Want skinny tires. 33" tall and 17" rim - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Want skinny tires. 33" tall and 17" rim

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
SDHNTR

Want skinny tires. 33" tall and 17" rim

Want some aggressive skinny tires that are 33" and will mount on my 17" rims. Running 285 70 17 now but want narrower. What size is similar am I looking for? Thanks.

SDHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

BFG makes the km's in a 255/80/R17. Probably about the best you might find.
Unread 07-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
In my search for 33x10.5ish sizes, the 255 is as good as it gets. I've looked through 15, 16, & 17" wheel sizes from most of the companies mentioned on the forum.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
floridajpr
2012 JK Wrangler 

Interco makes a Super Swamper Narrow S.S. that is only 8" wide but the tire sizes are not for a 17" wheel.

Tire Sizes:
34 x 9.50 x 15LT
9/34 x 16
34 x 9.50 x 16.5LT
floridajpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:12 AM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BFG MT KM 255/75R17C (32x10R17) load C. This is a true 32 tall. So 1/2" taller than most brands of 32.

The 75 aspect ratio makes it a good size for on and off road, if put on a 7, 7.5, or 8" wide wheel. A 7.5" wide wheel would be most ideal, but a 7 or 8" wide wheel will work good too.

The 75 aspect ratio tire with a wheel approx 2.5" (2 to 3") narrower than tire's section width is a combination that will give a flat contact patch at reasonable street psi. This has the advantage of increased traction at street pressures. So you won't have to air down for Winter roads or mild to moderate off roading. This is very convenient! This applies to load C tires on a light SUV. Load D or E are to stiff.
I have these perks with my 30x9.5R15 load C on 15x7 wheels. I have 75 aspect ratio and my wheel is 2.5" narrower than my tire section width. I have flat foot print and great traction at street pressure of 28 psi front, 25 psi rear. Just last week I drove through 4" deep mud in 2wd and my Cooper AT3 didn't spin (open diff). I don't need to air down for trails. I might need to air down for uphill on sand or serious rocks, but I won't need to air down much. 20 psi is all I'd air down too fo serious sand or rocks. This is my second set of tires this size. My first set was BFG AT.
255/75R17C is an awesome tire size for DD and Winter roads. BFG makes it in their KM mud tire. I think this is the tire that comes stock on LJ Rubicons.

(Yes, I meant KM, not KM2.)

If the KM is intended for use on wet or Winter roads, get the center treads siped.

I don't know if other tires are made in 255/75R17 load C. If not, they should be.

Edited in Later: At Tire Rack I found about a half dozen AT and half dozen MT in 255/75R17 load C and also passenger P tires. Maybe some load E too. Can't remember. Many good choices. I recommend load C for a Jeep.

There are probably more brands-models of tires in that size that aren't shown at Tire Rack. Tire Rack is not all inclusive. There are many brands they don't carry, including Cooper.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridajpr View Post
Interco makes a Super Swamper Narrow S.S. that is only 8" wide but the tire sizes are not for a 17" wheel.

Tire Sizes:
34 x 9.50 x 15LT
9/34 x 16
34 x 9.50 x 16.5LT
Those are obsolete bias ply tires, IMO. They'd be lousy on road, IMO.

I assume he wants a modern radial tire. Though maybe I shouldn't assume.
Unread 07-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
In my search for 33x10.5ish sizes, the 255 is as good as it gets. I've looked through 15, 16, & 17" wheel sizes from most of the companies mentioned on the forum.
245 is 9.5" wide

255 is 10" wide (good stuff)

265 is 10.5" wide (good stuff)

Did you look at 245, 255, and 265 tires?
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
It's the KM2 that they make in that size. What is load rating? C is best for a Jeep, IMO. Some guys prefer D. But E is way to blanging stiff.

Are any other tires made in that size in load C or D?

---

235/85R16 (33 x 9.25 R16) is an interesting size, but is only made in load E (to stiff for Jeep), and I prefer 75 aspect ratio for stable sidewalls (better cornering and flat contact patch at a reasonable street pressure).

---

With combination of load C, 75 aspect ratio, and wheel approx 2.5" narrower than tire section width, I get flat contact patch at nomal street psi. So good traction at street psi and no need to air down for most off road adventures. Airing down only needed for hardcore uphill sand dunes or hardcore rocks. No need to air down for moderate wheeling or Winter roads.

