Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Which way to Lift?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  steelerman 
#1 · (Edited)
I have done my research through the boards and using all of the inputs that I could find, so here is the dilemma. I plan on keeping my Jeep for many years to come and would like to put on a suspension lift that I will be happy with for quite some time. I want to run 33's and as I see it I have 2 options for a solid lift.

(All these prices are estimates from shopping around, so I know some things are cheaper by brand)

Option 1:
3" Lift Kit (Name a brand) $400
DT3000 Shocks $125
Disconnects $100
MML $100
Body Lift $100
Front Adjustable Track Arm $100.00

Total: $925 plus tires and I may have driveline vibes....

Option 2:
4" Lift (Some have disconnects) Still looking maybe $750
DT3000 Shocks $125
SYE/Tom Woods Driveshaft $500

Total: $1375 plus tires but no problems

So if I'm already spending a $1000 dollars on option 1 wouldn't it make sense to just go with option 2? Anyone done either of these and can give me some insight and maybe how you would do it if you were starting from stock again? Thanks...

Milkman
2001 TJ Sport
Bone Stock for now....

See less See more
#4 ·
3" Lift

Just out of curiosity what brand 3" lift are you running? Also is it pretty easy to realign the front end without the adjustable track bar (pretty easy to tell exactly how much it's gotta move?). Thanks...

#5 ·
I'm running the 3T kit from TEra-Flex w/ Tera quick disonnects and DT3000 shocks and I have 33's. My tires rub a little due to backspacing issues but it's not serious. my whole setup w/tires cost me $632 (lift,QD,shocks)+$640 (tires)=$1272.00.

my 3" lift with the Transfer case lowering kit eliminated the driveline vibration (your MML should do the same so u might not have to install a TCLK) but i'm still going to purchase an SYE kit w/CV driveshaft so I can install a belly up skid plate for better clearence. With 3" you don't need the SYE kit but it's a good upgrade anyways stronger driveshaft. I plan on installing a 1"BL soon. As for alignment issues, after installing the lift i stongly advise you to get your alignment done even with the adjustable track bar. helps avoid death wobble and some other surprises. Last bit of advice if you go with the 3" kit don't install the dropped pitman arm you don't need too.

Either was you go really is a good idea the way you have it set up. Now it's just a case of money and how you really want to set up your jeep. To me the money for the 4" lift wasn't worth it for 33" tires when a 3" lift+ 1"BL will do just fine.

#6 ·
dont go cheap on the lift we just did a tj the cheap way so we could buy nicer rims and tires but the car doesnt feel good anymore because of the suspension. make sure if your doing a tj xl or wj then get the flexible control arms ajustable front trac bar brake line extensions and sway bar disconnects. rubicon express has these parts sold seperately and the quality is excelent for the money. for a yj and cj do revolver shackles and a spring over axle. and if you really want something great do the slip yoke eliminator with the custom fit driveshaft. they have that as a package for 569.00 from somewhere off the internet just search from yahoo.

#7 ·
I've been looking into the same thing... currently I am focused on the 3.5" RE Superflex kit. The quotes I've gotten on it have ranged from $550-$770 (not including shipping). Oh, and the kit includes:
T-CASE LOWERING KIT YJ/TJ 1"
COIL SPRINGS TJ 3" FRONT
COIL SPRINGS TJ 3" REAR
BUMP STOP 2" FRT XJ/ZJ/TJ
BRAKE LINE SS TJ+3" FRONT PR
CONTROL ARM SF2 LOWER FIXED
SWAY BAR DISC SET W/ 6" CENT
SWAY BAR DISCONNECT ADAPTER BRACKET
S/B END LINKS REAR TJ
Track Bar Bracket TJ Rear
BUMP STOP 1.5" REAR TJ

HTH

#8 ·
here is what I have and I am very happy:

Tera 3st, it has the adjustable lca. A mml may help you wilth vibes but you may need a tcase trop or SYE. 1' bl to help clear the tires. Currently I have a belly-up and SYE and everything works great, before the belly up I did the tcase drop.

All this works well. The tera 3" rides better than stock and some other lifts, I also have OME shocks.

If you go with a 4" lift you may have steering issues. I recently did a spacer lift of about 1" upfront and my steering is a little touchier, but nothing too bad.

Ross

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.