Undecided between STTs or Duratrac's - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Undecided between STTs or Duratrac's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #46
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
I am replacing a set of BFG ATs that seem to have a mind of their own on the road and required way way to much weight to balance
----------
Anyone else have this problem? I have had a set of BFG ATs on something forever and never had a problem. On my Wrangler I get 100K Miles if I run them till they are almost bald. And balancing has never been an issue.
Out of probably over a dozen sets of BFG's on my DDs this is the first that acted like this . I have since decided to sell the 5 ,15x8 Ultra 50/51 wheels also and will be using 285/75/16s on Moabs . Gaining a little more back spacing tends to give the Jeep a little more leverage in the steering dept and little less wandering also.

Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #47
Redrocklocal

I had a set of 35's on a JK Rubi and got less than 30k out of them. They did great in the loose earth and just OK in the snow. I would give them a C+ in the rocks and ledges of Moab. I just got back from a spring break week in Moab and took my Grand this time. It is a bit more mild. 4in. under her, with just one locker and a disconnected front. I run 245 75's 16's in the Dura trac. I have just over 34k on the set with more than 50% tread remaining. I aired down to about 20lbs and literally walked stuff that I had struggled a bit on in the Rubi last year. The WJ grand is my DD. and I could not be more pleased with these tires. I will buy them again. Both tires are more aggressive than others so I did get some road noise from both sets. When I first bought the STT's I got one that was out of round. I kept going back to Discount Tire with my complaint and they would re balance. After I did my homework to make sure no steering and suspension parts were loose or worn they did eventually replace the tire. After that they were much better. My Dura Trac's although 3 inches shorter are a much better all around tire. I consider them magic in the snow, and get a B+ or A- on all other things. You have a lot of input here, hopefully it helps your decision.
Redrocklocal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #48
Windrider
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have STTs on my F150 for 25k miles and Duratracs on my Cherokee for 10k miles.

Different vehicles, but similar style tires.

Duratracs balance easier and stay in balance better.
I would give a nod to the Duratracs on the road for comfort and noise.
On road wet weather performance goes to the duratrac.
I would give the nod to the STTs off road for Durability in rocks.

In clay type mud they perform similarly. Neither clean as easily as a true mud tire and both a way better than the BFG AT and General Grabbers that I have used.

Neither have dug in too bad on sandy (not pure sand) type soil.

Howdy. Six years lurking. I think this is my first post.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #49
RSPRAGGINS
1986 CJ7 

Tires for the jeep

See this site for the tires i prefer behind a Z06-LS6 CJ7 Jeep.
http://blog.liveoffroad.com/jeep-cj-...m=6&gallery=25
got over 40k miles on last set with almost half tread left.
SUPER SWAMPERs FROM INTERCO SSR-33 X 12.5 X 15. Were almost impossible to find for a long time, but now Interco is making their own of this style. Prediator 4 wheel shop, best/oldest in Colorado Springs folks all run this tire and they some serious wheeling and they drive their rigs to the area, not trailered.
If you want milder, the old BF Good TA/Radial is still the best, but expensive.
Son got 80k miles on his last set on a Grand Cherkee.

P.s. Stay away from C & R Radiators, had 2 start leaking in 4k miles and they won't honor replacing or even answering emails, even said to go to Ron Davis Radiators, which is my next one.
RSPRAGGINS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #50
Poe_jc

Currently running the 31x 10.5 15 STT's on a stock TJ and couldn't be happier. No hard 4wd action at this point but everything I've been in I've had no issues with traction (rain, gravel, sand & etc). After comparing different brands for several months I chose the Coopers due to their pattern, side walls, and great dry rot guarantee (which is a concern in Vegas).
Poe_jc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:24 AM   #51
lukes_ranger

I really like the duratracs ran them on my truck and was traveling 60 miles a day. Put 5k miles on them, and still looked brand new. Then I sold the truck. But doesn't the duratracs wear fast in hot weather? How many miles are u guys getting out of them in hot weather?
lukes_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #52
JCTJeep11

Cooper Discoverer ATP

I'm running the Cooper Discoverer ATP (LT285/70R17)(33's) on Black Alloy Rims - Awesome tires for on and off the pavement - very little to no road noise - Great in the snow and rain - no issues at all in the sand (air-down to 15 PSI) - have had no issues on the mountain trails. Have not tried on rock climbing. Purchased at Discount Tire, I get great service and prices from the folks at Discount Tires. They will always have my business.
JCTJeep11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #53
TrailRated2011

2011 JK Wrangler 

285/75R16 GY Wrangler DuraTrac E

@Gary2

I have used GY Wrangler DuraTrac E on my 2011 JK 2dr for 2+ years.

