Votes on tire choices - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Votes on tire choices

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDTeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.com

Unread 04-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #1
scaffdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Votes on tire choices

Gang

Looking to upgrade my 32" BF Goodrich All terrain TAs with a set of 35" tires for 15" rims (or maybe get a combo set with 17" rims) for my 1990 Wrangler.

I've narrowed my choices to the following and was looking to see what ya'll thought. Open to other suggestions outside these choices.

1.) Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ LT Radial
2.) Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC
3.) Pro Comp Xtreme M/T2
4.) INTERCO Super Swamper TSL Tire
5.)INTERCO Super Swamper LTB Tire
6.) Dick Cepek Crusher Radial Tire
7.)Dick CepekŪ Mud Country Tire
8.) Hankook Dynapro MT Tire
9.) Maxxis Trepador Radial Tire

scaffdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

After exhaustive searching myself, I narrowed it down to the MT MTZ, Dick Cepek Mud Country, or the Hankook Dynapro MT. I'm leaning heavily towards the MTZ myself.

Some of your choices, like the LTB or TSL won't ride nearly as smooth as most of the others you listed, and the LTB is a bias ply, the TSL can be had either radial or bias ply. Strong tires for sure, but I wouldn't want them on a daily driver.
AntiPrius is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaffdog View Post
Gang

Looking to upgrade my 32" BF Goodrich All terrain TAs with a set of 35" tires for 15" rims (or maybe get a combo set with 17" rims) for my 1990 Wrangler.

I've narrowed my choices to the following and was looking to see what ya'll thought. Open to other suggestions outside these choices.

3.) Pro Comp Xtreme M/T2
That list has a good bit of diversity. It's odd to see TSLs, LTBs in competition with some of the radials listed. You also don't mention the intended use.

If its a trail only rig I would likely go with the LTBs, though if considering that tire I would actually choose the Irok over those. Great on the trail but horrible on road. Best off road tire I have ever run. You might consider Pitbulls as well.

As for the radials, of those listed I only have experience with the Pro Comp and have been very pleased with them. Haven't tried the PC XMT2 though and since the original has treated me well I wouldn't think the 2s would be worse. I like the PC XMTs better than the Toyo MTs.

What about the SS M16?

Good luck and post pics when she gets her new shoes.

Unread 04-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaffdog View Post
Gang

3.) Pro Comp Xtreme M/T2
Of those, I'd probably go with MTZ or Hankook MT; but if you're considering Interco, how about Trxus MT? The Trxus MT is a radial and is (somewhat) more street friendly than those other Interco tires you mentioned. IMO.

On the aggressive, but still streetable, end of the spectrum; have you considered Trxus MT?

On the less aggressive, but still off roadable, end of the spectrum; have you considered Duratrac?
Unread 04-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The MTZ hands down for an all around DD/weekend warrior tire. Will hold its own in mud against SS tires, Just as good on the rocks as mt/r's, And roll smooth down the highway after. Minimal weight to balance and wear good as well, My last set I had netted 46k. Good luck either way
Unread 04-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #6
kromar
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just got the Hankook MT on my Rubicon. They handle great on road and are quiet, just a low hum at 65. They were cheaper than the Bfg which were stock. Haven't tried them off road yet but they got great reviews. Very satisfied so far. Happy tire hunting !
kromar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #7
DRFlickner

I've had success with both the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw TTC and the Hankook Dynapro M/T.

The Baja Claw TTC tires are directional, so you'll only be able to rotate front to back (something to consider incase you hadn't already considered it).
DRFlickner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #8
scaffdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sprung a couple new leaks. Looks like I'm going to be replacing a few seals and maybe an oil pump. Got to push the tire purchase back a little bit to offset the unexpected $$$$. More time for research
scaffdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #9
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am lucky enough to get to daily drive and race on Hankook Dynapro M/T's. I run them in the 37" flavor and will echo what was posted above. Easy to balance, not very loud on the street, and very grippy offroad.

I've run 7 different brands of tires on my jeep and the Hankook's are some of my favorites.

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #10
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I actually just pulled the trigger on a set of Ion Alloy 171's, and will be getting Hankook Dynapro MT's in two weeks both from Discount tire. Couldn't beat the price of $85 per wheel and $184 per tire. I'll give feedback on them after I get them installed.
Unread 04-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #11
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm amazed at all the good reviews and tire mag contest results with these Hankook Dynapro MTs. How can a tire with relatively small size voids clear mud so well - equal to or better than KM2s, MTZs, and even TSLs?
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
I'm amazed at all the good reviews and tire mag contest results with these Hankook Dynapro MTs. How can a tire with relatively small size voids clear mud so well - equal to or better than KM2s, MTZs, and even TSLs?
The tire seems to defy all common beliefs. I hate mud and will avoid it if at all possible, and luckily we don't have much in AZ, so I won't know how well they perform in it.
Unread 04-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #13
gottav8
1984 CJ7 

I am a big fan of the M/T Baja claw radials
3 jeep builds and all had them, currently have 33x12.50x15s on 15x8 MT outlaw 3s.
gottav8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.