Wal-Mart BFG Tire? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Wal-Mart BFG Tire?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-16-2005, 12:37 AM   #1
jbrtwork

Wal-Mart BFG Tire?

I'm shopping tires for my '93 Cherokee and assumed I'd go with the BFG All Terain. I checked the Wal-Mart website and found a "BFGoodrich Land Terrain." What is this thing and what's the dif?

jbrtwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2005, 02:55 AM   #2
xxxflhrci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrtwork
I'm shopping tires for my '93 Cherokee and assumed I'd go with the BFG All Terain. I checked the Wal-Mart website and found a "BFGoodrich Land Terrain." What is this thing and what's the dif?
The tread is not as aggressive as the AT.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2005, 11:44 AM   #3
jbrtwork

I noticed the tread difference. Has anyone reported their experience with it? How is it in the snow? $20 less per tire is pretty tempting.
jbrtwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If it is a line made for wal-mart I would bet it is a lower quality tire. My father and fiance have both bought brand name tires from wal-mart in the past and both had more problems with those tires than anybody else I know. Wal-mart charges less and you get less.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2005, 11:33 PM   #5
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

The BFG Land Terrains are a quality LT tire and can be found at just about any tire store. They aren't one of those Walmart only type tires. However, for an even cheaper price, the Liberator is sold at Wally Worlds. They are manufactured by BFG and from people posting here, have had some great reviews. I would look into them since they are so cheap, if not, then the Land Terrians are good too.
Unread 01-17-2005, 03:03 PM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHarnett
The BFG Land Terrains are a quality LT tire and can be found at just about any tire store. They aren't one of those Walmart only type tires. However, for an even cheaper price, the Liberator is sold at Wally Worlds. They are manufactured by BFG and from people posting here, have had some great reviews. I would look into them since they are so cheap, if not, then the Land Terrians are good too.

I heard bad reviews about the liberators, I believe one person said they got stuck in wet grass.

For about the last year or so I have had problems with too many things I have bought from Walmart. Brand name items, off name items and itmes from all departments. Until about the last year I never had problems than started returning over 25% of what I bought, yes I started keeping track.

I try to avoid Walmart all I can, I truley believe their quaility has gone way done, even on brand name items.

Unread 01-17-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
MSHarnett
Broke Bogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
I heard bad reviews about the liberators, I believe one person said they got stuck in wet grass.
I can't speak for myself, but I'm just saying that other here have liked them alot. BTW, I've gotten stuck in wet grass with my super swampers. Thats worse than mud
Unread 01-17-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
gregmondro

i have land terrains on the front in my ZJ. They are a canadian only tire and that is why they are sold only at wal-mart and not listed on the bfg website.

don't know what the main difference is, are the sidewalls thinner or anything? do a search and you'll find some info. Pretty good tires imo, havent had them long though.

Quote:
If it is a line made for wal-mart I would bet it is a lower quality tire. My father and fiance have both bought brand name tires from wal-mart in the past and both had more problems with those tires than anybody else I know. Wal-mart charges less and you get less.
wal-mart has a great warranty. you can't beat that. service also isn't bad. I have NO clue what you are blabbering about.
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2005, 04:28 PM   #9
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmondro

wal-mart has a great warranty. you can't beat that. service also isn't bad. I have NO clue what you are blabbering about.

Cust service, after you take the same thing, in this case the tire of my fiance car, the cust service goes away. Same issue with my fathers tire, they came apart. They starting charging for remounting them.

I am all for saving $$$ but I have had to many problems with Walmart. I am not going to try to save a few $$ just to cause a hassle down the line anymore with Walmart, been there done that.

I have had good luck with discount tire.

Unread 01-20-2005, 06:48 AM   #10
zbrucec

Quote:
I have had good luck with discount tire.
Discount is the only way to go imo.

JBRT do yourself a favor and go with them. Free rotations, free flat fixing, good cust service, and in my experience a no questions asked replacement if needed.

I used to use Sears al the time til the first time I had a flat out of town and discount was the only place open. I was sold and 400 miles away from home.

Just my 2
Unread 01-20-2005, 11:30 PM   #11
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Discount tire fixed a tire on my trail that I didn't buy from the and rotated and balanced all the tires on my car even thoughI only bought two of them there. I have bought a total of 11 tires from them in the last 2 years. All rotations flat repairs and balance is done for free even on the tires I didn't buy from them. I also brought back a ripped tire, replaced for free no questions asked.

