Trouble picking new tires and wheels - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Tires & Wheels > Trouble picking new tires and wheels

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 04-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
sportsfan5303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Trouble picking new tires and wheels

I'm in the process of buying a 2014 anvil wrangler sport, I know I want to get it lifted w/ new wheels and tires as soon as possible. I have been looking around and I like some of the xd series and what fuel makes especially the all black pumps, but they only come in 20' and I'm afraid that's going to look to big. I also have pretty much 0 knowledge on tires, I will be taking it off-road everyone once in a while so I would like to be prepared for that(maybe once every two months). I also don't know a lot about lift kits so I don't know what to really look for in that. I do know I only want about a 2.5-3.5 inch lift. Iv read that the skyjacker is a pretty cheap lift but didn't get great reviews. Any input on any of this would be grateful, money isn't that big of an object but keep id like to keep it reasonable. Thanks

sportsfan5303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
CJ7nvrstk
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Prosper, Tx
Posts: 688
I wouldn't off road a 20 unless I was rolling on 40s. As for lifts, there are tons of choices. If just doing minimal wheeling and you don't plan on adding a lot of accessories (bumpers, winch, armor) you could just get by with a 2" budget boost. I have Old Man Emu springs on my Franken lift and am quite happy with it on my 2011 JKU.
__________________
4" shoe sucking mud, uphill, 2wd, no slippage on Cooper AT3? Ya, sure! NOT!
CJ7nvrstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #3
sportsfan5303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk
I wouldn't off road a 20 unless I was rolling on 40s. As for lifts, there are tons of choices. If just doing minimal wheeling and you don't plan on adding a lot of accessories (bumpers, winch, armor) you could just get by with a 2" budget boost. I have Old Man Emu springs on my Franken lift and am quite happy with it on my 2011 JKU.
Looking around on lifts, I was think going with a teraflex 3 inch lift without the shocks and then go with rancho 9000's. As for wheels I think I have chosen to go with 17 inch fuel hostage's. As i said in my post I have nearly no knowledge besides what Iv read in the last few days. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money on tires but I'd like to be prepared for when I go offroading
sportsfan5303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 07:12 AM   #4
CJ7nvrstk
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Prosper, Tx
Posts: 688
If you plan on TF lift, why not stick with TF shocks?

FWIW, I would likely go with Rock Krawler if I were you before TF. Don't get me wrong, but IMHO, you are paying more for name with TF.
__________________
4" shoe sucking mud, uphill, 2wd, no slippage on Cooper AT3? Ya, sure! NOT!
CJ7nvrstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
sportsfan5303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk
If you plan on TF lift, why not stick with TF shocks? FWIW, I would likely go with Rock Krawler if I were you before TF. Don't get me wrong, but IMHO, you are paying more for name with TF.
I like the rancho 9000's because of the ability to adjust how they ride whether I'm on the highway or wheeling.
sportsfan5303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,621
16" or 17" wheels would be much better off road than 20s.
__________________
Warning: Sometimes I edit a post a few times to get it how I want it.
Charley3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 05:18 AM   #7
CJ7nvrstk
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Prosper, Tx
Posts: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan5303 View Post
I like the rancho 9000's because of the ability to adjust how they ride whether I'm on the highway or wheeling.
Sweet.

Personally, I'm a big fan of 15" wheels on a JK. Some fit though and some don't. I personally have had Pro Comp 52s on 2 different JKs and can tell you they fit with no problems. Tires are a good bit cheaper as well though since you mentioned 20s I doubt you would want to go that route. BTW, a good rule of thumb i like to use if you are going to wheel your Jeep is you want the tire to be twice as tall as the wheel. This helps to protect those expensive wheels. So, if you have a 17" wheel, your tire shouldn't be shorter than a 34". If you're not going to wheel it, that's fine though personally, I don't like wheels bigger than 18" on any Jeep.

As for tire type, it depends on your intended uses. If you're not going to wheel it, an AT would be a good choice for wear, mileage, etc. or if you only stay on sand, a AT is a decent choice. Anything other than that and I prefer an MT for added traction and durability.

Hope this helps.
__________________
4" shoe sucking mud, uphill, 2wd, no slippage on Cooper AT3? Ya, sure! NOT!
CJ7nvrstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #8
sportsfan5303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk
Sweet. Personally, I'm a big fan of 15" wheels on a JK. Some fit though and some don't. I personally have had Pro Comp 52s on 2 different JKs and can tell you they fit with no problems. Tires are a good bit cheaper as well though since you mentioned 20s I doubt you would want to go that route. BTW, a good rule of thumb i like to use if you are going to wheel your Jeep is you want the tire to be twice as tall as the wheel. This helps to protect those expensive wheels. So, if you have a 17" wheel, your tire shouldn't be shorter than a 34". If you're not going to wheel it, that's fine though personally, I don't like wheels bigger than 18" on any Jeep. As for tire type, it depends on your intended uses. If you're not going to wheel it, an AT would be a good choice for wear, mileage, etc. or if you only stay on sand, a AT is a decent choice. Anything other than that and I prefer an MT for added traction and durability. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tire help, Iv pretty much ditched any idea of going with 20 inch wheels
sportsfan5303 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.