TrXus best all around MT? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > TrXus best all around MT?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #106
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
If you aren't doing hard rock crawling on a regular basis, the Duatrac are plenty tough enough, and they are light and ride quality is reasonably good. So there's a couple areas where Duratrac are IMO better than MTR-K.

Ed, do you do hard core rock crawling often? If not, stop worrying about sidewalls.
No rock crawling. I'm in fields & woods with hidden boulders, stumps & big logs, and unmaintained county dirt roads with trees washed up from flooding in addition to mud holes with rocks. Gotta worry about sidewalls - top priority. Can't get stranded where tow trucks can't go. Sidewall & tread toughness is THE most important tire attribute for me.

Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #107
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well if sidewall is #1 on the list, The only tire that is tough enough for the job is the kevlars for an all around strong, Dependable, Long wearing tire.

Only down side to you is looks. Only other down side was balancing, Only a few had that problem and I was one of them. After they got that fixed, I have been happy going on almost 4 years now.

I also just bought a set of at3's for my other TJ and a set of at2's for my truck. The kevlars still out grip and out perform the 'a/t's' dedicated to those conditions. Maximum traction everywhere I go, Ice or jagged rocks.

The only choice is to buy the top tire you don't like the looks of, Or buy a lesser performing, Lesser wearing, But balance a little better, Less quality tire.

The questions I had about the new at2 and at3 are best answered by buying them and trying them! First hand is always best and you know which road not to take next time.
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #108
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Well if sidewall is #1 on the list, The only tire that is tough enough for the job is the kevlars...
I agree with that. However for mud traction the Trxus MT is king (along with some other Interco tires).

IMO an MTR-K would get stuck in mud that a Trxus MT could drive right through.

However, for sidewalls it's MTR-K or General Grabber. (No, I'm not referring to Grabber AT2)
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #109
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BTW - Ed, I wheel same type trails, roads, and goat paths as you describe. I've never had a sidewall problem with any good brand of load C or D all terrain or hybrid.

I really think you're going over kill for no reason, but to each his own. I'm not dissing you there. I just think you're over doing it. Have you had a torn sideall before? If so how many in how many years?
Unread 01-23-2014, 06:40 PM   #110
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
I agree with that. However for mud traction the Trxus MT is king (along with some other Interco tires).

However, for sidewalls it's MTR-K or General Grabber. (No, I'm not referring to Grabber AT2)
I've had both Trxus MT's and the new MT/R K's and the MT/R K's are just as good if not a little better in the much.
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #111
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here in the PNW my tire of choice is the Truxus MT's. Yeah I read all the horror stories about being soft, hard to balance, etc. That wasn't a deterrent after going thru 8 MTR's within a month and finally gave up after Discount tire determined 2 of the 8 were round. Perhaps I purchased during a bad batch. IMO the best tire is based on where you live/wheel. I don't think the MTR's do well in snow/wet at all. If you think they do then you don't know what you are really missing.

Have also ran BF KM2 and Duratracs (33's). For me there isn't a better all-around mud tire for where I live. I have found the Truxus to clean much better than MTR's as well. Ran MTR's in Moab 2 years and they did great ... think that type of dry, rock, desert type climates is where the MTR's do well. However the softness of the Truxus, while many view that is a downside ...also gives in excellent traction in the rocks. To each their own ...buy what you like and have the best luck with.

tophog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #112
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well if sidewall is #1 on the list, The only tire that is tough enough for the job is the kevlars for an all around strong, Dependable, Long wearing tire.

Only down side to you is looks. Only other down side was balancing, Only a few had that problem and I was one of them. After they got that fixed, I have been happy going on almost 4 years now.

I also just bought a set of at3's for my other TJ and a set of at2's for my truck. The kevlars still out grip and out perform the 'a/t's' dedicated to those conditions. Maximum traction everywhere I go, Ice or jagged rocks.

The only choice is to buy the top tire you don't like the looks of, Or buy a lesser performing, Lesser wearing, But balance a little better, Less quality tire.

The questions I had about the new at2 and at3 are best answered by buying them and trying them! First hand is always best and you know which road not to take next time.
There's no doubting the sidewall strength of the Kevlars, I've seen only one claim of sidewall damage on the net. I've had lots of asymmetric as well as directional tread patterns on cars and have never had even wear, so I have a bias, only 30k is OK, but I expect even wear, but my real concern with the MTRK is lack of siping - I just don't see how they could be effective on ice, and I've seen lots of complaints about it from user's of both Jeeps and trucks, who praise it as the best tire they've ever had in all other categories.
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:06 AM   #113
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Both are plenty good enough for me in mud. Grabbers weigh 55 lbs in 31x10.5R15.
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:18 AM   #114
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
BTW - Ed, I wheel same type trails, roads, and goat paths as you describe. I've never had a sidewall problem with any good brand of load C or D all terrain or hybrid.

I really think you're going over kill for no reason, but to each his own. I'm not dissing you there. I just think you're over doing it. Have you had a torn sideall before? If so how many in how many years?
Charley, you've been red-lining your luck gauge!
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:33 AM   #115
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
I've had both Trxus MT's and the new MT/R K's and the MT/R K's are just as good if not a little better in the much.
Lot's of users say the Kevlars are great in mud, but I prefer the conventional MT TrXus tread design with larger voids.
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #116
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophog View Post
Here in the PNW my tire of choice is the Truxus MT's. Yeah I read all the horror stories about being soft, hard to balance, etc. That wasn't a deterrent after going thru 8 MTR's within a month and finally gave up after Discount tire determined 2 of the 8 were round. Perhaps I purchased during a bad batch. IMO the best tire is based on where you live/wheel. I don't think the MTR's do well in snow/wet at all. If you think they do then you don't know what you are really missing.

