• 1 Post By Ross

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-15-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Dark_wing
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
What Ply?

Hello everyone,

I'll come right out and admit I know very little about tires hence why I'm here, tried educating myself online and just end up (pardon the pun) spinning tires.

I'm looking for some tough tires I can take on the logging roads of northern Maine, the roads up there are crushed shale, basically razor blades for tires so I was advised that 8 ply tires are good, 10 is better. I see the D and E ratings mean 8 and 10 ply but have trouble finding it on the tire itself, is it always on there someplace and I'm looking in the wrong place?

Attached is a photo of a brand new tire I was given, the rim won't fit my XJ but I plan on using the tire if it suits my needs, are these Chaparrals thicker ply? My research online shows them as a 10 ply but I'm not sure if these match what I found.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Attached Thumbnails
20170710_182331.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 07:17 AM
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

I believe the sidewall and tread plies should be listed on the sidewall..Being an LT, that tire probably has 2 or 3 sidewall plies.

The load range C, D, & E are 6 ply "rated", 8 ply "rated", and 10 ply "rated", respectively. The "rated" doesn't mean that's how many plies they have, but rather how many bias plies it would have the same load rating as.

Here's a link for sidewall info: http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ingSidewall.do
Ross and Dark_wing like this.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
post #3 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 07:12 PM
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For a XJ a C load rating is sufficient and strong. As the previous post pointed out this is equivalent to an old bias tire rating of 6 ply. They are going to a numeric load rating as well. This is a better indicator of a tires load carrying capacity without a ply rating. A "C" ply tire is a 115 load rating....verify that for yourself. Also be aware that the higher the load number, the higher the price and this can be significant.
Dark_wing likes this.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-16-2017, 07:19 PM
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

For rocky conditions that you are talking about I would definitely go with an MT tire. I run Cooper STT and like them for the rocky roads of AZ, CO, and Utah. I also like Toyo Open Country MT. Look almost identical to my Coopers, but much more massive. I have heard good things about their sidewall strength.
Dark_wing likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-23-2017, 12:27 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you want an off road tire that has a strong sidewall get a tire that is designed as an off road tire with strong tire, such as but not limited to the Good MTR.

If you want a tire that can carry allot of weight get a tire (D or E rated) designed to carry allot of weight.

Your Jeep is a lighter weight vehicle so a C rated tire is what you want. You want an off road tire with a strong side wall so get a C rated tire with a strong side wall.

I have a ripped few more E rated tires on my truck. I have never ripped a C rated off road tire designed with a strong side wall on my Jeep and my Jeep has been in places that were far more abusive on the side wall than my truck could even fit.
TheBoogieman likes this.

01 TJ,33X12.5Flaken WP ATs,Winch, ARBs F&R, belly up, some armor,4.0,5spd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.