What's the Difference Between... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > What's the Difference Between...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #1
Canuck262

What's the Difference Between...

A BB with an add-a-leaf and one with a shackle? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Unread 11-10-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know leaf spring suspensions that well but one thing for sure, an add-a-leaf will sure make it ride a lot stiffer.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #3
dynamite44

if your leaves are in bad shape, an add a leaf will provide a longer lasting lift than a shackle lift would. i made the mistake of putting shackles on the back of my XJ to try and boost the sagging rear end. the shackle just accelerated the negative arch of the leaves. now ive gotta spend like 150 for new springs, plus 60 or so for add a leafs to fix what i didn't do right the first time.

shackles are easy, 2 bolts in either side, but add a leafs are better if you care about your springs.

the very best way to do things is to replace the springs, but its hard to find budget-boost sized full leaf packs aside from those made by OME, and those are pretty expensive.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
TellyDSP
Poland and PPV!!!!
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck262
A BB with an add-a-leaf and one with a shackle? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
I mostly see BB referenced for TJ's as a puck placed on top of the coil. On an XJ, I'm going to assume the option is a coil spacer in front with an AAL(add-a-leaf) or a BB(Budget boost) with a shackle lift. The AAL will create a stiffer ride as mentioned. Your doing just as it sounds. Adding a shorter arched leaf to your pack. Helps add some arch and stiffness to your existing pack. A Shackle lift will replace your existing shackles with taller ones. If you're springs are sagged and shot, this will only creat the illusion of an improvment but you'll still need new springs. Taller shackles in the back arent as bad as the front. In the front they can affect your approach angles and handling.

IMO, if your springs are in decent shape, I would go with the shackles. As long as they're not too tall. Bout an 1 1/4 or so wqould be as high as I would go. You can always use them in conjunction with new springs if you ever decided to add lift springs. Same thing you can do wth the pucks. Then again opinions are like...

SIRA4x4 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeples
n00bs bashing n00bs, it's a pitifull thing.
TellyDSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.