Whats the diff between Body Lift and Suspension Lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Whats the diff between Body Lift and Suspension Lift?

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 01-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #1
loudog3114

Whats the diff between Body Lift and Suspension Lift?

Im looking for a cheap inch or so, what is better that wont make the ride any worse?

loudog3114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #2
doublins
1998 TJ Wrangler 

if all you need is one inch, the obvious choice is a 1" bodylift- installs in 45 min with hand tools in a parking lot, costs just $100, and will not affect vehicle safety/performance negatively at all.

However, if you're looking to get more, body lifts over 1" are not recommended as their safety in an accident is questionable to say the least. Anything over 1" requires a suspension lift.

For 2" of lift, look at Rubicon Express' Budget Boost kit, for about $250 or so, will give you a 2" suspension lift without sacrificing ride quality. Throw a 1" body lift on that for a grand total of $350 or so, and you have 3" of safe, cheap, effective lift.

-Chris

My Magnum V8 Build Thread:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-magnum-tj-project-whoops-my-stroker-wiped-its-cam-bearings-1516649/[/url]
doublins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #3
loudog3114

I was thinking for some reason that body lifts were the spacers that go on top of the coils... now im thinking im wrong. Where exactly do the spacers go? Im a bit confused, I heard that the radiator fan hits if you use a 1" body lift... but arent the engine mounts on the body? Maybe im wrong and they are on the chassis? Either way, is there anything else that needs to be done if I do a 1" body lift (to prevent the fan from hitting for instance).
loudog3114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 10:14 AM   #4
Av Native

The body lift is spacers that go between the body and the frame where the body mounts, If you do a body lift, you will either need to do a motor mount lift or remove and redrill your fan shroud to move it up with the body, the motor mounts are bolted to the frame so the motor mount lift stays bolted to the same place but the mount is one inch taller.
A budget boost is spacers that go between the spring and the mount to set the whole frame up two inches.. same thing as going with a longer spring but cheaper..
If you want to do the job correctly, do the motor mount lift with the body lift, that way if you do the BB you drive line angles will be better for less chance of vibes..
JC fab rockers and 1" seat lift
33"BFG MT's
Nth degree adjustable upper arm
Nth degree lower arms
Power trax front locker
Av Native is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 12:57 PM   #5
WVZJ
1998 ZJ 

You can also get 1" Coil spacers to put on top of your coils instead of the body lift. For a few more bones you might as well get a 2" coil spacer. Either way I would go with the coil spacers over the body lift. I have never been a fan of body lifts.
07 Ram 2500 5.9 ctd
WVZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
Joel77
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZJ
You can also get 1" Coil spacers to put on top of your coils instead of the body lift. For a few more bones you might as well get a 2" coil spacer. Either way I would go with the coil spacers over the body lift. I have never been a fan of body lifts.
But with coil spacer you MUST change your shocks because they will become short.

Joel
Joel77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
WVZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel77
But with coil spacer you MUST change your shocks because they will become short.

Joel
You wouldn't have to change shocks with just 1" spacers, if you felt they weren't long enough you could add bump stop. Most shocks work within a range of 2-3". Not just one certain height.
07 Ram 2500 5.9 ctd
WVZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
Chrisca

You wouldn't have to change shocks with just 1" spacers, if you felt they weren't long enough you could add bump stop.
The bump stop doesn't extend the length of the shock. It still has the same amount of travel
The bump stop simply keeps the shocks from compressing too far.
This is helpful when you get bigger tires to keep them from rubbing the fenders or wheel well.
With a 1" lift, the original shock will simply be extended out 1 inch further than it normally is.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.