These are reasons why Jeeps and other SUVs usually have stock setup with P or C tires with 75 aspect ratio and wheel 2.5" narrower than tire section width. The engineers usually use this formula for a good DD.

I like to use that setup for a good DD, but do so with a taller than stock tire that is stock width or up to 1.5" wider than stock. Typically I prefer 1/2" to 1" wider tire than stock. It's easily possible to do that with tires taller than stock and keep 75 aspect ratio. Even possible with tires much taller than stock by adjusting wheel diameter so that aspect ratio stays near 75. Also adjust wheel width so it stays 2 to 3" (ideally 2.5") narrower than section width.

I came to these conclusions after running 75 and 85 aspect ratio narrow tires in the past, as well as having tried medium and wide tires too. Having tried an assortment of tire of tire sizes I realized it's not as simple as narrow vs wide. There is more going on: Vehicle weight, tire load rating, tire section width, wheel width, and aspect ratio all combine to affect sidewall stability and cornering, contact patch at street pressure, traction at street pressure, how much air pressure you run on street, ride quality, and gas mileage. Setup properly there is no need to air down for Winter roads or mild to intermediate off roading because tire already has good contact patch and traction at street pressure, and decent ride quality if load C.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #9
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post

It's the KM2 that they make in that size. What is load rating? C is best for a Jeep, IMO. Some guys prefer D. But E is way to blanging stiff.
That's what I meant. Auto correct changed it on me. I'm sure he would have figured it out when he went tire shopping though.
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post

245 is 9.5" wide

255 is 10" wide (good stuff)

265 is 10.5" wide (good stuff)

Did you look at 245, 255, and 265 tires?
I know the conversions. I've not seen a 33" DD tire less than 255 in a C or D. E is much more popular in the pickup sized tires.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 01:50 AM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
I know the conversions. I've not seen a 33" DD tire less than 255 in a C or D. E is much more popular in the pickup sized tires.
Agreed, but no problem because 9.5 to 10 is an ideal width for light SUVs, and 10 to 10.5 is good too. For a Jeep with armor and winch (extra weight) 10.5 is ideal. IMO.

While I prefer narrow to medium width (9.5 to 10.5) tires, a guy an go to narrow for vehicle weight.

IMO getting load C for 1/4 ton SUV is a lot better than D. E is not appropriate.

So I don't think there's a problem.

I'm not really a "narrower is best" guy, even though the "wider is best" guys think I am. I think width appropriate to vehicle weight and intended use(s) is best.
Unread 07-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
SDHNTR

Ok, so say I go with the 255 80 r17. They are e rated, but I can deal with that by softening my shocks- Rancho 9000, right? Now I have an 8.5" wide rim. Any real downside to that wide a rim on that width tire? I don't air down much.
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHNTR View Post
Ok, so say I go with the 255 80 r17. They are e rated, but I can deal with that by softening my shocks- Rancho 9000, right? Now I have an 8.5" wide rim. Any real downside to that wide a rim on that width tire? I don't air down much.
I normally recommend 75 aspect ratio, but 80 apsect ratio is good too.

Normally I'd say an 8" wide wheel is widest you'd want to use with a 10" (255 mm) section with tire, but that advice is really for 75 aspect ratio tires.

For an 80 aspect ratio tire, I think an 8.5" wide wheel is fine with a 10" section width tire. In fact, the slightly wider wheel might be better with the 80 aspect ratio.

My only concern is the E load rating. That will be miserably harsh riding on bumps, and the stiffer tire will have less traction because the tread won't conform to the terrain as well as it should. It'd be a lot better if you got a load C tire, or at least a D.

Another consideration is which tire. For any given load rating, BFG AT and Cooper AT3 ride the best of any good off road tires that I know of. Hankook ATM rides almost as good. If you get one of these softer riding tires, it helps ride comfort on and off road, better handling on bumpy highway, and better traction off road, even if it is a load E.

Though those tires (and all tires) would be best in load C for your Jeep.
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #14
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

P.S. - if you care, load C will get a lot better gas mileage than heavier load ratings.
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
SDHNTR

Ok, so then who makes a good aggressive (more than at) tire in 255 80 17 that is c or d rated? All I could find is the BFG KM2 in E rating.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.