Wheel balancing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wheel balancing

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Bobsgym
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wheel balancing

Do wheels go out of being balanced? I started to get some vibrations in the front end at about 55 mph. I took the Jeep in to get it looked at. Nothing was loose or bent. So they balanced all 4 wheels and now the vibrations are gone. Just wondering if anybody else has problems with wheels needing to be rebalanced every so often.

Bobsgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, as the rubber from the tire wears it does so unevenly causing the vibrations. This is the reason I rotate and rebalance my tires every 6k to get the most that I can out of them.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Like said above, tires can and do get out of balance. But not to the same extreme.

My wife's Camry hardly ever needs a balance, just a rotation, but my jeep and truck need a balance every rotation.

I think it's a combination of many factors, vehicle, tires, driving habits, etc.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can also lose a wheel weight, which would instantly unbalance your tire.

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I've never actually experienced this), but I believe that airing down your tires on the trail could, under the right conditions, lead to a tire rotating in relation to the wheel, which could also unbalance it.
JEK3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Bobsgym
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys.
Bobsgym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
You can also lose a wheel weight, which would instantly unbalance your tire.

Correct me if I'm wrong (as I've never actually experienced this), but I believe that airing down your tires on the trail could, under the right conditions, lead to a tire rotating in relation to the wheel, which could also unbalance it.
you mean the tire slips on the bead. Most times you would have lost the bead and end up flat. Rock crawling will eat tires up and they go out of balance a lot as they chunk out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.