TrXus best all around MT? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > TrXus best all around MT?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 01-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TrXus best all around MT?

Interco says the TrXus is "magical" in ice and snow and has special cut proof sidewall compounds. A forum member said he switched from MTR/Ks to TrXus MT and they took minimal weight to balance. I'd planned on a set of KM2s this Spring, but might go to these instead(31x10.5-15). Would like to hear reviews from current users.

Ed209 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
Interco says the TrXus is "magical" in ice and snow and has special cut proof sidewall compounds. A forum member said he switched from MTR/Ks to TrXus MT and they took minimal weight to balance. I'd planned on a set of KM2s this Spring, but might go to these instead(31x10.5-15). Would like to hear reviews from current users.

Same 'magical' company that makes and keeps making, Thornturd's? Id believe the 'magical' part alright

My tires are magical too, Ever since the guy down the street sprinkled angel dust on them I have yet to slip a tire.
Unread 01-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #3
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ View Post
Same 'magical' company that makes and keeps making, Thornturd's? Id believe the 'magical' part alright

My tires are magical too, Ever since the guy down the street sprinkled angel dust on them I have yet to slip a tire.
I'm interested in hearing from actual users, rather than comedians who don't know ***** about the TrXus.
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Dude in the local Jeep club had some. Legitimately good traction on glare ice. Didn't wear or balance well though.

You have a DD or a long commute?
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I went from old school MTRs to the TrXus MTs. They wear faster than the old MTRs but other than that they are magical. They used to be impossible to balance but the last set I go had balance pads in the tire already on the rim they didn't take much weight to balance at all.

They are tough and great on wet, dry and slippery surfaces, (lots of ice and snow this week) and fairly quiet considering their design.

When I start my jeep this comes out the tailpipe:
Seriously they are do a great job on and off road!!

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #6
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
Dude in the local Jeep club had some. Legitimately good traction on glare ice. Didn't wear or balance well though.

You have a DD or a long commute?
That's good to hear, cause wear isn't a high priority and ice traction is. Also have to have mud capability for driving around in woods, trails, and unmaintained county roads. I don't do rocks or sand. It's a DD only when snow/ice move in(like last week and today), 50 miles round trip daily, and Interco says it's very quiet on pavement.
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Might be a good one for you then!

His seemed to flex nicely when aired down as well.
Unread 01-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I went from old school MTRs to the TrXus MTs. They wear faster than the old MTRs but other than that they are magical. They used to be impossible to balance but the last set I go had balance pads in the tire already on the rim they didn't take much weight to balance at all.

They are tough and great on wet, dry and slippery surfaces, (lots of ice and snow this week) and fairly quiet considering their design.

Seriously they are do a great job on and off road!!
Sounds like what I've been reading is true! I especially like the tough part, very important, as well as good on snow/ice. TrXus sounds like an MT with all the best AT capabilities, which I didn't think was possible, in spite of what Interco advertises. I may go ahead and switch from ATs to these right now, instead of waiting til Spring after the last snow.

Thanks for the review.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Ed209
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustler905 View Post
Might be a good one for you then!

His seemed to flex nicely when aired down as well.
That reminds me, even though I don't run aired down, I'd like to have that capability. What size tire does he run and what rim width? Mine's a stock '04 Rubicon and I'd be going to a 31x10.5-15 on a 15x7 or 15x8. Thanks.
Unread 01-08-2014, 04:11 PM   #10
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think he had 33 x 12.5 R15s on an 8" wide steelie.

For the size you mentioned either a 7" or 8" wide rim would do just fine. I find that for a narrower tire there seem to be ample 7" wide rim choices that have a high enough backspacing that the tire will be almost entirely under your flares. That should help keep the Jeep a lot cleaner.
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
Luke95
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Two pieces of advice

1 don't pay any mind to the rims thing a 7 inch will work but I run my 34x9.5 swampers on an 8 inch rim.
2 go 32 plus so that way you won't wanna change out as fast when you go bigger
Unread 01-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #12
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed209 View Post
I'm interested in hearing from actual users, rather than comedians who don't know ***** about the TrXus.

Correct! I wont run a flat out crap tire when there are a couple dozen better suited. To each their own, If you live in that much ice, It might be one of few options of tires. Good luck either way, There were a few members that used/still do run them that posted first hand.
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I ran 33x12.5 TrXus MT's on my 95 YJ....they were great. I've ran MTRk's on my TJ and I now run Duratracs. When the time comes to move up to 35's, I want to go TrXus MT again. I loved them. They had a shortage for awhile do to manufacturing facility changes or something like that. The TrXus MT's worked great in mud, on rocks, in snow....and on the road in rain and snow, never had a balance issue either.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I would think the balance issue becomes less apparent as you go smaller, too. i.e. It's easier to make a set of 31s balanced than 35s.
Unread 01-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
FAW-CAN-ADIAN
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I've had both old school mtrs and trxus..I would say the trxus were a little better the snow and but wore quicker..I haven't tried the new mtrs yet..i just bought a new set of duratracs..figured I would give them a go.I think you will be happy with the trxus.
FAW-CAN-ADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.