Dislikes: None

Likes: Traction (rock crawling, mud, snow, gravel); tread wear; value for money; great agressive look (lots of people/passers-by take notice and tell me they like the tires' look); quiet and comfortable highway ride; great snow traction; studdable (for ice); built-in rim protector to help protect wheels from accidental damage on and off-road; and plenty of grip and side bite!

N.B. Meets Provincial laws in Quebec, Canada for mandatory winter tires. Mountain/Snowflake symbol branded on the Duratrac's sidewall identifies tires that meet the required performance in snow testing and provincial requirements.

Side Note: I just completed a road trip a couple of weeks ago (Canada to Miami Fl. USA I-81 to I-95) Ottawa, Ontario to Miami-Dade South, Florida return trip-----quiet and comfortable highway ride. Amazing!
-
dtrac1.jpg   dtrac2.jpg   dtrac3.jpg   dtrac4.jpg   dtrac5.jpg  

dtrac6.jpg  
follow the general rule of off-roading, "Go as slow as you can, as fast as you must."
I'm on the Web: geres.ca

Last edited by TrailRated2011; 04-07-2013 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: minor edit
TrailRated2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #54
Nebraska4X4
1999 XJ Cherokee 

hey didn't read all of the thread other than the first part i have the duratrac 33x12.50 on my 99 xj and couldn't be happier in my opinion i would say the next best thing would be swampers
Unread 04-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #55
rvrdvr
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I have a set of the 33x12.5R15 Duratracs and love them. They are much quieter than the BFG MT the po had on it. Better in the rain too!
rvrdvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #56
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrdvr View Post
I have a set of the 33x12.5R15 Duratracs and love them. They are much quieter than the BFG MT the po had on it. Better in the rain too!
They are much quieter and better on the street because they are an AT tire, not a mud tire.
Unread 04-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #57
lukes_ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post

They are much quieter and better on the street because they are an AT tire, not a mud tire.
^this^
lukes_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #58
bbacus
1999 TJ Wrangler 

STT or Duratracs

I do have one thing to say and that is most of the MT tires you will find are pretty good. This is more of a personal/subjective decision. I think STTs are a great tire for the price. They drive well on the highway and are durable off road. However, MT's are notoriously bad on ice and wet pavement. Keep that in mind. If you are an extreme off roader, you should look at extreme tires...keeping in mind most of them are expensive...for good reason.

After a lot of research, not personal experience, I also like Toyo Open Country MTs. They are massive and durable. Bottom line here, is that Duratracs are an AT tire. Not even close to STT which is an MT tire. If the Duratrac is a decent tire it should wear better than the STT. Compare like tires guys. AT's are better highway tires and have better wet road/icey road handling characteristics. Duratracs would not hold up where I off road. AT's are simply a weaker tire than any MT. If you think you are getting a better tire, there are tradeoffs between offroad capability and highway capability. AT's, simply won't do the job where an MT is required. If you want good specialized tires like swampers, or sand tires, that's great, but they are terrible on hard surfaces. Determine what is most important to you first. If you want a tire that lasts longer and drives down the highway better, choose an AT. I want off road durability and strength, so the minimum tire that I can buy is an MT.

Last edited by bbacus; 04-17-2013 at 01:44 PM..
bbacus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #59
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebraska4X4 View Post
hey didn't read all of the thread other than the first part i have the duratrac 33x12.50 on my 99 xj and couldn't be happier in my opinion i would say the next best thing would be swampers

Its obvious you have only bought one set of tires that didnt go on a car. Next best thing to swampers?
Unread 04-10-2013, 03:46 PM   #60
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

or the cooper st max is an even better option. I'd go with those over duratracs Any day.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.