Undecided between STTs or Duratrac's - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Undecided between STTs or Duratrac's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-31-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
bobthetj03
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Got a little over 5K on my STT's. Weight was a consideration for me as well, but I wanted the extra sidewall protection. To save weight, I went with 32X11:50's. I've had them on just about every type of terrain, ie sand, snow, rain, mud, dirt, and of course pavement. It's my DD and clock 50 miles a day. They took little weight and track down the freeway smooth. Only complaint I have about them is they are a bit noisy on the hiway, well, noisier than my previous BFG KM's were. Hoping to get the same mileage out of them that I got with the BFG's, 50K.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...build-1304260/

White Jeep club member #2003

www.norcal-jeeps.com
bobthetj03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #17
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Go with the STT's. The duratrac's cant hold a candle to them unless on road. The STT will last longer, More biting lugs and edges, tek3 sidewall vs paper thin, The same life span in miles etc But you get traction everywhere with the STT's. They take very little to balance and dont chunk so rebalancing is not an issue. To each his own, Good luck
Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but my STT's were an ugly mess by the time they were at the same amount of miles as my Duratracs. Having finally been able to get a matching spare, I was shocked how minimal the wear on the Duratracs with over 20K miles was vs. the brand new tire.
OCS12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCS12 View Post
Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but my STT's were an ugly mess by the time they were at the same amount of miles as my Duratracs. Having finally been able to get a matching spare, I was shocked how minimal the wear on the Duratracs with over 20K miles was vs. the brand new tire.

I have seen a few, But not too many that fail earily. You cant say all tires are flawless and are exempt. I got 46k out of my MTZ's and some got 25k. Its all give and take kicker is now the gamble is $1000+ minimum.
But when you factor weight, If your geared correct it wont play a factor at all and put you back in oem range for the added weight.
I feel the extra tough sidewall and whatever weight, Is worth the gamble plus great traction in all elements. To each their own though
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #19
CrustySprings
1985 CJ7 

I'll vote for the Cooper STT's. I have been running 32 x 11.50 x 15's for three years. I'm in four low, second gear quite a bit at 12 psi and they are holding up fine. I run 26-28 psi on the road. They aren't very loud on pavement but I like the hum of off road tires. They have a three ply sidewall and they are made here in the USA.
258 cu. inch six, Team Rush ignition upgrade, T5, Dana 300, Superwinch lockouts, Black Diamond 3" suspension lift, greasable shackles, poly bushings, JKS quick discos, 32x11.50x15 Cooper STT's, American Racing 23 15x8 alloys, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio, 2' adjustable tip Firestick antenna, Viair 460 onboard air system
CrustySprings is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

glad no one has mentioned any kind of wandering issues . That is why I am in this boat . I have run BFG AT's or Pro Comp AT's on my DD for 35 years and never had an issue until now . I have never seen a set of tires that the road surface effects as much as my present set . Constant correcting when driving on anything less than a perfect road. Its just plain annoying to drive and they only have about 2000 miles on them . Unfortunately I bougth all 5 used with about 600 miles on them the previous owner said . Who knows for sure , they looked like new and the spare has never been on the ground.
Gary2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I run the STT's, at first they chunked pretty good but now that they are harder they do that less. They track straight on the road, balance great with minimal weight and are pretty dang quiet for how aggressive they are.They got a pretty good bite especially when I went to Moab. I was running unlocked while guys with 4dr JKs with MTR's were locked and spinning their tires in the rain. I've got one small sidewall slice that didn't go all the way through from the sharp So.Cal rocks but I haven't had any issues with it. Other then that no flats or issues with thin sidewalls like the Duratracs.I got about 22k on them and they are about 45-50% worn on a 4 tire rotation, I think they are starting to wear faster though.

I was considering the MTR's, but when guys say they are getting 20k miles out of them on a 5 tires rotation I am happy with my STT's. They are considerably heavier then my buddies MTR's, but I'll take the STT's road life over that. I'll also take the STT over the Duratrac any day due to sidewall strength and better traction. When I can afford 35's I'm going with the STT's again.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #22
OCS12
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have seen a few, But not too many that fail earily. You cant say all tires are flawless and are exempt. I got 46k out of my MTZ's and some got 25k. Its all give and take kicker is now the gamble is $1000+ minimum.
But when you factor weight, If your geared correct it wont play a factor at all and put you back in oem range for the added weight.
I feel the extra tough sidewall and whatever weight, Is worth the gamble plus great traction in all elements. To each their own though
Perfectly fair opinion. As I said in my first post, I had no complaints, I've just been happier with my Duratracs. In all honesty, I should probably withdraw my opinion now that I've thought about it. As I look back through the dates of various repairs and upgrades, I realize my STT's probably suffered many side effects from PO related issues I hadn't discovered yet.

I'll amend my opinion to Duratracs being great tires.
OCS12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:02 AM   #23
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Do you want to drive on highway often? If so, Duratrac way better than STT.

Cooper ST (not STT) is another alternative, especially if you add extra sipes to center treads. It would be a medium choice between STT and Duratrac, IMO.

ST is decent on highway (almost as good as Duratrac), good in mud (equal to Duratrac), and equal to Duratrac on other terrains. ST is a bit more durable than Duratrac.

ST cost the least of these 3 tires.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #24
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Do you want to drive on highway often? If so, Duratrac way better than STT.

Cooper ST (not STT) is another alternative, especially if you add extra sipes to center treads. It would be a medium choice between STT and Duratrac, IMO.

