JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Tires & Wheels (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/)
-   -   TrXus best all around MT? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/trxus-best-all-around-mt-1973210/)

Ed209 01-08-2014 12:52 PM

TrXus best all around MT?

Interco says the TrXus is "magical" in ice and snow and has special cut proof sidewall compounds. A forum member said he switched from MTR/Ks to TrXus MT and they took minimal weight to balance. I'd planned on a set of KM2s this Spring, but might go to these instead(31x10.5-15). Would like to hear reviews from current users.

KKiowaTJ 01-08-2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed209 (Post 19226082)
Interco says the TrXus is "magical" in ice and snow and has special cut proof sidewall compounds. A forum member said he switched from MTR/Ks to TrXus MT and they took minimal weight to balance. I'd planned on a set of KM2s this Spring, but might go to these instead(31x10.5-15). Would like to hear reviews from current users.

Same 'magical' company that makes and keeps making, Thornturd's? Id believe the 'magical' part alright :rolleyes:

My tires are magical too, Ever since the guy down the street sprinkled angel dust on them I have yet to slip a tire.

Ed209 01-08-2014 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ (Post 19226890)
Same 'magical' company that makes and keeps making, Thornturd's? Id believe the 'magical' part alright :rolleyes:

My tires are magical too, Ever since the guy down the street sprinkled angel dust on them I have yet to slip a tire.

I'm interested in hearing from actual users, rather than comedians who don't know ***** about the TrXus. :laugh:

hustler905 01-08-2014 03:03 PM

Dude in the local Jeep club had some. Legitimately good traction on glare ice. Didn't wear or balance well though.

You have a DD or a long commute?

Ross 01-08-2014 03:16 PM

I went from old school MTRs to the TrXus MTs. They wear faster than the old MTRs but other than that they are magical. They used to be impossible to balance but the last set I go had balance pads in the tire already on the rim they didn't take much weight to balance at all.

They are tough and great on wet, dry and slippery surfaces, (lots of ice and snow this week) and fairly quiet considering their design.

When I start my jeep this comes out the tailpipe:
Seriously they are do a great job on and off road!!

Ed209 01-08-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hustler905 (Post 19230250)
Dude in the local Jeep club had some. Legitimately good traction on glare ice. Didn't wear or balance well though.

You have a DD or a long commute?

That's good to hear, cause wear isn't a high priority and ice traction is. Also have to have mud capability for driving around in woods, trails, and unmaintained county roads. I don't do rocks or sand. It's a DD only when snow/ice move in(like last week and today), 50 miles round trip daily, and Interco says it's very quiet on pavement.

hustler905 01-08-2014 03:43 PM

Might be a good one for you then!

His seemed to flex nicely when aired down as well.

Ed209 01-08-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross (Post 19230634)
I went from old school MTRs to the TrXus MTs. They wear faster than the old MTRs but other than that they are magical. They used to be impossible to balance but the last set I go had balance pads in the tire already on the rim they didn't take much weight to balance at all.

They are tough and great on wet, dry and slippery surfaces, (lots of ice and snow this week) and fairly quiet considering their design.

Seriously they are do a great job on and off road!!

Sounds like what I've been reading is true! I especially like the tough part, very important, as well as good on snow/ice. TrXus sounds like an MT with all the best AT capabilities, which I didn't think was possible, in spite of what Interco advertises. I may go ahead and switch from ATs to these right now, instead of waiting til Spring after the last snow.

Thanks for the review.

Ed209 01-08-2014 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hustler905 (Post 19231498)
Might be a good one for you then!

His seemed to flex nicely when aired down as well.

That reminds me, even though I don't run aired down, I'd like to have that capability. What size tire does he run and what rim width? Mine's a stock '04 Rubicon and I'd be going to a 31x10.5-15 on a 15x7 or 15x8. Thanks.

hustler905 01-08-2014 04:11 PM

I think he had 33 x 12.5 R15s on an 8" wide steelie.

For the size you mentioned either a 7" or 8" wide rim would do just fine. I find that for a narrower tire there seem to be ample 7" wide rim choices that have a high enough backspacing that the tire will be almost entirely under your flares. That should help keep the Jeep a lot cleaner.

Luke95 01-08-2014 05:13 PM

Two pieces of advice

1 don't pay any mind to the rims thing a 7 inch will work but I run my 34x9.5 swampers on an 8 inch rim.
2 go 32 plus so that way you won't wanna change out as fast when you go bigger

KKiowaTJ 01-08-2014 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed209 (Post 19229058)
I'm interested in hearing from actual users, rather than comedians who don't know ***** about the TrXus. :laugh:

Correct! I wont run a flat out crap tire when there are a couple dozen better suited. To each their own, If you live in that much ice, It might be one of few options of tires. Good luck either way, There were a few members that used/still do run them that posted first hand.

Jeffro06 01-08-2014 10:00 PM

I ran 33x12.5 TrXus MT's on my 95 YJ....they were great. I've ran MTRk's on my TJ and I now run Duratracs. When the time comes to move up to 35's, I want to go TrXus MT again. I loved them. They had a shortage for awhile do to manufacturing facility changes or something like that. The TrXus MT's worked great in mud, on rocks, in snow....and on the road in rain and snow, never had a balance issue either.

hustler905 01-08-2014 10:28 PM

I would think the balance issue becomes less apparent as you go smaller, too. i.e. It's easier to make a set of 31s balanced than 35s.

FAW-CAN-ADIAN 01-08-2014 10:32 PM

I've had both old school mtrs and trxus..I would say the trxus were a little better the snow and but wore quicker..I haven't tried the new mtrs yet..i just bought a new set of duratracs..figured I would give them a go.I think you will be happy with the trxus.

The time now is 09:30 AM.