What do I do? New OME Shocks aren't fitting right! Help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 05-27-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Acoustaman

What do I do? New OME Shocks aren't fitting right! Help

Just bought new Old Man Emu (OME) shocks (N67L) and the rear ones aren't fitting correctly. The lower body of the shock is against the plate that holds my springs and preventing me from attaching the shock to it's point on the axel.

Has anyone ran into this before? What should I do? As much detail will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Visual Aid:
Here is a pic from the side angle. You can see that the hole in the shock won't line up because that plate holding the springs is stopping me from getting the right angle.

Last edited by Acoustaman; 05-27-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: image tag didn't work...trying again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 PM
otisdog
2008 WK 

Do you have your pinion rotated up for an SYE/CV?
You need these.
http://store.jksmfg.com/merchant2/me...ory_Code=Shock
Jim

08 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #3 of 11 Old 05-27-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Acoustaman

Your kidding me! The Doetsch Tech shocks I just took off didn't need those extra $60 add on extenders. Not upset with you Otisdog, your the messenger and I appreciate the advice. I just wish I had known this before buying these shocks. Thought I did enough research to prevent such a goof.

Is there any other options? Beside sending the shocks back or paying an extra 60 bucks for a part that would only make that area weaker and more prone to snapping off on a rock.

post #4 of 11 Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
otisdog
2008 WK 

Seems like they should work especially if you took shocks off of there. I know this is a problem with rotated axles.
Maybe someone with OME shocks can comment.
There are other shock relocators out there that might be cheaper.
Jim

post #5 of 11 Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Acoustaman

I don't mind paying more for something as long as it is good quality. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for.... most of the time. However I did wish I had known this before now so I could have ordered them also.

Your opinion... send them back and get the RS5000 since their bottom side is just a bar instead of a full tube like the OMEs or spend the extra $60 and stay with the OMEs?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 PM
otisdog
2008 WK 

The Rancho 5000's are supposed to be very stiff so I would stay away from them. I'm really surprized that other OME users haven't chimed in.
I run MX6 adjustables that mount can-up. Solves the problem. I believe the RE Monotubes can be run can-up also.
Jim

post #7 of 11 Old 05-27-2008, 09:39 PM
bman9089

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisdog View Post
Do you have your pinion rotated up for an SYE/CV?
To the OP, can you answer this?

I have no clearance issues with my OME shocks, but do not have a lot of lift on short arms or have an SYE/CV setup.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
post #8 of 11 Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Crashnburn80

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have OME shocks and had the same problem after installing my cv driveshaft. OME is a wide body shock when compared to others, if your axle is rotated for pinion angle correction the shock may contact the perch. You basically have 3 options:

1) Use an angle grinder and 'trim' the spring perch for clearance. This wont work in all situations, but if your axle isnt rotated too far back it may provide enough room.

2) Get a set of shock relocators, the JKS ones are absurdly expensive, I have teraflex relocators, they can be had for under $30, in this case about $25:
http://www.windrockoffroad.com/Catal...idproduct=3734
Do note that relocators are not the best solution, as it does place more leverage on the stock mounts. That being said, I've had mine for a year without any problems.

3) Cut the old mounts off the axle, and get new mounts to weld on in a repositioned location thats no longer rotated under the axle. (Best and most expensive option). I eventually plan on doing this, but one thing at a time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
| 1.25" BL |
| Riddler diff covers |
| 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 |

and much more...

post #9 of 11 Old 05-28-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Acoustaman

Just as an FYI... I have a 4.5" RE lift which included the SYE/CV so my question now revolves around fit. I found the TeraFlex and Currie extensions and both are priced less but the JKS ones are the only ones that say are built for lifts greater than 3.5". So I don't know if the TeraFlex or Currie will work for me or not.

Any input on this matter?

Again, thank you all for your help!
post #10 of 11 Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Crashnburn80

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have about 3" of lift, plus my Tcase is raised 1.5" with my TT. The total 'lift' the driveshaft sees is then 4.5" of lift. So I think my pinion angle rotation with my setup would be pretty close to yours if your 4.5" lift really netted 4.5" and your running the stock Tcase skid. The teraflex relocators worked for the OMEs in my situation.

|
| 1.25" BL |
| Riddler diff covers |
| 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 |

and much more...

post #11 of 11 Old 05-28-2008, 07:46 PM
bman9089

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'd try the teraflex and see how well that works. if it doesn't work well, return them.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.