Have also ran BF KM2 and Duratracs (33's). For me there isn't a better all-around mud tire for where I live. I have found the Truxus to clean much better than MTR's as well. Ran MTR's in Moab 2 years and they did great ... think that type of dry, rock, desert type climates is where the MTR's do well. However the softness of the Truxus, while many view that is a downside ...also gives in excellent traction in the rocks. To each their own ...buy what you like and have the best luck with.

Good review - reaffirms what I suspect about snow/ice performance of the Kevlars and that's a high priority for me in choosing a yr round MT. Just makes sense that TrXus would clear mud better with the bigger voids. Also what you say about dry desert rings true - many Kevlar fans are from desert SW.

That's a great looking rig - I wanted white, but settled for my second favorite, green.
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #117
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
No rock crawling. I'm in fields & woods with hidden boulders, stumps & big logs, and unmaintained county dirt roads with trees washed up from flooding in addition to mud holes with rocks. Gotta worry about sidewalls - top priority. Can't get stranded where tow trucks can't go. Sidewall & tread toughness is THE most important tire attribute for me.
Definitely a major consideration. We ripped a side wall on a fallen branch in a 3/4 ton truck with E rated tires taking 100lbs of corn to a food plot.

We had a spare but the real issue was jacking up a truck that heavy on softer soil. It is easy to change a tire in the garage on the side of a paved road, not so easy in many off road situations.

As far as sidewall strength, the TrXus MT does have on hell of a side wall. I haven’t heard of them ripping.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2014, 08:30 AM   #118
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Definitely a major consideration. We ripped a side wall on a fallen branch in a 3/4 ton truck with E rated tires taking 100lbs of corn to a food plot.

We had a spare but the real issue was jacking up a truck that heavy on softer soil. It is easy to change a tire in the garage on the side of a paved road, not so easy in many off road situations.

As far as sidewall strength, the TrXus MT does have on hell of a side wall. I havenít heard of them ripping.

Just what I'm talking about, and besides no way to jack it up on soft stuff, it could be mud and on a slant.

That's what almost everyone says about the TrXus sidewall, so I'd be confidant on them. Thanks.
Unread 01-24-2014, 10:12 AM   #119
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If I don't know what im missing, Why did I just go and buy two of the top snow/ice rated tires they make? I DD 100+ a day, Plus the parts running, I know exactly what im gaining on days the TJ with kevlars gets out. The a/t's are nice and roll smooth, But have no huge biting edges like others.

Yeah, 55lbs is what I thought too! Decent tire, But not at that weight on a jeep.

If you get a flat in the backwoods its easy to change a tire. Sand, Gulch's, Thick clay mud or swampy black etc its the same. I have done it many times and by now its expected unless the tire precaution has been taken.
Hi-Lift jack and a 2"x12" foot pad for it, Or a couple logs or rocks. If it pushes them in, Add more.
Winch is best to have with accessory bag, Snatch block and straps/tree saver. Rig it up with a strap around the axle, String it through trees until it lifts that tire. Might take some time, But it has to be fixed regardless and I have done it many times on the farm with fence posts.

Either tire will do what you are looking for, Plain and simple. But the more pro/con, The Kevlar is going to win every time. Its too versatile of a tire that it is used in everything, Everywhere. The trxus, The PNW guys like this and toyo m/t's. Great tires too for their environment.

I highly doubt you will be disappointed in the trxus, You just have to buy them and try them in your area and elements. The kevlars have not been around forever, So drop them from the list, Id either be on TSL SX's or mud grapplers. Every tire will fail, None is exempt, Good luck.
Unread 01-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #120
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If I don't know what im missing, Why did I just go and buy two of the top snow/ice rated tires they make? I DD 100+ a day, Plus the parts running, I know exactly what im gaining on days the TJ with kevlars gets out. The a/t's are nice and roll smooth, But have no huge biting edges like others.

Yeah, 55lbs is what I thought too! Decent tire, But not at that weight on a jeep.

If you get a flat in the backwoods its easy to change a tire. Sand, Gulch's, Thick clay mud or swampy black etc its the same. I have done it many times and by now its expected unless the tire precaution has been taken.
Hi-Lift jack and a 2"x12" foot pad for it, Or a couple logs or rocks. If it pushes them in, Add more.
Winch is best to have with accessory bag, Snatch block and straps/tree saver. Rig it up with a strap around the axle, String it through trees until it lifts that tire. Might take some time, But it has to be fixed regardless and I have done it many times on the farm with fence posts.

Either tire will do what you are looking for, Plain and simple. But the more pro/con, The Kevlar is going to win every time. Its too versatile of a tire that it is used in everything, Everywhere. The trxus, The PNW guys like this and toyo m/t's. Great tires too for their environment.

I highly doubt you will be disappointed in the trxus, You just have to buy them and try them in your area and elements. The kevlars have not been around forever, So drop them from the list, Id either be on TSL SX's or mud grapplers. Every tire will fail, None is exempt, Good luck.
I checked out this Interco tire - it comes in a 32x11.5-16, but is really 31.5x10.10-16 on a 16x8 and has 4 ply sidewalls! and 24/32" = 3/4" tread. This sounds like the ultimate tough tire. I could run this from Mar to Dec on the stock Moabs and change out to the Grabber AT2s in Winter. I wouldn't have to buy any more wheels. The down sides are 1) $313 a tire and 2) 58 lbs. However, I would only need to buy 4, because I wouldn't be able to change out an 84 lb spare anyway, since I can barely rassle the 72 lb Moab/Grabber AT2 on and off. I appreciate your mentioning them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.