TrXus best all around MT? - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > TrXus best all around MT?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-11-2014, 04:37 AM   #61
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
I have 13k on a set of 35" MT/R K's and they are wearing very evenly.Then again I actually check the tire pressures weekly,rotate and balance them every 1500 miles,and keep the alignment good(checked every 1500 miles).

No tire will wear evenly unless you actually do a little work.
If that's what it takes to make MTRKs wear evenly, I wouldn't put them on if they were a gift.

Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #62
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It's not, I rotated mine every second oil change and had no problems.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 05:26 AM   #63
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
If that's what it takes to make MTRKs wear evenly, I wouldn't put them on if they were a gift.
I'm a little more OCD about maintenance then most since I get to see daily what neglect does to vehicles.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #64
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

1500 seems a little over the top, but I do think MTRs like to be rotated more frequently than most tires. I rotate mine every 3k. On my third set. Best multi-use tire for our application out there.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #65
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
It's not, I rotated mine every second oil change and had no problems.
That's more reasonable and what I do too. My tire shop gives free rotations every 7000 miles with a new set of tires.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #66
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
1500 seems a little over the top, but I do think MTRs like to be rotated more frequently than most tires. I rotate mine every 3k. On my third set. Best multi-use tire for our application out there.
3000 is over the top in my book. It's got to be that wanked up tread pattern. Have you actually run the TrXus to know it's not as good or better than MTRKs?
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:25 AM   #67
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
3000 is over the top in my book. It's got to be that wanked up tread pattern. Have you actually run the TrXus to know it's not as good or better than MTRKs?
No I haven't. If I wanted a true MT with a softer compound they are one I would consider, although probably would not be my choice. But for how my jeep is used I want a multi-use tire that will last longer. I'd rather rotate tires every 3k than buy new ones twice as often.
Unread 01-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #68
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The mt/r is 'maximum traction/reinforced' with Kevlar. Not a 'mud tire'.

No way in hell the trxus will last longer than kevlars, I have over 35k on mine now as I have been DD it again as my truck is down. We have had ice the last week and I have had nothing but maximum traction on ice.

Mine are currently sitting at 13/32's give or take what the rear Detroit chews.

But why not go with the trxus? You narrowed it down, It will suit you best, You only drive X amount of miles in it a year, how can you go wrong with a tire you piced and have done the homework?

Unless you think there is a better or don't want to run them for any reason, The Kevlar is the closest tire you will find. They just have a 'look' you don't like, That's cool, I didn't either until I tried them.
Whats the reason for not pulling the trigger on the trxus?
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:17 PM   #69
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
The more aggressive the tire the more often it should be rotated,alot sooner if you have a auto locker.Also if you fail to fix scrub radius and SAI angles if you lift your rig you need to rotate more often.But hey I get paid to rotate/balance my tires and to check the alignment so why not do it often?Besides my Jeep does not get driven that much,1500 miles used to take 6 months but now will take a year after picking up a '03 Town Car and the MT/R K's are wheeling tires only as I run Destination MT's for daily driven tires.

I have run both the Trxus MT and the MT/R K's(and old style MT/R's) and the MT/R K's(and old style MT/R's) wins hands down.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #70
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
The mt/r is 'maximum traction/reinforced' with Kevlar. Not a 'mud tire'...
It doesn't say mud tire on the sidewall, but they work pretty good in the mud.

At least as good or better than other tires that say mud on the side.
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:35 PM   #71
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
It doesn't say mud tire on the sidewall, but they work pretty good in the mud.

At least as good or better than other tires that say mud on the side.

I think they do well for being a traction tire. Clean out with little to no wheel spin. Anything better would have to be a mud grappler or Irok/bogger, Dedicated off road tires.

You can only expect so much out of a tire. If you want performance here, It will lack there. Best happy medium is the Kevlar or MTZ IMO. Have had great experience with both traction, Durability and going the distance mileage wise.

I also rotate at 3k or before. If at 3k, that's because I was lazy. I want the best wear and grip, I have had these same kevlars doing the same routine going on four years in april.
Unread 01-11-2014, 09:13 PM   #72
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The mt/r is 'maximum traction/reinforced' with Kevlar. Not a 'mud tire'.

No way in hell the trxus will last longer than kevlars, I have over 35k on mine now as I have been DD it again as my truck is down. We have had ice the last week and I have had nothing but maximum traction on ice.

Mine are currently sitting at 13/32's give or take what the rear Detroit chews.

But why not go with the trxus? You narrowed it down, It will suit you best, You only drive X amount of miles in it a year, how can you go wrong with a tire you piced and have done the homework?

Unless you think there is a better or don't want to run them for any reason, The Kevlar is the closest tire you will find. They just have a 'look' you don't like, That's cool, I didn't either until I tried them.
Whats the reason for not pulling the trigger on the trxus?
I'm in no hurry. I'm also looking at the Pro Comp Xtreme MT 2, which has a harder compound than the TrX and a 40K mile warranty.

Of course the TrXus, a true soft compound MT, won't last as long as the MTRK street compound tire. And how could MTRK be the closest to what I want, when you just said it's not even an MT. I said from the git-go that I'm going to an MT, not a hybrid, especially one which only has serious looking tread on the outer half of the tire.
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:50 PM   #73
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm in no hurry. I'm also looking at the Pro Comp Xtreme MT 2, which has a harder compound than the TrX and a 40K mile warranty.

Of course the TrXus, a true soft compound MT, won't last as long as the MTRK street compound tire. And how could MTRK be the closest to what I want, when you just said it's not even an MT. I said from the git-go that I'm going to an MT, not a hybrid, especially one which only has serious looking tread on the outer half of the tire.

Im not trying to sell ya on something you don't want, If you think it will lack in mud you are wrong. That and it being a hybrid? Far from it, Just a first of its kind asymmetrical tread that does above and beyond any tire in its class, For not being a 'mud' tire.

Just curious why you questioned them after its pretty much what you want. But at 30k tops, And you can find something comparable with a 40k minimum, Well that's a no brainer.
Good luck either way, If you are not in a hurry it helps compare with no time 'need' looming over.
Unread 01-11-2014, 10:58 PM   #74
FAW-CAN-ADIAN
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wheelin around the west coast of BC the mtrs will outlast the trxus hands down..I have also seen three trxus sidewall failures.never seen an mtr sidewall fail..damn pokey roots.Either way,both good tires..I would still like to kick mr Goodyear in the balls for retiring the old style mtr.
FAW-CAN-ADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2014, 07:39 AM   #75
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Im not trying to sell ya on something you don't want, If you think it will lack in mud you are wrong. That and it being a hybrid? Far from it, Just a first of its kind asymmetrical tread that does above and beyond any tire in its class, For not being a 'mud' tire.

Just curious why you questioned them after its pretty much what you want. But at 30k tops, And you can find something comparable with a 40k minimum, Well that's a no brainer.
Good luck either way, If you are not in a hurry it helps compare with no time 'need' looming over.
Let me get this straight, it's not MT, not a hybrid, and it's above and beyond any tire in it's class - what class? GY say's it's a street tire!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.