TrXus best all around MT? - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > TrXus best all around MT?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 04-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #166
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Would TrXus do any better than these 33" KM2s, unlocked front & rear?
Yes. A friend of mine with Trxus MT ran circles around guys with KM2 in challenging mud.

Unread 04-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #167
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Would TrXus do any better than these 33" KM2s, unlocked front & rear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS3OErJE7xI
Doubtful. Given the way he was driving it he wouldn't have done any better with boggers. Wheel spin is needed to clean out the lugs and there was none there.

For all the KM2 haters out there, its clearly evident that the Truxus is such a better tire as evidenced by how many people run them on the trails.

I can count the number of wheelers I see wheeling them on less than 1 hand. in fact, I haven't seen a set of those on the trail in like 5 years. They are just so superior that everyone is running them.

Unread 04-07-2014, 08:50 AM   #168
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You need to come to the PNW where there are actually hills/mountains over 200'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
Doubtful. Given the way he was driving it he wouldn't have done any better with boggers. Wheel spin is needed to clean out the lugs and there was none there.

For all the KM2 haters out there, its clearly evident that the Truxus is such a better tire as evidenced by how many people run them on the trails.

I can count the number of wheelers I see wheeling them on less than 1 hand. in fact, I haven't seen a set of those on the trail in like 5 years. They are just so superior that everyone is running them.

tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #169
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophog View Post
You need to come to the PNW where there are actually hills/mountains over 200'
Didn't see anyone running them in the Rockies either, and those are certainly higher than 200'.

Unread 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #170
tophog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

They must had a rocky mountain "high"

Quote:
Didn't see anyone running them in the Rockies either, and those are certainly higher than 200'.

tophog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #171
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I think you're onto why a few don't like KM2s - not enough wheel spin to clear out along with no front locker to spin both fronts. I've seen lots of pics on here that show KM2s cleaning out nicely and going through axle deep mud.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #172
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

One advantage of smaller tire sizes is you can spin them faster with little fear of breakage.

Do that with a large tire size and breakage is more likely of a tire suddenly finds traction.

On the other hand, larger tires are less likely to need to be spun fast to get er done.
Unread 04-08-2014, 08:52 AM   #173
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I think you're onto why a few don't like KM2s - not enough wheel spin to clear out along with no front locker to spin both fronts. I've seen lots of pics on here that show KM2s cleaning out nicely and going through axle deep mud.
Yup, if you don't know how to drive or simply don't have enough power to spin the tires it doesn't matter what type of MT it is, you'll just clog up the lugs and that makes forward progress tough, regardless of tire choice. You might as well be running an AT if you aren't going to use them to their fullest potential.
Unread 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #174
CJ7nvrstk
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
One advantage of smaller tire sizes is you can spin them faster with little fear of breakage.

Do that with a large tire size and breakage is more likely of a tire suddenly finds traction.

On the other hand, larger tires are less likely to need to be spun fast to get er done.
Be careful with saying you can spin smaller tires with little fear of breakage as that is simply not true. If that were the case, I wouldn't have broken a R&P while running 31s and then grenaded the carrier the next year. Bad advice read on the Internet can cause some bad feelings.

As for your last statement as well, you still need to spin with the larger tires to clear mud.
Unread 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #175
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I watched the km2 fail time after time. When I ran them I had more than plenty of enough 'wheel speed' to clean them out. Plus their sidewall is a step above their a/t so lacks their too.
Its BFG best attempt at the worst copy ever made. They are nowhere close to the krawlers they copied them after. They actually got the job done and had deep tread voids, Unlike the km2 turf tamer tread. In my area, Nobody runs the **** km2's and highly doubtful that will change.
Maybe some soccer moms do at the grocery store, But not on the trails or back roads where I spend the vast majority of my time.
Unread 04-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #176
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Be careful with saying you can spin smaller tires with little fear of breakage as that is simply not true. If that were the case, I wouldn't have broken a R&P while running 31s and then grenaded the carrier the next year. Bad advice read on the Internet can cause some bad feelings.

As for your last statement as well, you still need to spin with the larger tires to clear mud.
Huh. Well I used to spin 235 ATs like crazy in mud and got through with no breakage. Did that for years with no problems, but I'm sure anything can break.

When I had larger MT (33s are large to me) I never had to spin them because they got it done without needing that.

But of course deeper gooier mud could still make spinning a larger tire necessary.

There are no guarantees, but when spinning tires fast and getting after it hard, which is more likely to break something? Small or large tires? Each person can decide and draw their own conclusions.
Unread 04-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #177
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think Ed (the OP) was asking about 31" Trxus MT.

In that size I think they'd be reasonably civilized on road and reasonably easy to balance.

For mud, Trxus MT have 3 stage outer lugs, which clean well according to every Trxus MT user I've known.

Life, wear, and durability were already discussed.

Is there anything about Trxus MT that hasn't already been covered in this thread?
Unread 04-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #178
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I think Ed (the OP) was asking about 31" Trxus MT.

Is there anything about Trxus MT that hasn't already been covered in this thread?
Two things, TrXus MT has a channel running straight down the center of the tread I don't like, which can cause the car to follow irregularities on the road. And, they have a roundish cross section as opposed to square like the MTZ, which I also don't like, cause you have to run low pressures with 7" rims to get full tread contact, and I'm not a rock crawler.
Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #179
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
They have a roundish cross section as opposed to square like the MTZ, which I also don't like, cause you have to run low pressures with 7" rims to get full tread contact, and I'm not a rock crawler.
Use 15 x 8 wheels for 31 x 10.5 and you'll get a flatter contact patch with any brand tire. That would be especially helpful with Trxus MT. IMO
Unread 04-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #180
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing about center channel following irregularities in the road. I don't know.

How do you know?

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just curious.

That center groove probably provides some lateral traction off road and on Winter roads.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.