Undecided between STTs or Duratrac's - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Undecided between STTs or Duratrac's

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 04-11-2013, 06:08 PM   #61
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Probably going to order 5, 285-75-16 Cooper STT's tomorrow . I kind of like the weight of the Duratrac but the Tread of the STT. Being this isn't my DD and is mostly for going to fishing holes out on the woods I decided the tread would be more helpful than the lighter weight . At least thas how I feel tonight

Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #62
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I ordered the STT's . It was almost a flip of a coin decision. So many compliments for both tires I don't think either would be a mistake. Thanks for all of the input . Wednesday they should be in so I will know soon enough if I made the right move or not .
Unread 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #63
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I've never ran the new style of STTs (ran through a couple sets on my truck when that tire first came out in the 90's). However, I got Duratracs on my Jeep a year or so ago and love them. This Jeep is my daily driver and these tires are great on the road, quiet when the top is off, and have performed good in the snow and offroad. I don't get very extreme in crawling or mudding so I can't vouch for Duratracs in those conditions.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #64
candsevo7

having read through the whole thread, one thing i dont get, why are you comparing a mud tyre to an all terrain? there will always be big differences in onroad and off road traction.

i have tried both on my Pajero Evo and currently run stt's which are ok, however i really got on well with Hankook Dynapro RT-03, they were amazing and as good on road as any all terrain i have tried over the years, i only changed to the cooper as i was given a free set.
candsevo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #65
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by candsevo7 View Post
having read through the whole thread, one thing i dont get, why are you comparing a mud tyre to an all terrain? there will always be big differences in onroad and off road traction.

i have tried both on my Pajero Evo and currently run stt's which are ok, however i really got on well with Hankook Dynapro RT-03, they were amazing and as good on road as any all terrain i have tried over the years, i only changed to the cooper as i was given a free set.
Comparing tread ? Not comparing . I was just getting close to buying new tires and wanted to see if any one had any issue ( structure , balance ) with either tire that I had not read about which would sway me one way or the other. The difference in the tread pattern between the two didnt matter as much as tire quality did. Seemed to be a wash so being the Jeep is just a toy I went for the more aggressive tread . Now do ya get it ?
Unread 04-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #66
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
Comparing tread ? Not comparing . I was just getting close to buying new tires and wanted to see if any one had any issue ( structure , balance ) with either tire that I had not read about which would sway me one way or the other. The difference in the tread pattern between the two didnt matter as much as tire quality did. Seemed to be a wash so being the Jeep is just a toy I went for the more aggressive tread . Now do ya get it ?
Let us know if the new tires helps your steering/ride issues you were talking about on the Duroflex thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #67
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

It will be hard to say for sure now . I sold the 33-12.50-15 tires and the 15x8 wheels with 3.75 BS and replaced them with the OE 16" Moabs with 5" BS . The Moabs have worn out 265s on them and I feel a huge improvment as far as stability on the road even with them . The STTs go on Thursday . Being I have seen an improvement already I have reinstalled the rear lower Duraflex joints and all is well so far . I think what I had said still holds true , the Joints are not the reason for the steering issues its just they are soft enough to make it seem worse being they allow more movement than a JJ. I hope to be able to reinstall the lower fronts eventually . I will know better Thursday night. It also seems better being I removed the Anti-Rock . I will get this thing right eventually.
Unread 04-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #68
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you have to ask, Duratracs.
Unread 04-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #69
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
If you have to ask, Duratracs.
Maybe you should read the thread before posting .................
Unread 04-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #70
Jake03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have 42k on my Duratracs, and they still have tread left. Great street manners, but they suck in the mud....

[B][SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"]"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." Major General James Mattis, USMC[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"][B][COLOR="Blue"]"My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!" Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
Jake03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:56 AM   #71
lukes_ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake03TJ
I have 42k on my Duratracs, and they still have tread left. Great street manners, but they suck in the mud....
Really??? I thought they were pretty good.?
lukes_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:00 PM   #72
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Perhaps he meant they are not good in mud with the reduced amount of tread he has left at 42K miles?
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #73
lukes_ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3
Perhaps he meant they are not good in mud with the reduced amount of tread he has left at 42K miles?
Lol. True that. It would be a problem!
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #74
smurfinjeep
1991 XJ Cherokee 

If the dura tracs are anything like my mtr kevlars... They'll be awesome tires that hold against rocks sharp logs sticks and get you home on pavement. Plenty of tread life. Over 22k on mine and more than enough tread for another 2 years.
smurfinjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #75
lukes_ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfinjeep
If the dura tracs are anything like my mtr kevlars... They'll be awesome tires that hold against rocks sharp logs sticks and get you home on pavement. Plenty of tread life. Over 22k on mine and more than enough tread for another 2 years.
Is yours a dd?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.