What's better: 10.5 or 12.5 wide tires? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > What's better: 10.5 or 12.5 wide tires?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What's better: 10.5 or 12.5 wide tires?

I've been looking at BF Goodrich ATs and noticed there's 33x10.5 and 33x12.5? What width should I get? My current ATs are 31x10.5, is wider better?

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

They each have their place. I run two sets of tires. One is a 12.5 wide and one is a 10" wide. Snow, mud, rocks, gravel, daily driving.... What are you gonna use it for?
Unread 06-03-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I ran 33 10.5 on my 4 cyl TJ so I could salvage as much power possible. They are much lighter than 12.5s and did a fine job inever condition Maine could provide.
Cavitation is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
afusco1222
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavitation View Post
I ran 33 10.5 on my 4 cyl TJ so I could salvage as much power possible. They are much lighter than 12.5s and did a fine job inever condition Maine could provide.
Loss of power from a taller tire and an increase in unsprung weight from bigger tires have nothing in common. You will not notice a loss in power from a narrower tire.
afusco1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
BimotaBruce
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I ran BFG MT 33x10.50's for a year and a half before switching to GY MTR 35x12.50's.

As everyone's mentioned so far, the 10.50's were really nice on the street, and the only place they only worked OK was in sand.

Sometimes it would have been nice to have the wider track that the 12.50's give you, but not often.

If you do a lot more street driving than off road, I think you may be happier with the 10.50's (unless you do a lot of sand).
MetalCloak Overlines, 4" Currie springs & CA's, 1" BL, Rancho 9000's, 35" MTR's, D44's w/ARB's & 4.27's, RCV & Superior Axles, 241 TC, UCF TummyTuck, GenRight mini-boatside sliders DirtWorx bumpers, OR Fab sportcage, Viair OBA, Savvy GTS
BimotaBruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #6
26679cj5
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm currently running the 33x10.50 bfg at and it rides and handles pretty well.
26679cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #7
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by afusco1222 View Post

Loss of power from a taller tire and an increase in unsprung weight from bigger tires have nothing in common. You will not notice a loss in power from a narrower tire.
Your reading comprehension is somewhere between bad and piss poor. He is not going taller he is debating width only. He will notice more power on a narrower tire, because it will be inherently lighter than its wider counterpart.

To say loss of power from a taller tire and increase in unsprung weight have nothing in common is wrong. They do have SOMETHING in common. Like for example the taller tire (all other things equal) will be heavier. So the two actually go together like peanut butter and Fido. The real killer pertaining to weight and tires is the rotating mass aspect of the whole deal, much more so than unsprung weight. It's that whole "object at rest wants to stay at rest...and the heavier that object is the more it wants to keep doing what it's already doing."
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
xSHAWNx
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm really looking for a wide, aggressive stance which I think 12.50 will give me.
Unread 06-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

31 or 33-9.5 to 10.5 for DD/Trail Mule. Any wider that would be too much for the 1/4 ton suspension.

I've used the skinny tire to great effect in the twenty plus years of owning two CJ Class Jeeps.
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #10
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSHAWNx View Post
I'm really looking for a wide, aggressive stance which I think 12.50 will give me.
If all you are looking for is stance I'd go with wheel spacers instead. As much as I hate spacers it would be WAYYY cheaper than tires and do the same thing. You can get nice hubcentric spacers for $120 per set of 4.

The narrower tires will be better suited for road driving and do just fine in comparison to the wider tire in anything but sand.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvanus View Post
31 or 33-9.5 to 10.5 for DD/Trail Mule. Any wider that would be too much for the 1/4 ton suspension. ...
Huh? There's a whole bunch of rigs out there running wider tires and they are holding up quite well.
Unread 06-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
31 or 33-9.5 to 10.5 for DD/Trail Mule. Any wider that would be too much for the 1/4 ton suspension.

I've used the skinny tire to great effect in the twenty plus years of owning two CJ Class Jeeps.
What does the width of tires have to do with suspension? Well other than clearance...
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #13
silvanus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
What does the width of tires have to do with suspension? Well other than clearance...
Weight, 33-12.5 and up are very heavy! Too much tire!
silvanus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #14
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I still don't understand. The weight of the tub is compressing the springs not the weight of the tires. Unless its upside down then you've got bigger problems.
Unread 06-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Maybe he meant the steering. Ball joints, TRE's, tie rod...
Quote:
Weight, 33-12.5 and up are very heavy! Too much tire!
Orly?
33x12.5 R15 Duratracs are 49lbs.
33x10.5 R15 BFG KM2's are 49lbs.
33x12.5 R15 BFG KM2's are 58lbs.
33x10.5 R15 BFG AT's are 47lbs.
33x12.5 R15 BFG AT's are 53lbs.

IMO, I wouldn't DD a 33" tire that weighs more than 50lbs. Unless your needs warrent an aggressive MT tire.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.