Uniroyal Laredo AWT or Firestone Destination AT? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Uniroyal Laredo AWT or Firestone Destination AT?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
catintat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Uniroyal Laredo AWT or Firestone Destination AT?

Anyone have any personal reviews for these tires? I'm trying to decide.

ALL of my driving is on-road, and 75% is interstate travel at 70-80 MPH.

I don't want to go with a wimpy looking tire, but not super aggressive either.

Thanks,
Alanna

Unread 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #2
catintat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well, looked at both side by side today and went with the Firestones. Those look awesome. Now ... I need to get the front pair on asap so I have a matched set.

Anyone want to buy/trade a couple of FS Destinations for BF Goodrich Long Trails ? My size is 30x9.5r15.
Unread 04-27-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
91xjgawes

take a look at the toyo open country a/t

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

1998 zj 5.2- 245/75's moabs
91xjgawes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
DavidAnderson
1993 ZJ 

why are you limiting yourself? You left out bfg at, the general grabber which is a nice at, and a few others
DavidAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
catintat
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hi David -

Well, I have BFGs on the front and Duelers on the rear, and they last maybe about 36-40k tops. I'm buying a pair of tires every 18 months, and it's getting expensive. I work for a humv parts distributor, so we have a good source for tires locally and he had the uni's and the FS in stock today in my size. I was desperate, good price, 60k tires, good looking so ... we'll see how the go.

But, I am going to be doing more research for my next set.
Unread 04-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #6
SpaComponents
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I've had BFG's AT's, now have Revo's on my Wrangler, just put the Destination ATs on our Liberty, and WOW! Big improvement in road noise, excellent in snow, dirt, and even the ice we had here last New Years, great in rain, excellent tire, better than any AT I've used.

I'm thinking of trying the Destination MT's on the Wrangler next.
SpaComponents is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2009, 12:19 AM   #7
+Crusader+

The Firestone AT reviews at or near the top of the list of all terrains available on www.tirerack.com website. That survey is taken from a large customer sampling, so the results are as accurate as you are going to find. Being as how you spend 100% of your time on the highway there would be no reason to recommend the BFG AT ... the only other tire I would suggest is the Goodyear Silent Armor, but that is likely something your dealer doesn't have in stock.
Unread 04-28-2009, 12:46 AM   #8
91xjgawes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFivinWhiteGuy View Post
The Firestone AT reviews at or near the top of the list of all terrains available on www.tirerack.com website. That survey is taken from a large customer sampling, so the results are as accurate as you are going to find. Being as how you spend 100% of your time on the highway there would be no reason to recommend the BFG AT ... the only other tire I would suggest is the Goodyear Silent Armor, but that is likely something your dealer doesn't have in stock.
i have had the firestone a/t and the toyo at, and the toyo excels in all terrains. tirerack does not sell toyo so you cant compare the two through that. the toyo is far better in rain and snow than the firestone. not to mention its a better looking tire

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

Unread 04-28-2009, 05:47 AM   #9
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91xjgawes View Post
i have had the firestone a/t and the toyo at, and the toyo excels in all terrains. tirerack does not sell toyo so you cant compare the two through that. the toyo is far better in rain and snow than the firestone. not to mention its a better looking tire
A guy I worked with has Toyo AT's on his Jeep and they are definitely NOTHING special or extraordinary compared to any other decent street tire I've seen/used ... At least nothing magical to either one of us.

As far as appearance; the BFG AT is much better looking than the Toyo, and the Firestone or Goodyear is equivalent in appearance to me, with the Firestone having the better looking sidewall of the three.

Anyhow, I remember in the late 80's / early 90's when Yokohamas were the hot gossip that never quite panned out as 'advertised' ... Those came with free Ramen too.
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #10
91xjgawes

without running them, then the only thing you know of performance is what you hear...i have ran both...
of course there is nothing extraordinary, but they perform better than most.

just for comparison...

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

Unread 04-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #11
+Crusader+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91xjgawes View Post
without running them, then the only thing you know of performance is what you hear...
The guy I worked with ('Fireman Ron'), had me drive his Jeep a few times (which actually inspired me to buy a YJ over a TJ), but I also rode around with him a bunch, so my experience with them is not just heresay. We drove in all sorts of weather (besides snow/ice), they were new, worked great, but were nothing more special than any other higher end AT tire. That is all I am saying, I know you REALLY like them and I'm happy for you, but most higher end tires either work real well, or they don't.

As far as believing all he had said, well he's been around hot rods and cars since the 60's ... fought in 'Nam, owns a few toys and tinkers with cars all the time ... so I would say his experiences with MANY tires far exceeds the ideas you have about he and I.

Ps- In your comparison photos, what size is the Toyo?
Unread 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
91xjgawes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFivinWhiteGuy View Post
The guy I worked with ('Fireman Ron'), had me drive his Jeep a few times (which actually inspired me to buy a YJ over a TJ), but I also rode around with him a bunch, so my experience with them is not just heresay. We drove in all sorts of weather (besides snow/ice), they were new, worked great, but were nothing more special than any other higher end AT tire. That is all I am saying, I know you REALLY like them and I'm happy for you, but most higher end tires either work real well, or they don't.

As far as believing all he had said, well he's been around hot rods and cars since the 60's ... fought in 'Nam, owns a few toys and tinkers with cars all the time ... so I would say his experiences with MANY tires far exceeds the ideas you have about he and I.

Ps- In your comparison photos, what size is the Toyo?
you are right any high end A/T will perform well. that being said, i prefer the looks of the toyo better than others esp the firestone.
i will agree with you that the BFG A/T looks better than any of them.

in the comparison photos, i just googled them and picked one, i have no idea.

2001 xj- 2 inch bb moabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.