TrXus best all around MT? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > TrXus best all around MT?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Reply
Unread 01-14-2014, 06:25 AM   #91
sunsetclb
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edgewater, Md
Posts: 155
I think he wants his post count up...

sunsetclb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 06:04 PM   #92
Ken Cooke
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 326
My 120,000 mile TrXus MT report

In 2003, with a new Rubicon, a lift and new wheels, I bolted on a set of 33" TrXus MTs and 'wheeled the snot out of my Jeep. I ran TrXus MTs from 2003 until Jan. 2013 due to my TrXus MTs being worn down and coming across a set of used BFG AT/KOs. I really liked running the TrXus MTs, but as they wore down past the 3rd (middle) wear bar, they do become noisy, and they don't grip as well. They are not necessarily noisy tires, and they handle well on the street under in-climate circumstances. Sometimes they balance well, sometimes they don't. When you purchase them, be sure to discuss this with the retailer. I bought so many TrXus MT tires over the past decade that they people at America's Tire always pointed out their warranty and satisfaction guarantee.

September 2004 issue of Four Wheel Drive and Sport Utility Magazine - photographed in Cantamar, BCN, Mexico.


2005 - New TrXus MTs at about $150/tire
[IMG][/IMG]

2006


2007 - New TrXus MTs - $180/tire


2008 - First flat - a sharp stick in the sand at the beach south of San Felipe, Baja California. The tire was plugged when I got home from this trip.

'Wheeling on the same trip with the spare tire - no problem since you can trust a TrXus MT sidewall.


2009


2010


2011


2012
Near the end of these tires usefulness with about 33,000 miles and 5 years of use
Ken Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #93
Ed209
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Claremore, OK
Posts: 350
Thanks for the great TrXus review, covering several yrs. You've validated their sidewall toughness very convincingly. But, I guess I can safely assume you've never been in snow/ice.

Who's that guy in the green Rubi with what looks like a 16x8 Alcoa Tomb Raider spare? Tell him I'd like to buy the whole set, I want a set of those in the worst way.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 09:23 PM   #94
Ken Cooke
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 326
Don't Assume: No Snow and Ice Experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Thanks for the great TrXus review, covering several yrs. You've validated their sidewall toughness very convincingly. But, I guess I can safely assume you've never been in snow/ice.

Who's that guy in the green Rubi with what looks like a 16x8 Alcoa Tomb Raider spare? Tell him I'd like to buy the whole set, I want a set of those in the worst way.
In 2004, I ran up to the Charcoal Kilns in Panamint Valley (Near Death Valley, CA), and I was ahead of the group. The trip leader was right behind me. My TrXus MTs grabbed the ice and threw the snow so well that I was able to climb the trail until I lost full traction and flew down the trail in reverse! For that reason, I can say that the TrXus MT has very good snow/ice traction.

I was also in Big Bear, CA for a series of winter mountain runs that led the entire club along snow and ice-covered streets and trails. These tires did just as well as the all-terrain tires on the street, but out-performed them on the trail thanks to their large lugs.

In 2006, I ran with a group from the Rubicon Owners of CA and JustRuns of San Diego to the Copper Canyon in Chihuahua, Mexico. The conditions there were adverse with mud-covered trails, snow and ice on the roads. At 9:30, listen to Powell describe vehicle recovery with his $50,000.00 Rubicon running TrXus MTs


The Tomb Raider wheels are available from Alcoa - I had a set of 5 that I sold for $250/each to a Jeeper in Canada in 2003. The ones that you see on the green Jeep are probably Alcoas, but the Jeep was sold by its owner several years ago at the start of the great recession.
Ken Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 12:21 AM   #95
Ed209
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Claremore, OK
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Cooke View Post
In 2004, I ran up to the Charcoal Kilns in Panamint Valley (Near Death Valley, CA), and I was ahead of the group. The trip leader was right behind me. My TrXus MTs grabbed the ice and threw the snow so well that I was able to climb the trail until I lost full traction and flew down the trail in reverse! For that reason, I can say that the TrXus MT has very good snow/ice traction.

I was also in Big Bear, CA for a series of winter mountain runs that led the entire club along snow and ice-covered streets and trails. These tires did just as well as the all-terrain tires on the street, but out-performed them on the trail thanks to their large lugs.

In 2006, I ran with a group from the Rubicon Owners of CA and JustRuns of San Diego to the Copper Canyon in Chihuahua, Mexico. The conditions there were adverse with mud-covered trails, snow and ice on the roads. At 9:30, listen to Powell describe vehicle recovery with his $50,000.00 Rubicon running TrXus MTs

The Tomb Raider wheels are available from Alcoa - I had a set of 5 that I sold for $250/each to a Jeeper in Canada in 2003. The ones that you see on the green Jeep are probably Alcoas, but the Jeep was sold by its owner several years ago at the start of the great recession.
Had no idea there was snow in Cal, especially DV, or Mex! Impressive performance by the TrXus, which is clearly more than capable for what I see here in Okla. Thanks again for all the info and video!