ST is decent on highway (almost as good as Duratrac), good in mud (equal to Duratrac), and equal to Duratrac on other terrains. ST is a bit more durable than Duratrac.

ST cost the least of these 3 tires.

The ST will also be discontinued soon as the ST maxx and the AT3 are a much better and tougher tire all around.
Unread 04-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have experience with the Duratracs but I like my STTs. My opinion is a little biased since my old 33s were worn to hell DC Fun Country 2s. My old tires wandered all over the road and the STTs straightened it up quite a bit. They aren't as good on the rocks as I would like them to be but they do great in mud and snow. I was cruising my Jeep around town in about 6" of snow and slush in 2wd with hardly any spin. I run them about 12 psi offroad and 28 on road. They didn't take excessive weight to balance on cheap Cragar steelies.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #26
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
FWIW, 10 lbs. at the axle is equivalent to 100 lbs. of cargo. I'd save weight there if it were up to me...
This is incorrect. It's more of a 2:1 ratio, not 10:1. Here's a link to a nice little write-up explaining the math/science of it and how it applies practically to automobiles.
http://hpwizard.com/rotational-inertia.html
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #27
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The ST will also be discontinued soon as the ST maxx and the AT3 are a much better and tougher tire all around.
AT3 tougher tgan ST? I doubt that.

However, thanks for info. The AT3 looks great and has great reviews. Thanks for telling me about it. I am impressed with it. Great modern AT tread design with a touch of hybrid features, silica tread, and other James Bond features. Really impressive performance according to reviews. I was particularly impressed with its NOT retaining stones-gravel, and its good (for AT) mud performance.

However, in the 30x9.5R15 size I want, the Cooper AT3 stated size is only 29.3". That is petite for a so called 30" tire.

The BFG AT stated size is 29.5".

The Grabber AT2 stated size is 29.8" and it also has great features and impressive performance reviews.

Does Cooper AT3 run short in other sizes? It's a beautifully designed tire, if tall enough for a person's needs, but the Grabber AT2 is also beautifully designed and runs 1/2" taller in my size.

The Cooper AT3 also runs very short in 31x10.5R15. I didn't check other sizes.

---

I seriously considered Cooper AT3 and General Grabber AT2. Today I bought Grabber AT2.

I did not even consider BFG AT because it is outdated technology.

Are you listening BFG? Add some new features to reduce stone retention and aid self cleaning of mud. Also, it needs an updated tread compound for improved ice traction. How about some silica in tread or softer rubber?

---

Good job to all tire companies that make 30x9.5R15 size!
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #28
nitro237
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have STT's on my 3/4 ton truck. I have about 10k miles on them and so far they have been excellent.
nitro237 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #29
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
AT3 tougher tgan ST? I doubt that.

However, thanks for info. The AT3 looks great and has great reviews. Thanks for telling me about it. I am impressed with it. Great modern AT tread design with a touch of hybrid features, silica tread, and other James Bond features. Really impressive performance according to reviews. I was particularly impressed with its NOT retaining stones-gravel, and its good (for AT) mud performance.

However, in the 30x9.5R15 size I want, the Cooper AT3 stated size is only 29.3". That is petite for a so called 30" tire.

The BFG AT stated size is 29.5".

The Grabber AT2 stated size is 29.8" and it also has great features and impressive performance reviews.

Does Cooper AT3 run short in other sizes? It's a beautifully designed tire, if tall enough for a person's needs, but the Grabber AT2 is also beautifully designed and runs 1/2" taller in my size.

The Cooper AT3 also runs very short in 31x10.5R15. I didn't check other sizes.

---

I seriously considered Cooper AT3 and General Grabber AT2. Today I bought Grabber AT2.

I did not even consider BFG AT because it is outdated technology.

Are you listening BFG? Add some new features to reduce stone retention and aid self cleaning of mud. Also, it needs an updated tread compound for improved ice traction. How about some silica in tread or softer rubber?

---

Good job to all tire companies that make 30x9.5R15 size!

I know the ST maxx is tougher, But the AT3 is newish and jury is still out. But i can say they have a deeper lug void section vs. most other a/t tires. From eyeball/ballpark they look to be the same size, But no true measurements to speak of.

IMO I think you bought the best a/t on the market for an all around tire that will go the distance. The generals are and always will be better than the BFG a/t. Too much hype around the BFG for the lack of traction in anything but dry streets.

Last time the coop man was around with his banners etc, He asked about what works best for our area. He seen my rig had kevlars, I told him a true to size tire helps along with the best sidewall you can come up with. I also told him even if it makes the price go up a bit, Its well worth it to the people buying certain models.
I dont know how far my comments made it, But he took a pic of my jeep with goodyears in front of the cooper store to show that tough tires are needed/wanted.
I also gave him JF, Pirate, and a couple other 4wd forum links so they could read what the people are saying. I told him to look at member #'s and how many visit and read reviews and threads.
But like any other rep he sat and agreed with me and took down the names etc but as far as that went, I dont know.

BTW, Is that you chuck/CB3?
Unread 04-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #30
markhuntsville

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Cooper Discoverer ATP or Dura-trac

I've had all three;

Cooper STT - noisy, wore fast, good traction - probably will never buy again.

GY Dura-trac - quiet, excellent trad life, mediocre traction, would consider, but the cost is high.

Cooper Discoverer ATP - my current tire, 50K warranty on Load Range E tire, and got a set of 285/75/16 on ebay for $620 delivered after rebate!
Absolutely love these tires, outstanding traction, absolutely quite, and with a 50K warranty, what else is desired?
markhuntsville is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.