Undecided between STTs or Duratrac's - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Undecided between STTs or Duratrac's

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #31
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772

This is incorrect. It's more of a 2:1 ratio, not 10:1. Here's a link to a nice little write-up explaining the math/science of it and how it applies practically to automobiles.
http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html
This is exactly what I was looking for in another post thank you for providing the link. So a 6 pound increase in each tire equates to only 48 pounds in the bed.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:27 AM   #32
CaliforniaKid
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I love my STT's and am on my second set. My first set were 31 x 10.50-15 and after 30,000 miles still had half their tread left. I went up to a set of 33 x 12.50-15 and love em. Great offroad, quiet although they do get noisier as the tread wears, handle well.
CaliforniaKid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:03 AM   #33
Nez
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Been running the STT's for the past 2 years. You need to determine what is more important to your driving/use. I use mine in off road, summer driving, winter plowing on my property only. They aren't good in the slick stuff on the road but plowing a gravel drive way they are great! They clear mud and snow great but don't have the siping you would want for a good street tire in the rain or snow. If you do more with your vehicle on the road like a DD then you might be better off with the Dura track. I deal with a guy in Saline Mich. that does rebuilds on jeeps as a line of work and he puts the Dura Tracks on all his rebuilds. I haven't had any problems with my STT's but I don't use my TJ on the road when it is wet or icey and I live at the "tip of the mit" Michigan. Snow Country!
Nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #34
Slydeco
1985 CJ7 

I,m running the GoodYears Duratrac but I,m a DD with my CJ most Highway camp roads.Had a bad run with Coopers and will never go back!!! Can,t say enough good about the GYears.
Slydeco is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #35
tnvol1964
2006 LJ Wrangler 

STT's Please....

I also narrowed my search to these two tires as my first tire purchase for my "new to me" 06 LJ. Its a second car for me and the DD issue was not there. However, I chose the STT. I have enjoyed them and they have performed well on the streets and my limited off road usage. Came down to two things;

1. Looks- well made (USA) and dont see them every day like the Goodyears- had them for a year now and still look new. A post on this Forum kinda sticks with me-the guy said that after they showed up on his door step that they were more aggressive looking in real life than all the reviews he had seen.

2. Price- bought them at Treadepot.com and that made the deal.

Some notes- 5 balanced really well(32-11.5-15) except one- could have had them re-mount and balance but did not- not that big an issue since they were balanced. They clear mud and grip great. Has some siping which helps in the wet stuff- I havent had an issue with the STTs.

Please understand this is not a Goodyear ding- simply a process of choice for me.

Sounds like everyone likes what they have either way and doesnt seem like you will regret your choice whichever you choose.

Enjoy the ride!!
tnvol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #36
Flyfishing
2002 JK Wrangler 

I have the Duratrac's on my Wrangler, love them. They replaced the MTR's I had on there originally. They are especially good in the snow.
Flyfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #37
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like they both are very well liked so I guess its almost a coin toss in the end .
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #38
LilNasty

On my second set of Duratrac's. They are not a bad tire just a few quirks that I'm going to try something different next time. Sidewalls are too thin. On my Sierra I cut the sidewall on one within a week of street use. TireRack warrantied them for me and it didn't happen again. I find they flat spot like bias ply tires when they sit for a while. Under my half ton truck they were "squirmish" until aired above 45 psi and then sometimes after then too. They lasted a real long time on my Sierra and rode very quietly. Pulled good for a hybrid AT in the muck. I may go back to them but want to try something else first.
LilNasty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #39
Yeti1234
2000 WJ 

I've got two sets of STs and a set of ST MAXX and I have been very happy with them! The STs are my studded snows for a Jeep GC and an F-250 and the Maxxs are my GC summer tires. The STs are great in mud/clay and the MAXXs are nice and quite. The MAXXs do seem to wander a bit on the highway but I expect that to go away as the tread starts to wear down.
Yeti1234 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #40
Nez
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The St's and ST MAXX are very different tires from the STT's.
Nez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #41
ancientspear
2013 JK Wrangler 

I really like my Druatracs on road and off in all seasons and conditions. However, being a winter rated tire the compound is soft and if you are heavy on the pedal in hot climates you may wear them down pretty quick. Considering the sides are two-ply another downside to the soft compound is the sidewalls do nick easily on granite/quartz but nobody in my club, and there's a few of us, have had a Duratrac sidewall blow out on us despite there being visible damage. New, the tread depth is 18/32" and I've averaged about 8,500 miles or so of distance per 1/32 lost.

When I bought my Duratracs, I was looking at STTs as well. The Duratracs won my money based on price. I am happy with the decision as they've taken my family through some nasty rain, sleet, ice, and snow storms with no loss in confidence on their adhesion to the road.

The other day I ran into a Durango driver who also had Duratracs so I asked him what he thought. He said they were OK but he preferred his old MT Baja MTZs on ice. That being said, if you run two sets of tires the Duratracs can be studded, not sure if the STTs can and depending on the conditions you use them in, that could be a deciding factor.
ancientspear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #42
Yiannis
2008 JK Wrangler 

STT's .....

my 2 cents, I ran 36" STT for a year, happy o trails etc, BUT VERY dangerous on the road... bad grip on asphalt, fishtailing easily on turns ! But the worst is on wet road conditions, that's where the dangerous comes in to play !

never ran Duratracs, so i have no opinion on them. Currently running 37/12.50/17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ and I love them in every surface and in every road condition !

hope this helps.
Yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #43
billiebob
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I am replacing a set of BFG ATs that seem to have a mind of their own on the road and required way way to much weight to balance
----------
Anyone else have this problem? I have had a set of BFG ATs on something forever and never had a problem. On my Wrangler I get 100K Miles if I run them till they are almost bald. And balancing has never been an issue.
billiebob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #44
balger
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary2 View Post
I am undecided between Cooper STT and GY Duratrac at this point and would like to hear some of your experienced thoughts on each. I am interested in knowing how much weight if out of the ordinary either has required to balance , if any odd highway handling quirks or pretty much anything that seems to stand out about either , good or bad . 33-12.50x15 is the size . I am replacing a set of BFG ATs that seem to have a mind of their own on the road and required way way to much weight to balance compared to any tire I have owned in 40 years. Thats including many sets of BFG ATs but none like these .
I have a set of 315LT/70R-17's GY Duratracs on a 2013 Wrangler 4 dr. Rubicon. I just got back from Moab. I drove just under 1200 miles to get there andd then aired down and accomplished 5 trails. They followed by son-in-laws GY MTR's obstacle for obstacle. They were quiet and smooth on the way out on I70 at highway speed and good in snow & ice in Iowa. I would buy these tires again in a heart beat.
balger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #45
ItsMrHall

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Been running the duratracs for a while now. Only real concern is the weak sidewall.

"No its a tie. That guy doesn't count, he can't even read!"
ItsMrHall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.