What is a good brand of tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > What is a good brand of tires

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
smoore_76

What is a good brand of tires

I want a tire that dont really effect gas millage but, still a good off road tire don't have to much money what do you guys like?

smoore_76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Toyo, Goodyear, bfg.

I have good years and they are great. I have the MTR/k's by the way
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's less about brand and more about individual tire models. Goodyear, for example, makes some nice tires and some really terrible tires. They all have their hits and misses.

What's good for mpg, good off road, and doesn't cost a lot is what everyone is asking. If a tire could do all that, no one would need any other tire. You won't be having your cake and eating it too, but if you give me more useful info, I'll try to recommend something you'll be completely satisfied with.

I could write a small book about tires, so if you would be so kind as to describe the type of driving (and please fill-out your vehicle information in your profile) to the greatest degree of detail you can especially the nature and amount of off-roading you plan to do, then I will hook you up. If you poke around my post history, you'll see that I don't half-*** my responses especially regarding tires, so the more you can tell me, the more I can tell you.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
smoore_76

Thanks
smoore_76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 11:00 PM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think Kumho SAT for least expensive good option.

Any of the Hercules ATs for a slightly more expensive option, but still value priced and a great option.

Cooper AT3 for a medium priced option and a great tire.

See this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
Unread 08-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
AmmitOsiris
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3
I think Kumho SAT for least expensive good option.

Any of the Hercules ATs for a slightly more expensive option, but still value priced and a great option.

Cooper AT3 for a medium priced option and a great tire.

See this thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/
I got all four of my MTR k's for 975 and they are 33's
AmmitOsiris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmmitOsiris View Post
I got all four of my MTR k's for 975 and they are 33's
The MTR are more expensive, more agressive, and heavier than the tires I recommemded.

MTR are great tires for someone with the money, who needs more aggressive and super tough tires, and doesn't mind less gas mileage than an AT gives.

The ATs I recommended fit what the OP is looking for. Lower cost, good performance, good gas mileage.
Unread 08-16-2013, 10:27 PM   #8
Spud100
1999 TJ Wrangler 

What size tire? Some don't make smaller tires and some don't make larger ones. Need more info to make recommendation.
Spud100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

try here for nice tires for cheap: www.treadwright.com

i had one set last nearly 5 years and well over 40K miles. they had great traction on the ice and snow i get here every winter. bought another set to put on my little cj. will be buying another set for my recently acquired fsj. i'm a repeat customer and a believer on their quality.
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Broken glass and walnuts?
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Mrgoingdown

^ ^ i was wondering the same thing, Is the broken glass and walnut worth the extra $$. I don't offroad much, specially right now since I have two boys, 2 year old and 8 month old, not much time to do much really lol.
Mrgoingdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #12
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

you don't have to get the traction enhancers. they make them without that. just pick out the tread pattern you like, then decide if you want the "kedge grip" traction material in the tire or not.
i have had tires from them both with and without their "kedge grip". they both performed very, very well. where i live, there is about 5-6 months of snow, ice, and 'black ice' possibilities and neither chains nor studs are allowed. the 'kedge grip' did help for sure. i always get AT type tread pattern as mine are daily drivers with light-moderate trail use. just my personal experience.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.