I checked with Alcoa a while back, and unfortunately, they no longer produce the 16" or 15" Jeep Alcoas.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 06:41 AM   #96
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BUM****, MO
Posts: 10,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Three sidewalls doesn't sound good to me - I drive around in woods full of beaver cut saplings. My '04 has been carrying around the brand new old MTR on the spare since it came off the lot. I keep thinking 4 new old stock will show up on Craig's list or eBay. I've even thought of a lift just to be able to use the military MTR.
What the side wall is made out of and how it is made is what matters. On my truck I have E rated tires and have ripped the side walls in the woods ( I live in the woods). The side walls on my truck tire are thinner the my C rated Trxus or the C rated MTRs I have had in the past.
__________________
Schitzangiggles: We used to teach our children to fight evil, now we teach them that fighting is evil.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:23 AM   #97
Ed209
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Claremore, OK
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
What the side wall is made out of and how it is made is what matters. On my truck I have E rated tires and have ripped the side walls in the woods ( I live in the woods). The side walls on my truck tire are thinner the my C rated Trxus or the C rated MTRs I have had in the past.
I was just surprised to hear a user had sidewall trouble with the TrXus, regardless of load rating or number of plies. Most users who have posted give them high marks in everything but wear and balancing.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 11:36 AM   #98
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BUM****, MO
Posts: 10,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
I was just surprised to hear a user had sidewall trouble with the TrXus, regardless of load rating or number of plies. Most users who have posted give them high marks in everything but wear and balancing.
Those have been my issues.

Anything is possible. I saw where a small stick went through the sidewall of an old design MTR after it had easily survived some fairly rough rocks.
__________________
Schitzangiggles: We used to teach our children to fight evil, now we teach them that fighting is evil.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #99
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,605
A couple friends of mine love them. One uses them on a TJ Rubi. The other on a Suburban

Very good on snow and mud. Reasonably good on ice (better than other MT).

Good on rocks he says, though that's not what they are made for.

Good on wet pavement.

Not overly loud on pavement. Quiet enough for an MT. Quieter than many other MT.

However, I have to note that when Interco claims they are quiet, I think they mean compared to Interco's more narly and loud MT. IMO

Still, not that noisy. A lot quieter than I expected when I rode in his Jeep. About typical for an MT. Maybe even a little quieter than a typical MT.

You will hear them, but they won't make you crazy. They are much quieter than the old version MTR that came stock on Rubicons. IMO based on being a passenger

The only downside they say is they wear out faster than most MT. However, they were also cheaper than most other MT too. Not sure about current costs.

The only other downside I have heard rumors of is hard to balance. Allegedly. Though neither of my friend complained about this, I've heard others complain of it. I don't know if it's really an issue.

They are heavy IMO, but that might be because they run larger per size than most other MT.

If I wanted an MT that could work good on ice, this would bexmy choice. If I wanted an MT for serious mud that could also drive on highway, this would be it.

The soft rubber and many sipes makes them good on snow and ice. The 3 stage outer lugs makes them really good in mud.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #100
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BUM****, MO
Posts: 10,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Not overly loud on pavement. Quiet enough for an MT. Quieter than many other MT.

However, I have to note that when Interco claims they are quiet, I think they mean compared to Interco's more narly and loud MT. IMO

Still, not that noisy. A lot quieter than I expected when I rode in his Jeep. About typical for an MT. Maybe even a little quieter than a typical MT.


My Trxus MTs are much quieter than my old school MTRs were and much quieter than other mud tires my friends run.
__________________
Schitzangiggles: We used to teach our children to fight evil, now we teach them that fighting is evil.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #101
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
My Trxus MTs are much quieter than my old school MTRs were and much quieter than other mud tires my friends run.
Sounds like my experiences with being a passenger in a TJ with Trxus MT and a driver in a TJ with old school MTR. The MTR were loud. The old school MTR sounded like a growling dog was in Jeep.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 01:26 PM   #102
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,605
Hey Ed, regarding the MTR-Kevlar. i.e. - new school MTR-K.

I don't know that they fit any major classification, but I think of it as a really tough hybrid.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #103
Ed209
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Claremore, OK
Posts: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Hey Ed, regarding the MTR-Kevlar. i.e. - new school MTR-K.

I don't know that they fit any major classification, but I think of it as a really tough hybrid.
Whatever it is, users haven't been complaining about sidewall damage. If only GY would use Kevlar in the Duratrac, and eliminate the weak sidewall knock against them.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:10 PM   #104
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Whatever it is, users haven't been complaining about sidewall damage. If only GY would use Kevlar in the Duratrac, and eliminate the weak sidewall knock against them.
If you aren't doing hard rock crawling on a regular basis, the Duatrac are plenty tough enough, and they are light and ride quality is reasonably good. So there's a couple areas where Duratrac are IMO better than MTR-K.

Ed, do you do hard core rock crawling often? If not, stop worrying about sidewalls.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2014, 02:48 PM   #105
Ross
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BUM****, MO
Posts: 10,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
If you aren't doing hard rock crawling on a regular basis, the Duatrac are plenty tough enough, and they are light and ride quality is reasonably good. So there's a couple areas where Duratrac are IMO better than MTR-K.

Ed, do you do hard core rock crawling often? If not, stop worrying about sidewalls.
I have seen people go into a mud hole and rip a side wall on something know body ever say. I have seen sidewalls rip because somebody slips into something on an easy trail.
__________________
Schitzangiggles: We used to teach our children to fight evil, now we teach them that fighting is evil.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.