Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

trying to do my homework! in need of answers.

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  shadetree 
#1 ·
i am doing research for my next build, previous build was an '85 silverado half ton 4x4. my wifes dd is going to go under the knife soon after i return from overseas. at first i wanted a 6" suspension lift with 33's, however my wife thinks a 4" w/ 33's should work. this lucky rig is a '94 grand cherokee laredo with a inline 6. i plan on aftermarket front and rear bumpers with a winch mount for the front.

1. what will perform best in clearance with full articulation and turning ability?

2. this may seem silly but am i wrong to think that in a desert/rock environment i should have steel over alloy wheels?

3. with quick disconnects and full articulation what back spacing is reccomended for say 33x12.5 (15's or 16's)? i don't want body damage from the tires ripping the fenders up when they are getting tucked in there! any damage i do should come from lessons learned on the trail, you know...the hard way.

i want to build right the first time instead of learning out on the trail when i find i can only do certain things till either i change gear or save to fund for the next mod. i'm starting with a budget of $3g's so any hints on prioritizing my purchases/installations would be awesome. i'll thank you now, and hopefully get responces soon.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wheelin98TJ said:
A ZJ will definitely not clear 33's with only 4" of lift. Even with a 6" lift you will still get them to rub at full flex. Plan on cuttin' fenders or going bigger if you want to run 33's.
Well, not exactly.

You can run 33s with 4.5 or even 5.5 of lift. It really matters whether or not you have your axles set up properly and whether or not you have extended your bumpstops to prevent over articulation and having the correct backspacing. I'm at 6.5 and don't have rubbing issues at all.

Hunter

You should have posted this in the Grand forum pages.

Check out www.kevinsjeepparts.com for ZJ lift info.

#4 ·
i'm the new guy, but i'll check out that forem for more answers also. i do appreciate your input, i like everyones so i can formulate what works/wont. i hit kevins and i was on the site for awhile and i like what i've seen, i did a whole lot of reading.
i have a ? for you though...you posed the ? if i have my axles set properly or not? there stock right now. with a 4.5 lift and the bump stomps on my to do list what else is critical to do right away for a safe ride?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.