TrXus best all around MT? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > TrXus best all around MT?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 01-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #46
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post

Mine seem to wear about the same but once they start they go faster between big business and government?
It seems all softer compound tires wear faster as they get miles on them.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #47
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Here's what my TrXus MT's looked like after 3 years, daily driver, probably 20,000 plus miles on them.

Attachment 985706

If I remember right they started with 5 "layers" of tread...see the edges on the nobs, and there were three left when I sold it.
They don't look that bad to me after 3 yrs of driving every day on pavement. MTs aren't for DD and if you do it, don't expect long life. It would take me at least 5 yrs to put 20K on my Rubi.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #48
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
They don't look that bad to me after 3 yrs of driving every day on pavement. MTs aren't for DD and if you do it, don't expect long life. It would take me at least 5 yrs to put 20K on my Rubi.
I got 50K out of my Old school MTRs, not a mud tire, but still you can get decent life out of some more aggressive tires.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #49
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree, they had a lot of life left in them when I sold the YJ....lasted way longer than my MTRk's did.

The MTRk's aren't mud terrains though...so there's always a bit of confusion there by some people. (More Traction Radial)

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 01-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #50
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree, they had a lot of life left in them when I sold the YJ....lasted way longer than my MTRk's did.

The MTRk's aren't mud terrains though...so there's always a bit of confusion there by some people. (More Traction Radial)
"Mud terrain" means nothing, its just a marketing term.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #51
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
By that logic neither does All Terrain.

Unread 01-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #52
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All this time I thought "Mud Terrain" meant terrain which is muddy.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #53
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All this time I thought "Mud Terrain" meant terrain which is muddy.
What does it mean when its on a tire sidewall? Its the name of the tire.

Who names tires and how do they get their name?

My tires say "Extreme Terrain" on the sidewall.
Unread 01-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #54
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mud terrain, bigger blocks, bigger voids, etc...than All Terrains.....I don't think that part is just a marketing term....it actually implies it's intended use. Now, Extreme Terrain, Wild Peak, DuraTrac...and the such are marketing terms, names to make them sound cool, or try too.

Unread 01-10-2014, 06:22 PM   #55
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Mud terrain, bigger blocks, bigger voids, etc...than All Terrains....
Doesn't MTRk fit this definition?

Quote:
....I don't think that part is just a marketing term....it actually implies it's intended use. Now, Extreme Terrain, Wild Peak, DuraTrac...and the such are marketing terms, names to make them sound cool, or try too.
So BFG MTs earned their mud terrain name because of intended use?

Its good marketing and it appears to have tricked you.
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #56
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Doesn't MTRk fit this definition?

So BFG MTs earned their mud terrain name because of intended use?

Maximum Traction Radial I believe is what MTR stands. It is an aggressive tire that could be used in mud. I was not accurate when I said it was not a mud tire, it works well in mud, esp the new ones.. What I ment was the MT in MTR did mean mud terrain.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #57
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not really.

Like I said I've had TrXus MT's, GY MTR's and GY MTRk's....the TrXus cleaned out better than both of those, in the mud and snow.

The people buying the new Cherokee have been fooled by marketing...not me.

Unread 01-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #58
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Need a good MT, which will serve as an excellent snow/ice tire when required. Not many fit the bill. Won't buy an MT with a wonk asymmetrical tread like the MTRK, which also looks directional to me, no matter what GY says. There's no way it could wear evenly. I don't mind wear if it's even and the tire stays round.

Given that, the TrXus is the only game in town, unless someone can name another true MT that can match it. Also not interested in any MT pretender like the thin sidewalled Duratrac bantamweight.
I have 13k on a set of 35" MT/R K's and they are wearing very evenly.Then again I actually check the tire pressures weekly,rotate and balance them every 1500 miles,and keep the alignment good(checked every 1500 miles).

No tire will wear evenly unless you actually do a little work.
Unread 01-10-2014, 11:35 PM   #59
FAW-CAN-ADIAN
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Maximum Traction Radial I believe is what MTR stands. It is an aggressive tire that could be used in mud. I was not accurate when I said it was not a mud tire, it works well in mud, esp the new ones.. What I ment was the MT in MTR did mean mud terrain.u
I thought mtr stood for maximum traction reinforced...at least that's what I thought my old school mtrs were..
FAW-CAN-ADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #60
RubiLongSox
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had a set of trxus on a z71. Probably the best MT tire that I've had. Make sure to rotate regularly for even wear. I got about 35,000 miles out of them on a fullsize truck so I'm sure they're last a little longer on a jeep. However, they were a little sketchy toward the end in the rain and stuff. I'd recommend them or the the Mickey thompson MTZ which has a decent amount of siping as well (for a mud tire).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.