Upgrading Tires and Wheels for the first time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Upgrading Tires and Wheels for the first time

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 06-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
oocpfidell
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrading Tires and Wheels for the first time

Hi All, I'm finally ready to upgrade the wheels and tires on my stock 2006 TJ. I'm looking for some Black mat wheels I'm thinking maybe 15". The hard part is finding the correct tires. I'm looking for something that performs well off road as well as on pavement and that will give me some more ground clearance while also giving that lifted Jeep look. Also something not too loud would be nice. I do not know where to start. I went to a few tire stores and they didn't have great offroad tire selections and referred me back to Jeep Forum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Patrick

oocpfidell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Necko2529
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The biggest tire you will be able to fit on there is going to be 31", that's assuming your jeep has stock suspension.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

[B]RIP "Prescott 19"[/B] Prescott Fire Department
Necko2529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #3
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A lot of people like Goodyear MTRs for multi-purpose tires.

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:05 AM   #4
dlysle
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i was running Falken Rocky Mountains (wild peak) but while they did great off road i found that after about 10K miles they started to suck in the rain and snow. i sold them and got a set of goodyear duratracs, love them! look aggressive, great bite off road, but still have plenty of sipes for wet or winter weather on the street.

'four wheel drive only allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places' - George Noll
dlysle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
speedyrev
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Goodyear Duratrac 31x10.5x15 - Quiet on road, comfy ride, great in the dirt. The only negative I've ever heard from anyone on this tire is the sidewalls don't do well if you off road around jagged rocks. I have them on my daily driver/ weekend warrior.
speedyrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oocpfidell View Post
that will give me some more ground clearance while also giving that lifted Jeep look.
Only an actual lift will do that.Make sure you get the proper backspacing on the new wheels.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman

Only an actual lift will do that.Make sure you get the proper backspacing on the new wheels.
Not necessarily. If he has the stock 28s or 29s, a 31" will give it a "lifted look."

And X2 on duratracs.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Ljcrawler05
2005 LJ Wrangler 

My mickey thompson atz's have more than surprised me in quality. They are at about 50% tread and have about 28k on them. They have worn more evenly then any tire I've tried and are quieter on the street. Im running 305/70/16 on my lj rubicon. Ive also made a cou0le trips in the rocks and once in the mud and they performed very well but I dont do too much hardcore offroading unfortunately
Ljcrawler05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I suggest the OP look at All Terrain (AT) tires. The best ATs are excellent on road and good off road.

Here is a thread about ATs.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/n...e-one-1527835/

---

If you want something more aggressive than an AT, then I recommend Duratrac because they are decent on road, great off road for moderate wheeling, and look good in an aggressive way.

---

31 x 10.5 R15 is size is one of the largest tires that fits a stock TJ and it works great on and off road. That works great with stock 15 x 8 wheels.

31 x 9.5 R16 (245/75R16) load C is another one of the largest tires that fits a stock TJ and it works great off road. That works great with stock 16 x 7 wheels.

I wonder if 32 x 10.5 R16 (265/75R16) load C would fit? Not sure, but I think maybe it would. You'd need 16 x 8 wheels for that. Ideally stock Wrangler Rubicon Moab wheels, if you owned those wheels.

---

You can spray paint wheels black (for minimal cost), if you already own wheels you like.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:37 AM   #10
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
A lot of people like Goodyear MTRs for multi-purpose tires.
Yes, but MTRs are for people who do multipurpose things that include extreme hardcore offroad activities. There are better choices for multi purpose use that includes lots of on road and casual to moderate off road wheeling.

I certainly agree that MTR look aggressive, but I think it's more hardcore than the OP needs.
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
biere
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I did a ton of reading in the last months and mostly last week.

31x10.5r15 is the size this site and many others recomend for stock tj wranglers. It fits and you might have to adjust the steering stops just a tad.

As far as the lifted look comment, spend some time in the lift thread and figure out what you are after.

My jeep shipped with 30 inch tires and I ordered in 31s. While stock they will be fine, and I will probably lift it an inch or two when I put a front bumper and winch on it since I want stiffer springs. The 31s will look fine with the tiny lift I have planned. My jeep currently wears 235/75/r15 tires so the 31s will possably take just a bit for me to get used to since it could change some of the cruising rpms I have, going to have to hook up a gps and see what reality is. Right now I am a bit slow.

I like my stock rims and want to find some more for a trailer for the jeep. If I wanted black I would paint or plasti dip em, but the golden eagle has colored rims so I am happy with that.

I recently towed 1500 or so lbs on a trailer, total weight, and was happy with how the tj did. It was dry and sunny and not something I plan to do every day. Anyway, with me towing and running a lot of pavement I ordered in some all terrains because they will hold up to towing and driving better in most cases when looking at life of the tire.

I went ahead and ordered the poor old bfg all terrain that everyone hates and picks on. It is an older design but I trust bfg and in doing some reading the tire will do what I want to do just fine. Its tread life is part of why I picked it.

I will admit that I picked up some 15x7 inch tj rims already and might mount up a set of aggressive tires as well, but first I want to see how the bfg all terrains will do.

The bfg all terrains are said to make a little noise. I don't mind some noise.

I have asked a lot of jeep folks who are locals what they use. I have stopped at a lot of tire shops and what not as well.

I have spent hours upon hours reading on the net.

One thing about the bfg all terrains is that they do still show up as being ok.

As far as the lifted look goes, my golden eagle is stock in the suspension from what I can tell and I am happy with how it sits. I don't want it real high but I don't like the tjs that shipped with the smaller tires.

Mine shipped on 30s and while I might go up an inch or two I don't plan more than that.
biere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
oocpfidell
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the insight guys, very helpful. I ended up going with Duratrac 31"x10.5x15 as it's one of the largest most aggressive tires that will good for both on and off-road. I was going to get Black Rock 997 flat matte black steelies but the company I was purchasing them through offered me ProComp 7069 alloys flat black again for an extra $15 per wheel so I ordered them. I read up a bit on the weight differences between alloys and steel wheels and I'm not sure there's a huge difference in regards to gas mileage between the 2 but the Alloys had a better look and I figure why not see if I save some $ on gas over the life span of the wheels. The wheels should be coming in the next few days and I can't wait to see how they look and test them out. I'll try to post a pic when they're on. Next I believe that I need an alignment.
oocpfidell is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.