TrXus best all around MT? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > TrXus best all around MT?

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinAlloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-08-2014, 10:57 PM   #16
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
I think he had 33 x 12.5 R15s on an 8" wide steelie.

For the size you mentioned either a 7" or 8" wide rim would do just fine. I find that for a narrower tire there seem to be ample 7" wide rim choices that have a high enough backspacing that the tire will be almost entirely under your flares. That should help keep the Jeep a lot cleaner.
15x7 with 4.5 BS is perfect. 15x8 with 4.75 would work pretty well too. Since I don't plan to ever run anything over 31, I'm leaning toward 7s, which give plenty of LCA clearance and tucks under the Rubi flares nicely as you say, and Pro Comp Soft 8s offer 15x7 in 4.5 BS - made in US too, and only $59. If he's running a 12.5 on an 8, surely a 10.5 would work good on a 7.

Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #17
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post
Two pieces of advice

1 don't pay any mind to the rims thing a 7 inch will work but I run my 34x9.5 swampers on an 8 inch rim.
2 go 32 plus so that way you won't wanna change out as fast when you go bigger
Aren't you afraid of poppin a bead? I'm currently running 31x9.5-16 on the stock 16x8 Moabs, and don't feel good about it, even with pressures 30 and up. I'm staying stock hgt with 31s - don't want to get into chasing vibration problems that guys get with even a 2" lift.
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:25 PM   #18
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Correct! I wont run a flat out crap tire when there are a couple dozen better suited. To each their own, If you live in that much ice, It might be one of few options of tires. Good luck either way, There were a few members that used/still do run them that posted first hand.
Just kiddin man, I've learned a lot from your tire/wheel posts. Okla is bad about getting freezing rain, then arctic blast of cold air and snow on top of ice. Not real often, but enough to make ice performance a top priority.
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #19
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro06 View Post
I ran 33x12.5 TrXus MT's on my 95 YJ....they were great. I've ran MTRk's on my TJ and I now run Duratracs. When the time comes to move up to 35's, I want to go TrXus MT again. I loved them. They had a shortage for awhile do to manufacturing facility changes or something like that. The TrXus MT's worked great in mud, on rocks, in snow....and on the road in rain and snow, never had a balance issue either.
I've just recently become aware of the TrXus, so wasn't aware of a previous shortage. I assume that wouldn't be something to worry about in the future. Hope you don't run into balancing probs going up to 35s.

I'm sold on this MT, thanks to your positive comments along with the others.
Unread 01-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #20
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW-CAN-ADIAN View Post
I've had both old school mtrs and trxus..I would say the trxus were a little better the snow and but wore quicker..I haven't tried the new mtrs yet..i just bought a new set of duratracs..figured I would give them a go.I think you will be happy with the trxus.
The original, never used spare on my '04 is an old MTR that still looks brand new. Wish I could find 4 more like it for warm weather offroad. Since mine's not a DD except in bad weather, wear isn't a high priority, so you're right, Ithink the TrXus will be just the ticket. Thanks.
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #21
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209

Aren't you afraid of poppin a bead? I'm currently running 31x9.5-16 on the stock 16x8 Moabs, and don't feel good about it, even with pressures 30 and up. I'm staying stock hgt with 31s - don't want to get into chasing vibration problems that guys get with even a 2" lift.
Not at all. I air down to 10 psi and haven't lost a bead yet.
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:27 AM   #22
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
I've just recently become aware of the TrXus, so wasn't aware of a previous shortage. I assume that wouldn't be something to worry about in the future. Hope you don't run into balancing probs going up to 35s.

I'm sold on this MT, thanks to your positive comments along with the others.
I needed to get tires during that shortage. My understanding of what had happened was when Interco or some distributor or whoever was selling out there were issues with who owned the copy write or patent to the tread design. While that was being figured out there were no tires able to be made.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #23
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW-CAN-ADIAN View Post
I've had both old school mtrs and trxus..I would say the trxus were a little better the snow and but wore quicker..I haven't tried the new mtrs yet..i just bought a new set of duratracs..figured I would give them a go.I think you will be happy with the trxus.
We don't get the snow my way like you do but I did have the opportunity to do a few snow runs with the old school MTRs and my buddy had the TrXus MTs. The difference was incredible. My buddy was selling his 33 TrXus and going to 37 pitbulls. The performance was so much better on the TrXus that I bought them from my buddy and had them on my Jeep within the week.

Since then I have done snow runs with people having the new MTRs and they do very well in the snow, nothing at all like the old school MTRs.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM   #24
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a set of 31x10.50 TrXus MTs several years ago.

They wore terrible and they took a ton of weight to balance.

I wouldn't recommend them based on my experience.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #25
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
I had a set of 31x10.50 TrXus MTs several years ago.

They wore terrible and they took a ton of weight to balance.

I wouldn't recommend them based on my experience.
What wheels were you running them on?
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #26
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What wheels were you running them on?
Stock Grizzly wheels.
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #27
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Stock Grizzly wheels.
Probably the tire then. First neg review, maybe an old QC problem at Interco.
Unread 01-09-2014, 03:47 PM   #28
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Probably the tire then. First neg review, maybe an old QC problem at Interco.
Many people complain about tread wear with TrXus MTs.

I used the set I had for 15k miles and they had 25% tread left at that point.
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM   #29
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Many people complain about tread wear with TrXus MTs.

I used the set I had for 15k miles and they had 25% tread left at that point.
The question is did they wear evenly without scalloping or chunking. And if they wore irregularly, did you run correct pressures and rotate every 5000 or so. Mine's not a DD unless there's snow/ice, so wear is not a high priority.
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:46 PM   #30
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The question is did they wear evenly without scalloping or chunking. And if they wore irregularly, did you run correct pressures and rotate every 5000 or so. Mine's not a DD unless there's snow/ice, so wear is not a high priority.
Even tread wear, rotated every 3k miles with each oil change.

I missed the part where you mentioned tread wear not being a priority for you. When I was using TrXus MTs, my TJ was my DD, so I had different expectations.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.