WHAT IS THE BEST LIFT? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > WHAT IS THE BEST LIFT?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 10-21-2001, 12:27 PM   #1
jerrys yj

WHAT IS THE BEST LIFT?

OKAY GUYS IM LOOKING TO PUT A 2.5" SUSPENSION LIFT OR SOMETHING AROUND THAT ON TO MY 91 YJ. I HAVE FOUND MANY COMPANIES AND THEY ALL SAY THE ARE GOOD. SO FAR I HAVE COME ACROSS TRAILMASTER, SKYJACKER, RANCHO, SUPERLIFT, AND TUFF COUNTRY. WHICH IS THE BEST LIFT. WHICH HAS THE SMOOTHIST RIDE AND WHICH WILL NOT SAG. WHICH HAS THE BEST QUALITY KEEPING IN MIND THE PRICE? AND WHERE CAN I GET THEM FOR THE CHEAPEST AT? PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME AND HELP A FELLOW JEEPER OUT. PLEASE SEND YOUR OPINIONS TO ME AT RICESWIMMER@AOL.COMTHANKS FOR YOUR TIME

-KC's on the windshild
personal quote:"it didnt look that deep dad, i swear!"(first time stuck in mud)
jerrys yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2001, 05:57 PM   #2
bob91yj

I'm not sure you will be happy with a 2.5" lift. That may be all you think you need now, but eventually you will wish that you had gone 4".
The biggest drawback to the 4" lift is you almost have to do a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE), and CV driveshaft at the same time.

If you only want to spend money on a lift once, I recommend the Rubicon Express 4.5" Extreme Duty. This lift has a decent highway ride and good flex on the trail. The kit seems expensive, but it is very complete, with no extras to buy. A lot of the cheap kits are not complete.

I've heard good things about the Superlift 3.5" kit too, but no personal experience with it.
Unread 10-21-2001, 06:47 PM   #3
jerrys yj

okay but how much will it cost? im looknig to do the work on my own and cost is a factor. i would like to keep the cost for the lift under 600 so i have money for tires. also which size tires look and work the best for each size lift? any more recomendations?
-KC's on the windshild
Unread 10-21-2001, 06:48 PM   #4
jerrys yj

also i do most driving on road so i need a lift that will work good both ways.
-KC's on the windshild
Unread 10-21-2001, 07:00 PM   #5
jerrys yj

how hard is it to put in a sye and how much are the cv's
-KC's on the windshild
Unread 10-21-2001, 10:49 PM   #6
bob91yj

If $600 is all you have budgeted for your lift, you may not have a choice but to stay with a 2.5" lift. I haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the budget lifts. You can probably get a decent set of 2.5" springs for $4-500, and maybe a set of shocks to go with them on your budget, but not much more.
SYE's go from $200 for the RE cut your stock shaft to $360 or so for the Advance Adapters with the heavy duty shaft. There are others but that's the general price range, figure another $2-250 for the CV driveshaft.

Just remember, you're gonna get what you pay for as a general rule. I'm the cheapest guy you're ever gonna meet, but sometimes you just have to spend some money or you'll just end up spending it again to replace what you bought the first time.
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Jeeping is not a cheap sport.
Unread 10-22-2001, 12:57 PM   #7
jerrys yj

what would be the best company for that size lift (2.5)?
-KC's on the windshild
Unread 10-24-2001, 05:44 PM   #8
skyj35

Don't go with 2 1/2", you won't be happy. The superlift kit is very cheap and comes complete with everything eexcept the drop pitman arm, which is only about $45. I had one of these lifts and recently upgraded to a 6" skyjacker, but the superlift rode well on the road and cleared up to 33's, but 31's fit better. You could get this kit for around $600, thats about all that I spent. The kit comes with a transfer case shim kit, so you don't need a sye, which is about $600 after you buy the driveshaft, which I had to do for my new lift. You will be happy with the overall performance and value of the superlift.
35" Boggers
4.56's w/ lockers
skyj35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2001, 06:39 PM   #9
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I agree. In your case I think you'd be happiest with the 3.5" Superlift. Don't forget the drop pitman arm, you'll need it.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2001, 04:03 AM   #10
bonehead99
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed a Rough Country 3" lift this past wekend. So far it works great, I could clear 33's. The kit comes with pitman arm, tc lowering, 4 shocks. I got a steering stabalizer for $25. It sells for $389 at Rough Country Here's another site that sells lifts
Rusty's Off-Road. They have a complete 3.5" lift for $420.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.