Want the look, need the miles - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Want the look, need the miles

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 10-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
dmcgrew67

Want the look, need the miles

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, seeking your expertise. I have a 2011 four door wrangler and I'm looking to upgrade tires and wheels. I want a good look, but I travel quite a bit , so I need a higher mile tire.. I'm looking to go wide, but in a highway tire.

Anyone have ideas? I'm afraid if I contact a dealer for tires or wheels, they'll just push to sell me what they've got.

dmcgrew67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Not everything in this old post of mine is relevant to you as it was written to a WK guy looking for a tire for a cross-country trip, but the evaluations of the tires remains true, so it saves me a lot of time to quote it. This is all assuming you won't be going off road. If you do want to go off road, the list changes dramatically, but you did say "but in a highway tire," so here's the list. One tire I'll add for your consideration because you have a JK and mentioned cosmetics as being important to you is the BFG Rugged Terrain T/A. It's a great tire and looks quite cool, but the tires below are generally superior especially in snow where the BFG is rather ho-hum.

Given your interest in tread life, I will add that the Continental CC LX20s have a 70k mile warranty. The Pirellis have a 50k mile warranty in H and V speed ratings and 60k if T rated. The Bridgestones have a 65k mile warranty. The Firestones have a 60k mile warranty, and the BFG's I just mentioned and pictured have a 50k mile warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
  • Firestone Destination LE: This is a hall-of-famer. It was very popular and for good reason. The Destination LE2 is out, and I feel it is even better. It is not a touring tire, but it is quite comfortable.
  • Bridgestone Dueler H/T 684 II AND Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia: The difference? The H/L is a touring tire vs the H/T being simply a highway tire, and the H/L is a clear winner between the two ESPECIALLY for you.
  • Hankook Dynapro H/T: A rather new tire I have no experience with and can find very little info about. Trying to judge it by look alone and the fact that it is not classified as a touring tire leads me to believe that we can ignore this one without missing-out in your case.
  • Michelin Cross Terrain: A decent tire, but not good enough to make the cut considering your other options in my opinion.
  • Michelin Latitude Tour: Ho-hum. Not even as nice as the Cross Terrains. They don't handle cold well and don't really excel in any one area.
  • Toyo A-20 Open Country: I have no experience with and can find very little info about. It is classified as highway instead of touring and can be found as an OEM tire on some vehicles. Being OEM isn't always bad, but it doesn't inspire optimism because it is the exception when a manufacturer picks a good tire as OEM, and then it's usually not a tire categorized as an OEM offering such as Duratracs (Chevy chose to put them on many fully-loaded ZR-2s). Moving on.
  • Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051: Good tire, but I'm not sure it's good enough to make the cut given how good the Destination LE2s are and because a touring tire is really what you're looking for given the cross-country driving. The G052 model makes sacrifices for looks, and the G053 is for heavy loads.
  • Cooper Discoverer H/T: Where the Destination LE2 reminds me of a milder version of my current Kumho RoadVenture SATs, these remind me of a milder version of Charley3's current Cooper Discoverer AT3s. I have no experience with them and can only find a little info out there, but I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt; I'm not sure Cooper is capable of making a BAD tire.
  • Continental Contitrac TR: Yucky! Consider Continental CrossContact LX20 instead. Great touring tires equal or greater than the Dueler H/L 422.
  • Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor: This is an AT tire. Great AT tire, but totally not what you're looking for.
  • Nexan Roadian H/T SUV: I've already got a shortened list for you in my mind, and this isn't on it. Let's get to it!

Here's my bottom line. These are the ultimate contenders you should be considering in my opinion, so let's split a few hairs:
  • Firestone Destination LE2: A highway tire, but a fantastic one. In my opinion, unless some new tires really prove themselves, it is the only choice in the highway category for SUVs.
  • Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia: Ironically, as great as this tire is, its handling may be a little worse than the TripleTreds when pushed to its limits such as higher speed cornering. This tire is quite popular and is a fantastic choice, but I feel like the REAL choice is between the two following tires because they're all the Dueler H/L is and more. Food for thought: compare the tread pattern of this tire to the FS Dest LE (not LE2). VERY similar. Both have been all-star tires, but FS has decided to leave the tread pattern behind. I'm not trying to imply anything; there's way more to a tire than just its tread pattern especially since I'm talking about tires from two different categories here, but it is food for thought nonetheless.
  • Pirelli Scorpion Verde: The bottom line here is that this is the Dueler H/L but with better handling and better traction in less than ideal conditions (water, snow). I believe that from your perspective, this is also all the TripleTreds are to you as well as better handling and nicer ride.
  • Continental CrossContact LX20: A VERY close call between this on and the Scorpion Verde. Long story short, if temps will be warmer with more rain encountered, the Continental would be my choice. If colder temperatures are in the forecast with snow likely to be encountered, the Pirelli (and maybe even the Dueler H/L even more so) will likely handle the snow better. I'm REALLY splitting hairs at this point; you can't lose with either one.
(Yeah, I know, my two picks weren't even on your list to begin with. If for some reason you don't have access to them, my pick is the Dueler H/L hands-down.)

Rolling resistance is quite low on all of the tires above, so I wouldn't be concerned about fuel economy. Being a different class of tire, I'm not sure how the FS Dest LE2 compares to the tourers, but as a highway tire, it is quite easy on fuel.

Make sure you get a tire with a load rating appropriate to your vehicle. According to wkjeeps.com, your 2wd 4.7 WK has a curb weight of 4368 lbs. Like Charley3 said, tire pressure is super important, and do not trust the tire shop to get it right.

IMPORTANT! DISCLAIMER! I just saw your profile say that you're using GY Fortenza (you mean Fortera?) TripleTreds. I'm only familiar with the GY Assurance TripleTred All-Season. The Fortera model was the truck/SUV version and has been discontinued; it did get similar reviews to the Assurance, though; for this reason I will leave any comments/comparisons I've made to the TripleTreds in place above.

Fortera TripleTred vs Assurance TripleTred

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
dmcgrew67

Wow!!! Thank you!! Great info! Do you know how wide I can go before I have to worry about rubbing or other issues? Wide is my main goal since I can't really go knobby
dmcgrew67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The WJ forum and/or a search should be able to help you out with that one.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.