TrXus best all around MT? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > TrXus best all around MT?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #31
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Chunking? happens to all tires if you rock crawl.
The narrow rims are harder to de-bead.
I run 8psi on a 15x8 steel with 35x12.5's. never a issue. what it does do is make you run less air on the road. Air up i am at 27 with C rated mtrks to get even wear. Scalloping you need to rotate more, or check ball joints.

Unread 01-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #32
Gates72ss
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ran them , they were a decent tire..
But are they the best all around MT ?
Thats a matter of opinion and you will hear both sides of the fence , i would say not and i like them...
Gates72ss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #33
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

I ran a set,265/75R16's, before my SFA swap.Good tires,sucked on the rocks compared to MT/R's(old style and Kevlars) but yes have great wet weather and snow/ice traction.Balanced pretty well till I abused them to much and broke some belts in 2 of the tires.Since the price hike on them a few years ago I would not choose to run them again when MT/R K's are a better overall tire and far cheaper.

Abusing them at 10psi.................
Unread 01-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #34
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Chunking? happens to all tires if you rock crawl.
The narrow rims are harder to de-bead.
I run 8psi on a 15x8 steel with 35x12.5's. never a issue. what it does do is make you run less air on the road. Air up i am at 27 with C rated mtrks to get even wear. Scalloping you need to rotate more, or check ball joints.
I figured since most are running 15x8 with 12.5s, 15x7s would be the right choice for 10.5 and I'd have to run somewhere between 25 to 29 on pavement and your numbers verify.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #35
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gates72ss View Post
Ran them , they were a decent tire..
But are they the best all around MT ?
Thats a matter of opinion and you will hear both sides of the fence , i would say not and i like them...
I should have used the title "TrXus work good on snow/ice?". Just wanted to find out if TrXus is an MT I could use all yr round like Interco claims, instead of running ATs in Winter and MTs in warm weather.
Unread 01-10-2014, 01:36 AM   #36
justanotherjpr

Just switched from a set of 33" TrXus to a new set of 35" MTR/K. Much prefer the new MTR/K. IMO it is better in snow/ice than the TrXus.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #37
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002 View Post
I ran a set,265/75R16's, before my SFA swap.Good tires,sucked on the rocks compared to MT/R's(old style and Kevlars) but yes have great wet weather and snow/ice traction.Balanced pretty well till I abused them to much and broke some belts in 2 of the tires.Since the price hike on them a few years ago I would not choose to run them again when MT/R K's are a better overall tire and far cheaper.

Abusing them at 10psi.................
I don't abuse like that - I'd have driven over where that guy is standing.

31x10.5-15 TrXus cost is about same as MTRKs, but I don't like asymmetrical treads in general, and especially the MTRK's. Thanks for the pic.
Unread 01-10-2014, 02:06 AM   #38
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Just switched from a set of 33" TrXus to a new set of 35" MTR/K. Much prefer the new MTR/K. IMO it is better in snow/ice than the TrXus.
Could be, but I wish GY had just added Kevlar to the old MTR sidewall and added sipes to make it work in snow/ ice, instead of coming up with that asymmetrical tread.
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM   #39
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
My jeep has become more of a daily driver. I am hearing allot of good things about the new MTRs. The old MTRs wore really well and were great when I was in SoCAL. After moving to MO there were a few situations (winter included) were they left much to be desired.

I would like to get a better wearing tire next time around but really don't want to sacrifice on its performance. Seems the new MTRs are a strong contender, how do they wear?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #40
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
I don't abuse like that - I'd have driven over where that guy is standing.

31x10.5-15 TrXus cost is about same as MTRKs, but I don't like asymmetrical treads in general, and especially the MTRK's. Thanks for the pic.
TrXus MTs are great because how well they perform but suck because of how they wear. Unless you need the performance the TrXus MTs offer I wouldn't get them.

Unread 01-10-2014, 08:11 AM   #41
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
TrXus MTs are great because how well they perform but suck because of how they wear. Unless you need the performance the TrXus MTs offer I wouldn't get them.
Need a good MT, which will serve as an excellent snow/ice tire when required. Not many fit the bill. Won't buy an MT with a wonk asymmetrical tread like the MTRK, which also looks directional to me, no matter what GY says. There's no way it could wear evenly. I don't mind wear if it's even and the tire stays round.

Given that, the TrXus is the only game in town, unless someone can name another true MT that can match it. Also not interested in any MT pretender like the thin sidewalled Duratrac bantamweight.
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:20 AM   #42
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Need a good MT, which will serve as an excellent snow/ice tire when required. Not many fit the bill. Won't buy an MT with a wonk asymmetrical tread like the MTRK, which also looks directional to me, no matter what GY says. There's no way it could wear evenly. I don't mind wear if it's even and the tire stays round.

Given that, the TrXus is the only game in town, unless someone can name another true MT that can match it. Also not interested in any MT pretender like the thin sidewalled Duratrac bantamweight.
I have wheeled next to the new MTRs and know people who run them and have heard and seen nothing but good things. My goal is performance (sidewall strength is very important), and longevity. I will sacrifice on noise and ride quality if need be. TrXus MTs definitely have the performance part down, but not so much on the longevity.

Unread 01-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #43
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
My jeep has become more of a daily driver. I am hearing allot of good things about the new MTRs. The old MTRs wore really well and were great when I was in SoCAL. After moving to MO there were a few situations (winter included) were they left much to be desired.

I would like to get a better wearing tire next time around but really don't want to sacrifice on its performance. Seems the new MTRs are a strong contender, how do they wear?
I don't DD my Jeep much anymore and the MTR/Ks were only installed maybe a month ago, so I can't speak to wear.

What I can speak to is the very first thing I noticed about them which is how quiet and smooth they are compared to other tires I have run in the past. These include BFG AT, BFG MT (KM1), Grabber (original), MTR (original), xTerrain radial (not AT) and TrXus MT.

Granted, my TrXus were the last set before my MTR/K and they were just plain worn out but my Jeep is fun to drive again. It's quiet and smooth on the street and gets it done off road. Unless these wear like butter, I'll replace them with another set once they wear out.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #44
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's what my TrXus MT's looked like after 3 years, daily driver, probably 20,000 plus miles on them.

1086820710_wedsa-xl.jpg

If I remember right they started with 5 "layers" of tread...see the edges on the nobs, and there were three left when I sold it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #45
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
Here's what my TrXus MT's looked like after 3 years, daily driver, probably 20,000 plus miles on them.

Attachment 985706

If I remember right they started with 5 "layers" of tread...see the edges on the nobs, and there were three left when I sold it.
Mine seem to wear about the same but once they start they go faster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.