Upgrade rims - offset? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Upgrade rims - offset?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
GCSahara
2014 JK Wrangler 

Upgrade rims - offset?

I'm in a 2011 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited that has yet to be modified. I'm looking to drop down to 17" rims from 18" originals to accommodate a larger tire. What is the MINIMUM offset to not be labeled "aggressive"? Tirerack is telling me >25mm and another is telling me >15mm is ok. I am not planning on changing out the fender nor lifting the suspension. Only rims and corresponding larger tires. Thanks for the help!

GCSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Depends on tire width. if its any tire in the 12.5 wide. Back space should be 4.5"MIN. offset is in the negitive numbers though, should be more like
-10/15. two ways to measure the same thing. Some site give conflicting info as well.
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
GCSahara
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks. Unfortunately I'm not following the explanation, the main part being that I was advised offset can never be negative.
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Not sure how much this will help but...

Offset is measured from the rims center line. Positive offset moves the rim more to the inside of the vehicle and negitive offset moves it more to the outside of the vehicle.

Backspacing is measured from the backside of the rim to the point where it contacts the hub. Higher backspacing measurements move the rim more under the vehicle and lower measurements move the rim more to the outside.

Like 222Doc said it's two ways to measure the same thing. I know what both are and how they work but to me backspacing is easier to understand and figure out. Also offset is more commonly used on FWD and backspacing is more commonly used on RWD/4WD.
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
GCSahara
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks - that diagram is a great way to visualize this whole topic. So based on 222Doc any rim I choose should should have 4.5" backspace. The below one I was told I can't have based on the offset being negative (no reference to backspace)

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92605_6123.htm
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

Well an 8 lug rim will not work for you, that's for sure. It really depends how big of a tire you want to run. I'm not familiar with JKs at all. I can tell you from the quick research I did this rim:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/92605_6100_07.htm
(Same rim you linked but in correct bolt pattern) will stick out about 1.75 inches further than the stock 18" rims. Will it fit? It'll bolt on. Depending on tires it may or may not rub. I'm sure someone more familiar with JK's will chime in and help. Aggressive? That's up to you. I like a tire that sticks out a bit. Just the rim sticking out an extra 1.75" and then a tire hanging an inch or two even further out? Sounds a little aggressive to me.

For reference from what I found. The JK is a 5x5 bolt pattern. Your optional Sahara rims should be an 18x7.5 with 6.25" backspacing. If you want to keep it close to stock try and match up these measurments. Maybe look for a 17x8 with 5.5-6" backspacing. Remember the lower the backspacing the further it will stick out. Like I said I know nothing about JK's and this is real general information so take all this with a grain of salt.
Unread 04-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
GCSahara
2014 JK Wrangler 

Great advice. Thanks for the help...

Tags
offset , rim size , rims , sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.