Unread 05-03-2005, 03:48 PM   #12
fergyfer

I hate to see Walmart getting a bad rap because someone has had a bad experience with them. I know people who have had bad experiences with several other tires including Firestone, Uniroyal and Goodyear. My bran new 86 Comanche came with Goodyear Wranglers on it and they were the worst tire I ever owned. I had cedar stobs go through the sidewalls of two of them, and ran over a piece of wire that ripped a hole in the sidewall of another. Then picked up a screw in one and had a flat going down the highway (tire ran smooth until it was nearly out of air) and it flew apart.
The liberator A/T at Walmart is a great tire for the money as I've had it on my jeep for 3 years and it still looks almost new. Matter of fact, my hunting buddy asked me last Fall if I had new tires. Just because something is sold by Walmart doesn't mean it is a factory second or something to that affect. Walmart is the largest distributor of products in the USA and volume buying is their ticket. If I manufactured a product I would pray that I could get Walmart to market that product because that means I would sell more than any other way of marketing. The fact that BFG makes a tire just to be sold at Walmart certainly doesn't mean they slap it together and do a crappy job of it. It means that there is an opportunity to sell thousands more tires than if they were only sold by BFG shops. I like the fact that there are walmart stores in just about every decent sized town where I can get warranty on those tires. They will re-balance them any time I ask. I have gotten to know most of the guys at our local walmart auto center since I buy stuff from them all the time and they treat me like I'm family. I would definately buy tires from them again! I buy all my vehicle and lawn mower batteries from them too. Never had a problem with battery replacement and always get what's left on the warranty of the battery when replacing.

My liberators have handled everything I've ever thrown at them, both on and off road. I've never been stuck in the mud with them, and they have great wet pavement traction. I also don't go looking for a mud hole to test them in since I know they aren't mud tires. But, the parking lot where I used to work was black dirt and when it rained, everyone but me got stuck nearly every day it rained. If I would have known about tire pressure, they might not be showing any wear at all, but now that I've got them aired down to 25psi, they ride better than ever.
[URL=http://www.281.com/fergy/jeep/]My Jeep[/URL]
fergyfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2005, 09:03 PM   #13
dabomb5756

Land terrains pack up with mud very quickly and easily. After they pack up, they do not self clean well, and you get stuck very easily. I had em on my truck, and i had to get pulled out by a stock geo tracker with swampers. After that, i lifted 5 inches and put on 33 MTs.
Unread 05-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergyfer
I hate to see Walmart getting a bad rap because someone has had a bad experience with them. I know people who have had bad experiences with several other tires including Firestone, Uniroyal and Goodyear. My bran new 86 Comanche came with Goodyear Wranglers on it and they were the worst tire I ever owned. I had cedar stobs go through the sidewalls of two of them, and ran over a piece of wire that ripped a hole in the sidewall of another. Then picked up a screw in one and had a flat going down the highway (tire ran smooth until it was nearly out of air) and it flew apart.
The liberator A/T at Walmart is a great tire for the money as I've had it on my jeep for 3 years and it still looks almost new. Matter of fact, my hunting buddy asked me last Fall if I had new tires. Just because something is sold by Walmart doesn't mean it is a factory second or something to that affect. Walmart is the largest distributor of products in the USA and volume buying is their ticket. If I manufactured a product I would pray that I could get Walmart to market that product because that means I would sell more than any other way of marketing. The fact that BFG makes a tire just to be sold at Walmart certainly doesn't mean they slap it together and do a crappy job of it. It means that there is an opportunity to sell thousands more tires than if they were only sold by BFG shops. I like the fact that there are walmart stores in just about every decent sized town where I can get warranty on those tires. They will re-balance them any time I ask. I have gotten to know most of the guys at our local walmart auto center since I buy stuff from them all the time and they treat me like I'm family. I would definately buy tires from them again! I buy all my vehicle and lawn mower batteries from them too. Never had a problem with battery replacement and always get what's left on the warranty of the battery when replacing.

My liberators have handled everything I've ever thrown at them, both on and off road. I've never been stuck in the mud with them, and they have great wet pavement traction. I also don't go looking for a mud hole to test them in since I know they aren't mud tires. But, the parking lot where I used to work was black dirt and when it rained, everyone but me got stuck nearly every day it rained. If I would have known about tire pressure, they might not be showing any wear at all, but now that I've got them aired down to 25psi, they ride better than ever.

I strong believe that Wal Mart sells lower quality everything. I had shopped at walmart for a years. A few months back I found myself returning quite a bit of things to wall mart. For a bout 3 months I kept track of it. I returned almost 25% of what I bought. I am not too proud to shop at Wal Mart, that isn't the point. I got tired of returning things.

Unread 05-04-2005, 07:43 AM   #15
fergyfer

Well, that's your experience, and I don't blame you for feeling that way. For us, Walmart is the only place to shop within 65 miles of where we live, and I have returned a couple things, a dvd that wouldn't play, and some underwear that my wife bought me that were the wrong size. In 10 years of shopping for nearly everything we use except for stuff you can't get at walmart (I buy my wrangler jeans at tractor supply) and what I order online from Cabelas, it has been walmart. We practically depend on them and haven't been let down. The watch I have on I've had for 5 years, a Timex Expedition, is just fine. I did, buy a $7 watch there once that looks real classy and I only wear it to dress up, but I didn't expect it to last 2 years and it has. The name brand stuff I buy from there is top quality. If it is cheap and not name brand, it's probably the same stuff you can get at a dollar store and it will last as long. I guarantee that everything walmart sells is not junk, and the name brand stuff is not factory seconds. They just buy in huge volume compared to any other distributor and can sell it for less profit. Plus, they will take back just about anything for any reason. My 2 cents worth, again!
[URL=http://www.281.com/fergy/jeep/]My Jeep[/URL]
fergyfer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.