What is the best 35" tires for trail and rock? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > What is the best 35" tires for trail and rock?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-14-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
Doepie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What is the best 35" tires for trail and rock?

Hi guys/gals, I want to know which tires would you think will be the best for trail and rock. Tell me also why do you recommend those tires. I want to buy me a pair but there are too many brands, so plz help me.

Doepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of trails? Deep muddy ruts, sand, gravel, ...?
What kind of rocks? Small, medium, large, huge, ...? Sharp edges, water worn, ...
Hills/flat land?

Just for the record there is no such thing as a "best" tire for any application. Everything is a compromise. One of the biggest compromises comes with the amount of money you are wanting/willing to pay for a tire. A soft tread compound will grip the rocks better than a harder tread but won't last as long esp. if driven regularly on pavement.

Your profile says you are running BFG KM tires now. If you aren't on sharp rocks they are pretty good tires for mud and rock. If you are in sharp rocks the sidewall of these tires leave a bit to be desired.

BFG KM2 tires have a stronger sidewall than the older KM tires but don't do as well in mud.

Goodyear MT/R tires do well on rocks and have a strong sidewall to resist sharp rocks. They don't do as well in mud as a mud tire.

BFG Krawler are a tough, good rock tire but you are getting into higher prices with them.

There are many tires to choose from and hundred of opinions about each tire

Welcome to the forum.
Unread 05-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Doepie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice, Yes I am running BF on my rig but Im looking for tires for a other rig, its a custom Jeep thats used for competition only. Price is not a issue but I want tires that can do the job for me. Ooo and the terrain is all that you mention, we live in South Africa, weather changes quickly and our competitions are of all sorts of terrain.
Doepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
heinie_21

i'd go with the BFG Krawler if price isn't an issue.. if price weren't an issue for ME that's what i would run.. haha!
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Krawler or the new MT/R
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #6
04KJlimited
2004 KJ Liberty 

go krawler, i dont like crapyears
04KJlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Another vote for the Krawler. They have been a great tire and is great in all terrains. Road manners are decent for what they are as well. Good luck
Unread 05-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

What type of competition? The Parnelli Jones Dirt Grip is made for racing and competition on all terrains, especially desert, trail, and rock, but also good in mud and even snow and ice. It's made for racing and also does well at high speeds. It's also known for being good on highway. It's also known for being exceptionally well balanced from the factory.

The only reason I don't use that tire myself is that it's not available in my favorite size (33 X 10.5 R15), but I'm sure it's available in 35" size.

The PJ has the advantage of being made for low and high speed use on all terrains. I don't think the Krawler is made for high speed purposes, though it's obviously great for rockcrawling. The PJ would also be good for rockcrawling since that's among its design goals, but probably the Krawler is better for rockcrawling specifically. However, the PJ is (IMO) the best all around offroad racing tire that's also capable of rockcrawling.

I'll note that the OP didn't mention what type of competition. If he means rockcrawling specifically, then I assume the Krawler would be best, though the PJ would also be good. If he means prerunner racing, the PJ is the best at that, IMO. For all purpose DD use on all terrains, I think the PJ would also be best at that.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Note: I have no comment to make about MTR because I don't know anything about the new MTR. I only know I hated the old MTR on road, but the new version might be good. I don't know much about new MTR.
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.