Maybe WD40? They are waxed well but they are beautiful wheels (if you like chrome plated aluminum) and he wants to protect the finish. Any ideas would be welcome.

I went with the powder coated AEV Pintlars just for this reason, and lots of black Rustoleum on everything under the Jeep. These heated garages actually promote rust.

Silverton34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Wash with soap and water on a weekly basis and all will be good.Works for and my Jeep is rust free after 9 years,wash it every sunday regardless of rain,snow,or -20 degree temps,actually just washed it 30 mins ago with a outside temp of 26 degrees.
Unread 12-05-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
tjsean0308
1999 TJ Wrangler 

for chomre plated wheel I would think that the biggest concern would be scratches and chips through the plateing. That being said I would use this stuff on it we use it on the boats at work that are bare aluminum in salt water. It works great.
Salt-Away Home Page
Unread 12-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know all too well about Iowa winters. I winterize vehicles for friends and family etc and one has 20's and another 22's. The way i clean, Prep and wax them is simple and actually lasts.
Start by soap and water wash. Then get never dull, Straggly cotton type stuff and go over them a few times with that. It will get dark spots and any other imperfection off. Then i apply a couple coats of eagle nano wheel polish/wax. It leaves a good wax film that mud, Salt, Brake dust can be wiped off with a damp towel or shammy with no water spots or streaks.
I use a couple terry cloths and a few micro fiber rags, Micros from wash on. It takes some time the first time around but after you get a good coat on them, Its easy to keep up. What i usually did was have my buddy swap off the 22's and drop them off. I bring them inside and do a wheel at a time watching TV etc. Makes it easier and also flys by.
He would DD it and wouldn't bring it back until spring for fluid changes, Detailing etc and the wheels always looked good and still had a good coat of wax. But it all depends on if he actually keeps up with his wheels and wants them to remain mirrors. If hes committed to it they will look new every time. Good luck
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A wash and then a wax is certainly the best, but what a pain. I'd just wash and skip the wax. It sounds like it gets it done for tjkj2002
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.